Redwood/Walnut Soprano Ukulele - Production models ?

Ukador

Reaction score
Hello there !

I am currently looking for a Soprano Ukulele with claro or black walnut back and sides and a (curly) redwood top. Preferably with a walnut neck.

Are there any production models out there ? I haven't found anything so far :(

Thanks
Daniel/Ukador

With your specifications for a curly redwood top, walnut back, sides and neck...........short answer is no. Long answer is those wood types are premium, costly and not commonly used (though they are great together). So production ukes do not get made with non traditional wood combos, especially in a soprano size. Don't get mean wrong I think it would be a great soprano, you just won't find one off the shelf.

Well I already contacted several custom builders and I am surprised by the range of prices they ask. I think I have to make a deal with one of them as it really seems that there is no production Uke with these specs. But before that I have to decide between a Redwood top and a Spruce top (I've read that redwood is said to be a difficult wood to work with and that spruce (esp BEarclaw spruce) is a good alternative).

I've never heard cedar being difficult to work with other than it being softer. What's the sound you're going for? Spruce=brighter /Cedar=mellower.

I have the first CM Breedlove guitar made in 1992. It's in Claro Walnut and cedar top. It's a great sounding combination and looks incredible. It'd be a stunning uke for sure.

Ohana SK 42 is a redwood top with rosewood sides and back, all solid woods, in a soprano size. Redwood is typically warmer than spruce, all things being equal, ie the same builder. Rosewood is commonly used with redwood to help with projection and presence. Walnut will make for a warmer, woodier sounding uke. Again if it was made by the same builder. Good luck with your search

The Ohana looks like a good alternative. On a soprano, I'm not sure how much of an impact the back and sides are going to make. I've heard pros and cons that type of back and side wood make little difference on a ukulele.

John

Redwood has a deeper richer tone and spruce is crisper brighter tone. I have a redwood/walnut claro super concert
You will not find a production uke with this combo. Its gonna be costly, can i ask why you are so hard set on this
Combo?
Woods and materials is only partially responsible for the tone and voice,
The luthier too is an important factor, i suggest you talk to several luthiers
And do your research on them and their ukes. Good luck

Last edited:
Redwood has a deeper richer tone and spruce is crisper brighter tone. I have a redwood/walnut claro super concert
You will not find a production uke with this combo. Its gonna be costly, can i ask why you are so hard set on this
Combo?
Woods and materials is only partially responsible for the tone and voice,
The luthier too is an important factor, i suggest you talk to several luthiers
And do your research on them and their ukes. Good luck

Yes. Listen to the wise mystery man.

You are in Germany. Have you contacted Bruko to see what they can do?

Top Bottom