PDA

View Full Version : non-wound baritone strings

fowl
11-28-2015, 10:15 AM
what companies sell baritone string sets in which all 4 strings are unwound nylon or fluorocarbon?

Rakelele
11-28-2015, 10:30 AM
Worth Browns and Clears have all unwound sets for Baritone. You can get them at HMS or Strings and Beyond.

DownUpDave
11-28-2015, 10:42 AM
Living Water also has non wound baritone strings. You get them direct or from Uke Republic.

Almost forgot.....South Coast are another company as well

igorthebarbarian
11-28-2015, 10:49 AM
I like Living Waters reentrant high-D dgbe baritone strings. All fluorocarbon

sopher
11-28-2015, 11:17 AM
South Coast fluorocarbon are available with no wound. I prefer them for my re-entrant bari

Rakelele
11-28-2015, 06:55 PM
The Southcoast unwound set is reentrant only, right? Not linear? Also, is it meant to be tuned to Bb instead of G? As far as I remember, Dirk recommends this tuning to be used on a Baritone with (most of) his strings.

sopher
11-28-2015, 11:42 PM
The Southcoast unwound set is reentrant only, right? Not linear? Also, is it meant to be tuned to Bb instead of G? As far as I remember, Dirk recommends this tuning to be used on a Baritone with (most of) his strings.

I'm using the Southcoast Medium Heavy as reentrant in G tuning and am very happy with them. A lot of raves about them on my Pono bari. I haven't looked at their linear sets, but I'm sure they have some for bari. It seems they have a great variety available and you can probably put together a set for different tunings. My particular bias is that I don't want any wound because 1) they don't last very long in my experience (days) and 2) not going for a "small guitar" sound

So with a re-entrant bari, I just play all the regular uke stuff like John King and Mckillop and ignore the fact that it is a fifth lower - not much quality bari specific music, so this works for me.

Your mileage may vary

Sopher

DownUpDave
11-29-2015, 12:09 AM
I'm using the Southcoast Medium Heavy as reentrant in G tuning and am very happy with them. A lot of raves about them on my Pono bari. I haven't looked at their linear sets, but I'm sure they have some for bari. It seems they have a great variety available and you can probably put together a set for different tunings. My particular bias is that I don't want any wound because 1) they don't last very long in my experience (days) and 2) not going for a "small guitar" sound

So with a re-entrant bari, I just play all the regular uke stuff like John King and Mckillop and ignore the fact that it is a fifth lower - not much quality bari specific music, so this works for me.

Your mileage may vary

Sopher

I have had a different experiemce with wound strings. I got four tenors with South Coast wound strings and some have lasted as long as 6 months with no noticable deterioration in sound from the wounds.

Jim Hanks
11-29-2015, 01:23 AM
As sopher says, Southcoast has reentrant tunings for G (and perhaps lower - didn't look). They also have linear for C and Bb.

SailingUke
11-29-2015, 04:22 AM
Living Waters come in linear or re-entrant both G and C tuning all unwound.

Rodney.
11-29-2015, 06:28 AM
-Worth from Japan, both Clears and Browns are available, AFAIK tuning is DGBE
-Living Water from the UK, available in gCEA, GCEA, dGBE and DGBE
-Southcoast from the USA, check their website for options and tunings
-I'm pretty sure Guadalupe makes unwound Baritone strings

fowl
11-29-2015, 01:23 PM
thanks for all the suggestions!