Martin Clear Fluorocarbons

Papa Tom

Reaction score
I just popped an A-string on my banjo uke. Unwilling to travel far to replace it, I went to the local music shop and grabbed a set of Martin Clear Fluorocarbon .0191 soprano strings. They seem much thinner than the Aquila Nylguts I had on there before, and they are not quite as loud.

I think I hate them and want to throw them away, but I always hate every new set of strings I buy. Will I get to like these, as I always do?

I use Worth fluorocarbon on almost all of my ukes. They have a higher tension and don't keep stretching the way that Aquila strings do. On mine they produce a bright sound

I'm a big fan of fluorocarbons in general. (I've gone to Seaguar fishing line on all but my tenor, and am using nylons on it because I got a great deal on them at a bluegrass festival.) Martins are fine strings, as are Worths. They'll sound different than Aquilas because they're made of a different material. To me, fluorocarbons sound more precise and feel better than the Nylguts, but your mileage may vary :D

I much prefer fluorocarbon strings over Aquilas. Oasis or Martin are my go to strings.

I just popped an A-string on my banjo uke. Unwilling to travel far to replace it, I went to the local music shop and grabbed a set of Martin Clear Fluorocarbon .0191 soprano strings. They seem much thinner than the Aquila Nylguts I had on there before, and they are not quite as loud.

I think I hate them and want to throw them away, but I always hate every new set of strings I buy. Will I get to like these, as I always do?
not quite as loud may be a blessing on a banjo uke:). I've had to tone mine down with a piece of foam stuffed inside. I like fluro and have not seen much difference except price between the different brands I've tried. Disclaimer: I've not tried them all.

OK, I've played them for a few days and stretched them out and I just don't like them. Before, my banjo uke was loud and obnoxious, like a banjo is supposed to be. Now it just sounds like another ukulele :(

On order of thickness I have seen the following (fattest to thinnest):

1. Nylon (over a dozen makers)
2. Nylgut (Aquila)
3. SuperNylgut (Aquila)
4. Lava (Aquila)
5. REDS (Aquila)
6. Fluorocarbon (over a dozen makers)

(I've never used 'gut' strings so I have no idea about them, the above is from actually USING all of the above strings on various ukuleles AND guitars, and yes, there are nylon, REDS, Nylguts and Fluorocarbon strings for classical guitar as well as ukulele)

As you go down the above list, the THINNER strings have a greater density, which allows them to achieve concert pitch at the proper tensions with less physical material. This by definition.

You can always remove the Martin strings and save them for another uke, and just go buy another set of the Aquila Nylgut strings. They are only like $5 everywhere now.

Many deals can be had online either from Strings By Mail, or from Strings and Beyond if you use the link in my signature below.

Last edited:
OK, I've played them for a few days and stretched them out and I just don't like them. Before, my banjo uke was loud and obnoxious, like a banjo is supposed to be. Now it just sounds like another ukulele :(

that's the reverse of what I would have thought...

>>>>perhaps some members of the domestic circle secretly rejoice when the sound is toned down a bit in the Papa Tom house?<<<<

Got a good laugh out of that one, but my banjo uke is only for certain situations, like Christmas singalongs, where my other ukes just don't cut through. I'm simply going to do what Booli suggested and put the Martins on a different uke after replacing them on my banjolele with nylguts or nylons.

Top Bottom