PDA

View Full Version : Thin body sopranos ?

pluck
11-30-2015, 12:36 PM
I'm a new Bruko enthusiast and I see they do a big business in thin body sopranos but I don't get it. Sopranos are already small, really small. Sometimes when I pick up my soprano I can't believe how small and light it is. So why would anyone sacrifice any sound quality to have an even smaller, lighter soprano? People seem to buy them so I must be missing something. Would someone put one in his suitcase?

connor013
11-30-2015, 01:06 PM
Yup my thin-bodied Bruko lives my backpack more or less all summer. It's comfortable to play, and I can't hear any discernible difference in volume or tone.

True, sopranos are already really small, but I do appreciate how little space the thin body takes up. If you're only carrying one bag, every bit helps.

pluck
11-30-2015, 01:30 PM
I guess that saves you from needing a gig bag. Can you get that neck thingy all the way in your backpack? Thanks for answering.

actadh
11-30-2015, 01:31 PM
My Brueko is full size, but my Zither Heaven ukes are thin body. Same length and width, but that thin body makes a difference. I can slide it on a shelf in my office, tuck in under my desk etc. and it is a great benefit when traveling.

Uke Republic now has thin body Bruekos, so try it, you may like it.

pluck
11-30-2015, 01:37 PM
I want Uke Republic to get the No. 9 tenor. It will fit in the trunk of my car I bet.

I think maybe I'm not a very on-the-go kind of person.

igorthebarbarian
11-30-2015, 06:21 PM
I have a thin-body Famous FS-0, which is basically Kiwaya's budget line in Japan.
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/guitarplanet/item/famous_fs-0_mahogany_soprano/
I like it for its portability/ ease of moving around/ I like playing it on the couch/just relaxing. Doesn't take up much space. It does sound basically like any other soprano despite the half-depth of it.
I think my next step is to try sopranino since this now feels "normal" sized.

coolkayaker1
11-30-2015, 07:11 PM
I, too, have a Kiwaya thinline uke, like Igorthebarbarian. I agree, it really sounds just the same--loudness, tone--as my full depth ukuleles.

So, to me, the question is not "why thin sopranos", but rather "why thick-bodied ones". ;)

pluck
12-01-2015, 01:52 AM
Hmmm. Maybe I've jumped to conclusions. I decided there was a sound difference after listening to the two videos of Bruko No. 6's that Uke Republic put on youtube. I own the full version and have never played the thin body version.