non-wound baritone strings

fowl

Reaction score
what companies sell baritone string sets in which all 4 strings are unwound nylon or fluorocarbon?

Worth Browns and Clears have all unwound sets for Baritone. You can get them at HMS or Strings and Beyond.

Living Water also has non wound baritone strings. You get them direct or from Uke Republic.

Almost forgot.....South Coast are another company as well

I like Living Waters reentrant high-D dgbe baritone strings. All fluorocarbon

South Coast fluorocarbon are available with no wound. I prefer them for my re-entrant bari

The Southcoast unwound set is reentrant only, right? Not linear? Also, is it meant to be tuned to Bb instead of G? As far as I remember, Dirk recommends this tuning to be used on a Baritone with (most of) his strings.

The Southcoast unwound set is reentrant only, right? Not linear? Also, is it meant to be tuned to Bb instead of G? As far as I remember, Dirk recommends this tuning to be used on a Baritone with (most of) his strings.

I'm using the Southcoast Medium Heavy as reentrant in G tuning and am very happy with them. A lot of raves about them on my Pono bari. I haven't looked at their linear sets, but I'm sure they have some for bari. It seems they have a great variety available and you can probably put together a set for different tunings. My particular bias is that I don't want any wound because 1) they don't last very long in my experience (days) and 2) not going for a "small guitar" sound

So with a re-entrant bari, I just play all the regular uke stuff like John King and Mckillop and ignore the fact that it is a fifth lower - not much quality bari specific music, so this works for me.

Your mileage may vary

Sopher

I'm using the Southcoast Medium Heavy as reentrant in G tuning and am very happy with them. A lot of raves about them on my Pono bari. I haven't looked at their linear sets, but I'm sure they have some for bari. It seems they have a great variety available and you can probably put together a set for different tunings. My particular bias is that I don't want any wound because 1) they don't last very long in my experience (days) and 2) not going for a "small guitar" sound

So with a re-entrant bari, I just play all the regular uke stuff like John King and Mckillop and ignore the fact that it is a fifth lower - not much quality bari specific music, so this works for me.

Your mileage may vary

Sopher

I have had a different experiemce with wound strings. I got four tenors with South Coast wound strings and some have lasted as long as 6 months with no noticable deterioration in sound from the wounds.

As sopher says, Southcoast has reentrant tunings for G (and perhaps lower - didn't look). They also have linear for C and Bb.

Living Waters come in linear or re-entrant both G and C tuning all unwound.

-Worth from Japan, both Clears and Browns are available, AFAIK tuning is DGBE
-Living Water from the UK, available in gCEA, GCEA, dGBE and DGBE
-Southcoast from the USA, check their website for options and tunings
-I'm pretty sure Guadalupe makes unwound Baritone strings

Top Bottom