Any thoughts on the Kala Solid Spruce w/ Lacewood

ukuleleden

Reaction score
I was looking to swap my Córdoba 25CK for something different and have been offered an even swap for Kala Solid Spruce top w/ Lacewood back/sides in concert scale. Any thoughts on this model and wood combo?

Sorry I don't have experience with that exact model, but I do with the spruce/ovangkol tenor. It is a wonderful sounding uke with lots of clarity and great tone.

I used to own the tenor version of that model and thought it was very nice. Nice sound, easy to play, well finished with some nice inlays. I have no experience with the Cordoba so can't make a comparison.

Don't know about the Cordoba, but the Kala lacewood series sound very good for the money. I think the tenor size sounded better than the concert size, and on down, etc.

I'll see how it goes, as I will have the chance to play the Kala concert Lacewood later today. Also offered to trade is a Martin T1K, but he wants a little extra cash included in the trade for that...

Well I so much more like the Kala with the Solid Spruce top and Solid Lacewood back and sides. This one was just set-up as well with spot-intonation and really low action. At first I thought too low, but it plays so easy with no buzzing anywhere, so it in fact works well...

Both the Solid Spruce top and Solid Lacewood back and sides on this instrument are stunning to look at in-person nice satin finish which I prefer over most gloss finishes. More importantly, the sound/tone is very in-line with what others have reported elsewhere, that being a bit brighter/punchy with the spruce top, but still balanced and not overly trebly while still being clear/well defined (read not dark/muddy) with the Lacewood combo.

I'll put up one of those terrible compressed sound clips later that you can listen to through your lousy computer speakers or lacking headphones that will likely result in a useless listening experience...:p

Here are some pictures, the lacewood's grain/figuring is easily seen both inside and out:
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

A nice surprise , I found a video our dear friend Mike Aratani had posted for us of the ASLAC:

Top Bottom