Aiersi Resonator Ukulele and resonators in general questions

uketanzon

Reaction score
Anyone have one of these aiersi resonator metal concert ukes made in China?
If so, any comments on quality, sound, so on.

Looking for a cheap but good resonator..(probably is no such thing)?

Any experience out there also with a GOLDTONE reso uke?????
Ok good.....NO Good at all, ?????????? I live about a 2.5 hour drive from their HQ in FLORIDA

Can not afford a beltona, national or mya-moe at this time..

Thanks

A

Last edited:
I had the Kala briefly. I thought it was just fine as a uke, but didn't have a lot of that bold resonator tone I was looking for. It ultimately went back because strings kept snapping against a poorly designed "tailpiece."

I know it won't help you, but I did end up buying a Beltona, and the tone was leagues improved from the Kala.

I don't know about Alersi so it might be different. A few years ago there were at least 10 different brand names for a similar "concert size metal resonator" ukulele. I had purchased one of those for about $300. It had a nice padded case included. I spent an additional $300+getting better tuners, a new biscuit, a professional setup etc. It never had a good sound. I determined the problem was the cone.

Since then I have purchased and still own a Big Rusty Tenor resonator #21 http://www.russmorin.com/green2.html (on loan to a friend), a Mya- Moe tenor resonator https://www.myamoeukuleles.com/gallerySearchResults.php?size=Tenor&model=Resonator&backParent=Maple , a John Morton http://www.jmorton.us/pages/CurrentModels/TenorUkuleles.html all metal tenor resonator and a Mya-Moe Lap Steel Tenor Resonator https://www.myamoeukuleles.com/gallerySearchResults.php?size=Tenor&model=Lap Steel . The similarity with all of these ukulele's is that they use National cones.

When it comes to resonator ukulele's, cheap just doesn't cut it for me.

Last edited:
The new Kala tenor reso sounds well worth the money to me. I have the earlier concert model..........meh!!! They can sometimes be improved on by checking the reso cone and cover for fit, and lightly sanding until them are seated "perfectly." I will eventually install a pickup on mine and play through a chorus pedal with a little reverb thrown in. If I get to the point that I play it more, I'll probably get a better one. I think the Goldtones are decent for the money as well and they are within driving distance to me.

The new Kala tenor reso sounds well worth the money to me. I have the earlier concert model..........meh!!! They can sometimes be improved on by checking the reso cone and cover for fit, and lightly sanding until them are seated "perfectly." I will eventually install a pickup on mine and play through a chorus pedal with a little reverb thrown in. If I get to the point that I play it more, I'll probably get a better one. I think the Goldtones are decent for the money as well and they are within driving distance to me.

I have a friend who lives
in Cocoa Beach. I am north of Jacksonville. Does Goldtone ever have blems or 2nd sales?
Maybe I should give them a call......

I don't know about Alersi so it might be different. A few years ago there were at least 10 different brand names for a similar "concert size metal resonator" ukulele. I had purchased one of those for about $300. It had a nice padded case included. I spent an additional $300+getting better tuners, a new biscuit, a professional setup etc. It never had a good sound. I determined the problem was the cone.

Since then I have purchased and still own a Big Rusty Tenor resonator #21 http://www.russmorin.com/green2.html (on loan to a friend), a Mya- Moe tenor resonator https://www.myamoeukuleles.com/gallerySearchResults.php?size=Tenor&model=Resonator&backParent=Maple , a John Morton http://www.jmorton.us/pages/CurrentModels/TenorUkuleles.html all metal tenor resonator and a Mya-Moe Lap Steel Tenor Resonator https://www.myamoeukuleles.com/gallerySearchResults.php?size=Tenor&model=Lap Steel . The similarity with all of these ukulele's is that they use National cones.

When it comes to resonator ukulele's, cheap just doesn't cut it for me.

Oh my god,,, those rusty resonators are awesome looking.....so ....from your extensive resonator experience
Which has the best sound/value cost ratio of the one you purchased if I may ask....

Oh my god,,, those rusty resonators are awesome looking.....so ....from your extensive resonator experience
Which has the best sound/value cost ratio of the one you purchased if I may ask....

They all sound great. The Lap Steel gets played the least. Russ Morin's ukes are all different. The Big Rusty attracted many comments at the Kerrville folk festival.
My favorite is the Mya-Moe quilted maple resonator

I have a friend who lives
in Cocoa Beach. I am north of Jacksonville. Does Goldtone ever have blems or 2nd sales?
Maybe I should give them a call......

They have sales all the time. Worth a call anyway. They have a lovely showroom. I had them set up my Rally concert with full resonator, install a calfskin head, etc. Sounds like a much better one now.

Let me start off by saying that I absolutely love resonator instruments, and have been a fan of them for most of my life.

I have one of the Kalas and enjoy playing it a great deal It initially had the same issue with strings breaking at the tailpiece, but after removing and deburring/polishing it a bit it's been just fine. The only complaints I have about it are that the A string seems to have slightly lower volume than the rest, and the fret job was absolutely horrific. It's as though the frets had been leveled (quite nicely, I may add) but they skipped the corwning and polishing stages. It's not a huge deal, and I'll tend to it one of these days when I take the strings off to change them.

Sound-wise, it's pretty nice. It's louder than my regular Kala tenor, and has some of that resonator sound but the overall tone almost seems like a mix between a resonator guitar and a banjo, which is what I've found with most resonator ukes. It lacks the ringing sustain that both my Dobro guitar and Dobro bass possess. One really cool feature (depending on whether you like it or not) that is has is a nice "reverb-y" sound to it. It's hard to describe, but almost as if it's playing through a plate reverb - which, I guess, it kind of is given the shallowness and small diameter of the resonator.

Other than the fret job and the rough spot on the tailpiece, the finish is pretty good, maybe a bit better than onther ukes I've seen in it's price range. It has a well-done tobacco sunburst, and the back of the neck has a sunburst/fake fade to the finish. It comes with an open grain satin finish, but after playing it (a lot) daily for about a year the back of the neck is as smooth as glass and nearly worn down to the bare wood in spots. The lower bout around the f-hole has taken on a distinct sheen as well (from my crappy and sometimes overenthusiastic strumming technique).

One thing I really, really like about the Kala is that the piece that goes over the strings covering the resonator is removable with four screws. Doesn't sound like much, but it means that if you ever have to access the bridge or biscuit, you can do so without having to pull the entire resonator cover. This is something you'll really appreciate if you've had to do setup work on other resonator instruments.

A good friend of mine has one of the Recording King metal-bodied concert resonators, and I've spent a good amount of time playing it. It's beautiful, well built instrument. I find it's tone to be even thinner than the Kala's, but it does have a bit more sustain. I actually auditioned several of these as well as several of the Kalas before purchasing mine. I prefer the tenor scale, so that was the major reason for selecting it over one of the Recording Kings.

I highly recommend that you try before you buy. The sound varied quite a bit between the ones I've played. As was mentioned prevously, the fit between the cone, biscuit and body is pretty important.

All that being said, I'll more than likely acquire either a Dobro or National resonator uke in the future, just because I'm a huge fan of the brands. :D

I had a Gold Tone metal resonator concert a few years ago. I didn't care for it though. Something about it just never felt or sounded "right" to me. Maybe it was the "thin" tone. It sure was pretty though - my wife liked it for that reason!

I've had one of which I can't remember the brand (gold plated, like the Recording King/Ashbury ones), then a Republic one, then a maple NRP one, and currently an old dobro with a spider cone. I've played other people's Kala resonators, Fine Resophonic and (old) National ones.

Here's what I find about them:
- resonators are an acquired taste, they all have a metallic ring to them, metal bodies more so than wood bodies. Having said that, there's also good news: you can acquire the taste.
- all of them also have extreme dynamics: the range from soft to loud without losing tone, is bigger than on wooden ukuleles.
- there is a huge difference between the 200-400$ range and everything above that. Less clang, more genuine sound. I've read that's above your price range, but I'm just saying that things really do sound better in the business class, without dishing the economy seat ones.
- cones are delicate, that's why there's a sieve protecting them; change strings one by one instead of all four at a time, or at least only build up the string tension on all four strings at the same time.

I've really enjoyed following this thread as I had no idea there were so many resonator choices, especially boutique ones. But it ain't making it easy on me as I wait for the National I scooped up from HMS last week. Super excited about it!

Last edited:
I don't know anything about resonators, but I did just buy a soprano uke directly from Aiersi. Devon at Aiersi is very easy to deal with, a good communicator, and the quality of the uke as better than expected. I would give Aiersi a thumbs up.

I don't know anything about resonators, but I did just buy a soprano uke directly from Aiersi. Devon at Aiersi is very easy to deal with, a good communicator, and the quality of the uke as better than expected. I would give Aiersi a thumbs up.

It's tempting but I am afraid if spend my hard earned money for it ....will it sound any good?

Then again, it could be the most outstanding resonator ukulele value in the world...

Problem is, you do not know.....till you buy one

Wish someone REALLY HAD ONE TO REVIEW...

Barry Maz Are you listening in.?

Last edited:
thanks for Dan first! it's glad to deal with you too. also about our aiersi brass body resonator ukulele, high level quality too. because our worker is only one luthier who made resonator uke and resonator guitar over 15 years. that mean for all our aiersi resonator models. not workshop model. the model finished by our luthier all the time. so better level quality too. you could check aiersi wholeline resonator uke models at our business web
http://www.aiersiguitar.com/category/resonator-ukulele/

for brass body model, we can make different finish. all only concert size, all uke model with imported Aquila string .

we just provide with workshop price directly. here you could find different videos about aiersi resonator guitar and resonator ukulele from our customers all the world at web http://www.aiersiguitar.com/aiersi-...nic-guitar-and-ukulele-videos-from-customers/

any questions, i would like to reply for you at any time. my business emailbox
sale@aiersiguitar.com

best regards

devon

Devon your reso ukes look beautiful......if I can make a suggestion....I use to work for Sony Electronics Sales and Marketing...
Need to promote your brand and get exposure to get customers talking about your
Product and recommending it over others to friends and relatives.

if you are confident and it seems you are in the quality and workmanship of your product.....ask Barry Maz or Ken Middleton to review your
Resonator And make a YouTube review .... they are respected reviewers in the uke community, it would help sales a lot.
I have bought instruments based on their positive reviews. They might find things you can improve and make better.
(One thing I did notice on your resonator is that you do not use a wood plate string tie base like the Kala and Goldtone use which I think is a better system overall imho).

Barry Maz e mail is

Bazmazwave@googlemail.com

Ken Middleton e mail is

Ken@livingwatersstrings.com

Last edited:
thanks for Uketanzon

i will try to contact them and show our aiersi brand resontor ukes. but not full confidence ,because we from china. and most players could not trust chinese quality. even we can do great instrument. if possible,welcome you to introduce us to them too.

thanks for your suggestion for bridge for resonator uke,we will consider and make improvement for new design

best regards

devon

www.aiersiguitar.com

Would be more than happy to feature a review on Got A Ukulele devon!

thanks for Uketanzon

i will try to contact them and show our aiersi brand resontor ukes. but not full confidence ,because we from china. and most players could not trust chinese quality. even we can do great instrument. if possible,welcome you to introduce us to them too.

Devon I Email them both, they want to do. You need to contact them and get shipping address then send a instrument on loan I guess to have them review. In America, we say the ball is in your court now, meaning it's up to you to decide if you want your resonator professionally reviewed.

Dear Uketanzon

thanks. noted for your information. i will email both them today . and give reference for you .

about resonator ukes, we can provide free 2 pcs for them for testing .

best regards

devon

Top Bottom