PDA

View Full Version : New strings!!

Still Water Weapons
11-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Not sure if this is where to post this so forgive if incorrect.

There was a post on here that I read last week about some Southcoast strings that had come back into stock. I think it was about linear tuning. Don't much 'bout that, but I did go check out the website and you guys were right it's kind of a confusing website. Long story short, I ended up ordering some Light Medium Gauge strings for my tenor. I just put them on and and MAN, these sound cool! I'm pretty new at this uke stuff, so I don't claim to have a great ear, but these things really have a nice "ring" to them, I suppose is one way to describe them. They are still stretching so I'm tuning every few minutes, but I'm very happy with them.

I also ordered a Soft Medium set, what can I expect different when I put those on?

These are on a Kala KMT if that is important.

Is it strange to remove strings to try new strings but save the old ones so you can try them again? I really want to hear the soft ones but I don't exactly want to cut off the ones I just put on. OH NO, do I need another uke? I think I'm feeling feverish...

--Not affiliated with Southcoast ukulele in any way. :)

Chris

igorthebarbarian
11-30-2015, 06:18 PM
Hi Chris, hola from Phoenix (SW desert as well). Yes, it sounds like you need to give in to your budding UAS (ukulele acquisition syndrome). I agree the Southcoast site is a little confusing too. I bought some linear low-D DGBE baritone strings from there (all non-wounds) and they're quite good. Although I may want to go re-entrant on that - or like you, hey I may need another baritone for that.
I think you'd be ok taking off strings and putting them back on. You just don't want to cut them too short. I've had that happen before where I cut it too short, then had a difficult time getting them back on later.

Jim Hanks
11-30-2015, 06:24 PM
Southcoast is my favorite string vendor because of all the options. Maybe I'm weird but I don't find the website confusing at all.

I would recommend keeping the LMU on for a while and enjoy them. I assume you are in standard C tuning with these. When you get ready to try the SMU set, tune them a step down to Bb tuning. They should be about the same tension as the LMU in C tuning, but will be a warmer tone and softer feel. Ahhhhhh. The reason I say enjoy the LMUs now iis that once you try Bb, you will not be going back so might as well get your money's worth now. :cool:

igorthebarbarian
11-30-2015, 06:55 PM
I'll agree with Jim that Bb is my favorite tuning for Tenors... so smoooooth and jazzy cool sounding.

Southcoast is my favorite string vendor because of all the options. Maybe I'm weird but I don't find the website confusing at all.

I would recommend keeping the LMU on for a while and enjoy them. I assume you are in standard C tuning with these. When you get ready to try the SMU set, tune them a step down to Bb tuning. They should be about the same tension as the LMU in C tuning, but will be a warmer tone and softer feel. Ahhhhhh. The reason I say enjoy the LMUs now iis that once you try Bb, you will not be going back so might as well get your money's worth now. :cool:

Still Water Weapons
12-01-2015, 02:59 AM
Oh great. Now I really need to check out those SMU strings. I came here for help and all I hear is (whispers..) "get a new uke, get a new uke". It is the season of giving, but giving begins at home right, or something like that.

Thanks guys!

johnson430
12-01-2015, 10:38 AM
"Don't get a new uke! Don't get a new uke!"

I played for over a year with only my Pono MGT.
The only reason I acquired a used Pono MTD is because I got it for a good price. But I really just play the mango so when I get around to it I will put the MTD up for sale.
Don't believe the hype of UAS.
Spend your money on uke books, strings, a strap, uke strap buttons, etc. Or other non-uke things.
My :2cents:

blodzoom
12-01-2015, 10:53 AM
"Don't get a new uke! Don't get a new uke!"

I played for over a year with only my Pono MGT.
The only reason I acquired a used Pono MTD is because I got it for a good price. But I really just play the mango so when I get around to it I will put the MTD up for sale.
Don't believe the hype of UAS.
Spend your money on uke books, strings, a strap, uke strap buttons, etc. Or other non-uke things.
My :2cents:

This is crazy talk. I've only been playing for 6 months and I have 3 ukes. One is head-and-shoulders "better" than the other two but I really enjoy playing all 3 and I tend to rotate which one is my favorite week by week. It's nice to practice the same song but have it sound different.

The one caveat is if you just don't have a lot of money, it doesn't make sense to stretch yourself for another uke. If you can afford it, go for it, it's fun.

blodzoom
12-01-2015, 11:00 AM
I'll agree with Jim that Bb is my favorite tuning for Tenors... so smoooooth and jazzy cool sounding.

Noob question:

If I tune to Bb, a song that I play along with the recording now would no longer sound right, correct? I'd have to step every chord up a step. Wouldn't this make it more difficult to learn since most tutorials and everything else assume C tuning? If I tune to Bb and then play a G chord, the sound coming out would actually be an F chord, right? I shouldn't do this, my brain might melt.

pritch
12-01-2015, 12:16 PM
I haven't tried Bb yet but have a tenor normally tuned to B. I don't play that tuning with other people or recordings though, have ukes in C for that. Must try Bb sometime.

Patrick Madsen
12-01-2015, 12:21 PM
You can put a capo on the second fret and you'll be playing back in C. Once you get used to it, stepping everything up is not too difficult.

johnson430
12-01-2015, 12:41 PM
This is crazy talk. I've only been playing for 6 months and I have 3 ukes. One is head-and-shoulders "better" than the other two but I really enjoy playing all 3 and I tend to rotate which one is my favorite week by week. It's nice to practice the same song but have it sound different.

The one caveat is if you just don't have a lot of money, it doesn't make sense to stretch yourself for another uke. If you can afford it, go for it, it's fun.

Well, this wouldn't be the first time someone called me crazy.

Honestly, I feel so blessed to have one uke that gives me all I need.
I can respect that others have valid reasons for multiple ukes.
To each their own, right?

blodzoom
12-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Well, this wouldn't be the first time someone called me crazy.

Honestly, I feel so blessed to have one uke that gives me all I need.
I can respect that others have valid reasons for multiple ukes.
To each their own, right?

To each their own, my friend.

When I first started, I was sure that Tenor was the only size that I cared about. I bought a decent beginner uke and started playing. Decided that I loved it, so I bought a really nice one. Now I can do standard and Low G. Then I bought a cheap-ish electric concert for practicing while watching tv and occasionally pretending to be a rockstar. Now I realize that I really like the smaller concert size, so I want a decent accoustic one. Then I borrowed my friends' soprano for a week. Something about that tiny thing made me smile whenever I played it, so I want that too. Maybe I'm just greedy.

For now I'm in a holding pattern, the wife won't allow any more. But I keep checking the marketplace and theukulelesite for sweet concerts. One of these days I'll see the perfect one and have to beg. The longer I wait, the better chance for success though.

johnson430
12-01-2015, 01:44 PM
For now I'm in a holding pattern, the wife won't allow any more. But I keep checking the marketplace and theukulelesite for sweet concerts. One of these days I'll see the perfect one and have to beg. The longer I wait, the better chance for success though.

I know about the wife situation. =)
I wish you the best of luck in finding a good deal on a concert. I think the market is soft right now and you might find something good before or after Xmas.

Jim Hanks
12-01-2015, 04:21 PM
If I tune to Bb, a song that I play along with the recording now would no longer sound right, correct? I'd have to step every chord up a step. Wouldn't this make it more difficult to learn since most tutorials and everything else assume C tuning? If I tune to Bb and then play a G chord, the sound coming out would actually be an F chord, right? I shouldn't do this, my brain might melt.
Yes, you have it correct. To play with others you either use a capo or transpose the music so you are playing in a key a step higher than the others. Or you read a chart that is written for Bb instruments which is very common for jazz and some other styles.

blodzoom
12-01-2015, 07:46 PM
I know about the wife situation. =)
I wish you the best of luck in finding a good deal on a concert. I think the market is soft right now and you might find something good before or after Xmas.

My wife showed some interest for awhile so I thought that I would be able to just buy her a concert as a gift... And maybe I'd play it sometimes. She seems to have fallen off of it though. Also, from pictures she only seems to like koa for some reason. Expensive taste. I think we might go to Hawaii next year. It's hard to say no on vacation, right?

Still Water Weapons
12-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Noob question:

Yeah, I'm thinking that's a little over my head at this point! :cool:

igorthebarbarian
12-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Honestly when I'm playing by myself I don't bother with transposing it. If you're in Bb and it calls for a C, I just play a C (0003). You can worry about capo's and transposing later on