Cheap & cool baritone uke?

Jerwin

Reaction score
Hey,

I am thinking about giving myself a Xmas present.

By cheap I really mean the entry level of a uke. Let's say 100-150 USD... which usually goes like 20% higher in Europe.

Any suggestions?

Try the Lanikai LU-21B. Inexpensive and nice. For the ultra cheap alternative, try the Rogue baritones (they will require some set-up work, though).

EVERY SINGLE China made ukulele I have seen so far required set-up. Even higher-end China ukes from Kala and Ohana.

Last edited:
If you're going "cheap & cool" for less than $150, consider a vintage used baritone.

Try the Lanikai LU-21B. Inexpensive and nice. For the ultra cheap alternative, try the Rogue baritones (they will require some set-up work, though).

Rogue sopranos as well.. maybe on out 10 is not bad out the box before
oscar schmidt may work for you
Harmony baritones are vintage not bad

I have terrible experience with Cordoba ukulele. Total cr*p was shipped to me. I am not sure if to blame the dealer but no uke like that should leave a factory in my opinion whatsoever.

That Hora stuff seems worth considering. Thanks for the tip!
Makala is nice. And is available in local stores :p

I bought a used Kala baritone in a second hand store for $80. It had only 2 strings and needed cleaning but it seems to play just fine and the search was fun , poking around in second hand stores.

I have a Kala KA-BE that I love. The BE goes for $200 and the B (no electronics) about $50 less.

I probably can't resist that Hora baritone with solid spruce top for 53 Euro? WTF....

Ukeval has one. I don't know but I do not get the pricing of their ukes. What do Hora's employees eat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGUufK1HInk

I couldn't resist either, I love it, play it daily. String change, little sanding on the nut and saddle, it's a great uke.

I have a rouge Baritone, it played fine for what it was ($30 shipped) it is big and bulky built like a tank and had weird strings but had smooth frets, "okay"
action.

I have a friend that has bought 60 ukuleles (many of them Baritone) from Bruce wei and likes them very much and has not experienced any of the problems that are commonly reported. I have one and have had no problems. All of Bruce Wie's ukes are unique and hand made. Most can be bought for less than the cost of shipping from Vietnam.

Last edited:
I couldn't resist either, I love it, play it daily. String change, little sanding on the nut and saddle, it's a great uke.

I messeged the company asking about shipping cost. Do they ship directly from them? Found no dealer in the Czech Rep... What is it like to have uke shipped without hardshall case? Quite worried about that.

Hey,

I am thinking about giving myself a Xmas present.

By cheap I really mean the entry level of a uke. Let's say 100-150 USD... which usually goes like 20% higher in Europe.

Any suggestions?

Available in the UK, a Brunswick BU-4B or BU5B http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brunswick-BU5B-Maple-Baritone-Ukulele/dp/B008G1NIMC should just about fit in your budget, else you might find a Kala KA-B at a similar price.

I've got a couple of Brunswick ukuleles, happy to recommend them to anyone, my Kala is a concert, KA-C, again perfectly good for the price :)

What is it like to have uke shipped without hardshall case? Quite worried about that.
If it is packed well, it is not a problem. I have had ukes shipped in soft cases (gig bags) and one or two just in boxes with the right packing materials.

I messeged the company asking about shipping cost. Do they ship directly from them? Found no dealer in the Czech Rep... What is it like to have uke shipped without hardshall case? Quite worried about that.

They ship directly from the factory. Mine arrived without a scratch, in a simple, sturdy package.

Top Bottom