Finger pressure

Reaction score
So i have a $90 Uke Ashton UKE 240MH and unless I press EXTREMELYY hard all i get is a twang or muted sound. I have my fingers in the middle of the fret etc. I'm pushing as hard as I can, ive tried pushing with less pressure at all different levels but as I said it doesn't work out. Is this a sign of a cheap uke? I'm thinking of taking it back as I only got it a few days ago. please please help

My first instinct was to get the kala ka-c online, but stupidly i went to my local music store.

You can learn on the 'ukulele you have. Don't give up. Once you begin to enjoy playing you'll start to collect additional 'ukuleles.

First, I assume you have some sort of electronic tuning aid; a clip on device or a phone app that tells you the 'ukulele is in tune when you pluck an open string.

Second, you may be pressing too hard, or maybe your finger is extending over the top of the fret, or maybe another finger is touching the string and muting it. Look at this page;
http://ukuleleinthedark.com/ud-15-gripping-the-uke-too-tight/

If you have high tension strings, fretting the first fret can be difficult. Try starting with a C-chord. That requires that you fret only the first string (the string closest to the floor) at the third fret. Try this video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0mJxQbXWAc

You say you are pressing "in the middle of the fret." Do you mean you are pressing mid-way between the metal frets? Your finger should press the string right next to the fret. The closer to the fret you push, the less pressure you need to get a clean tone.

You say you are pressing "in the middle of the fret." Do you mean you are pressing mid-way between the metal frets? Your finger should press the string right next to the fret. The closer to the fret you push, the less pressure you need to get a clean tone.

This is extremely helpful and useful.

Also what Cam said is very true. I started with a uke that had no set up, played it for a couple months then had a set up done. Basically the strings are lowered closer to the fret board and all the fret wires are leveled. It made a world of DIFFERENCE, it was now effortless to play compared to before.

Agreed with above posters, all good advice. My first uke was not set up properly and the action was way too high/ made it difficult and painful to fret with my left hand. Thus why most UU members recommend buying from a recommended dealer like MIM's, HMS ukulele site, Uke Republic, etc. or from Flea/Fluke which have a great factory-level action.

+1 for setup, IMHO one of the reasons behind UAS is unconsciously looking for a great setup. Most new ukes come with higher action, cheap ones can be seriously high. Add low fret wire and ouch! Recipe for repetitive strain and bad fretting habits.

+1 for set up. I bought a $65 Rubin tenor with Aquila strings. It was difficult to play, however I live 4 miles from the Strum Shop which specializes in Ukes. They set up my Rubin for $20 and I changed to fluorocarbon strings and it was like a different instrument. I tried several different strings sets over the first few months and found that Phd strings were easiest on my fingers and gave me good sound.

If you have a shop near by that does Uke or Guitar work, take it to them and get an estimate for a set up. Try some different strings Fremonts, Phd's or other thin florocarbons seem to be the 'softest'.

And fret at the fret wire. Then have fun and play.

Top Bottom