Suggestions will be appreciated

mangorockfish

Reaction score
OK, here's the deal. I have a two beautiful ukes that I'm thinking about selling. One is a gold label Kamaka soprano and the other is a Big Island tenor. It is one of 4 built with the markers shaped like the big island and came straight from MGM. Both are perfect with cases. They are really nice, but neither one really does it for me. I prefer my Dolphin. Anyway, like I said I'm thinking of selling both and really shopping around for my "last" uke. Love the Boat Paddles, Koalohas, Kamaka tenors and a few less expensive ones as well. What are your suggestions on this delema? Thanks.

If you find that "last" uke, you'll be one-up on almost all of us.

Suggestion would be to come up with what you'd like the next uke to be and put the two up for trade, trading one for another. That will still leave you with one of the original pair, just in case your tastes change.

If you prefer the dolphin over the Kamaka and Big Island just sell those two and keep the dolphin. But a Koaloha super soprano might be a nice change for you

As SteveZ said there is really no "one", just what you are in the mood to hear at any given time.

Yeah.. if you prefer the dolphin.. maybe you've already found your last uke.

OK, here's the deal. I have a two beautiful ukes that I'm thinking about selling. One is a gold label Kamaka soprano and the other is a Big Island tenor. It is one of 4 built with the markers shaped like the big island and came straight from MGM. Both are perfect with cases.

This may sound odd, but some people prefer a working instrument in lieu of the beautiful ones that are perfect. I don't know, maybe the Kamaka isn't a take anywhere toss in the back seat ukulele that the Dolphin is. I can't imagine that there is a sound and playability issue. If you want a leave-out-and-play ukulele, then you will need to look at a ukulele that you don't have to keep in it's case. Maybe a Balckbird Clara is a possibility...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt54HQzf0uo

Now maybe you just don't care for your current ukes and also what I said above doesn't apply. If that is the case, then you will be hard pressed, as others have said, for the "last" solid wood ukulele, but only you will know.

John

Last edited:
There was a time when there would be several posts a week from dolphin owners. I don't know where they went, but probably they found what they were looking for and now spend less time reading about expensive ukes and more time playing their dolphins. This part of the forum now has a lot more collector style and pretty wood style posts than the old days, but you don't have to own an expensive uke, you are allowed to own just one dolphin which you play all the time. If you move over to the parts of the forum that are more about playing, or maybe stir up some more dolphin talk here, you wont be seeing the NUD and similar posts which can stimulate the buying reflex.
As for the other two ukes, if you don't need the money and have room, just keep them and get them out once a quarter. As you play more, and get around more ukulele enthusiasts, your confidence and skill will improve. You will come to a day when you get them out for the quarterly check and wont put them away again.

This seems like very good advice, as sellers remorse is a harder fix than buyers remorse.

I also have a koa Big Island tenor with the fret markers shaped like the big island. I had no idea it was one of only four. Whether it is, or whether it isn't, I'll never part with it.

I hope the OP finds whatever they're looking for....

As SteveZ said there is really no "one", just what you are in the mood to hear at any given time.

SteveZ didn't say that. He said, "If you find that "last" uke, you'll be one-up on almost all of us."

Also, I disagree about there is no "one"; that sounds like a single guy who hasn't found a good woman.

I once felt that way, then I met an awesome woman that I couldn't live without.
I found my "last woman".
And I found my "last uke" as well.
I guess I am just a lucky guy.

Well they often say the Dolphin is a poor man's Flea/Fluke. How about a Flea/Fluke with upgraded peghead tuners and perhaps electronics?

Top Bottom