Need Some Help Width Strings

Hawkshaw

Reaction score
I have a Mainland cedar top tenor. The original strings are on it and I assume they are Aquilas. I am not pleased with the sound and the tension seems very high. Does anyone have any suggestions for other strings for this ukulele? I know this is a very subjective subject but I would really appreciate your input. Thanks!

When looking to change strings because I don't like the sound I have to identify what I don't like and what I want to accomplish. What do you not like about the sound, too brignt, too brash, too loud. We could give you lots of options but that might not get you what

When looking to change strings because I don't like the sound I have to identify what I don't like and what I want to accomplish. What do you not like about the sound, too brignt, too brash, too loud. We could give you lots of options but that might not get you what

Best piece of advice is above. Once you make the determination, then lots of opinions will arrive. If it's too bright now, then Worth Browns or Fremont BlackLines will mellow it down. If it's too mellow now for you, then Oasis Brights or Worth Clears will brighten it up. You can also change one string at a time as well. Determine what you like and don't like first.

I have a Mainland cedar top tenor. The original strings are on it and I assume they are Aquilas. I am not pleased with the sound and the tension seems very high. Does anyone have any suggestions for other strings for this ukulele? I know this is a very subjective subject but I would really appreciate your input. Thanks!
What do you not like about the sound, you need to explain if you want a response
Too bright or too warm, tone or voice? As for guage and playability and comfort, do you mind thinner strings
Thinner sound but clarity. Im sure the aquillas are not brash on your mainland
Only so much can be done with string choice, good luck

In my experimenting with strings, I have found a basic trend between sound and tension. This is really an over-generalization, but too much tension usually results in a thud sound, and too little tension results in a thin weak sound. Also cedar usually doesn't not like to be over-driven with heavy strumming as compared to koa. So if you have high tension and a heavy attack you may be ending up with mush, so-to-speak. As I said, this is an over-generalization and others may have a better feel for it.

John

PHD strings have been the best strings I have put on my uke.
These strings are amazing. They are the thinnest diameter string I have come across.
Even though they are a high tension string, the smaller diameter makes them easier to fret than other high tension strings.
As John stated, I think a light tension string doesn't have enough thickness in the sound.
I tried some LaBella light tension and although they were easy to fret, I was missing much of the tone I was getting from other strings.

My suggestion, spend some money on several types made by several makers.
Some string suggestions:

PHD low or high G

d'addario strings:
J71
EG65

Ko'olua:
Mahana
Gold

This has been said many times before, "Strings can make or break a uke."

. There is a concept that you can learn to control the sound the uke makes, and that once you have developed some skill over several years, you can get a similar sound out of any uke with any strings.

I have never heard of this "concept" you speak of.
Please share any relevant primary source material that states any replication of your assertion.

Back to reality:
I have had many strings on my Pono MGT. They all did something different to the mango.
I think it is worth 4-10 dollars to see what strings will do to an instrument.
Also, I would rather spend $50 on strings than have to shell out $100-??? for a new uke because I "settled" with the strings on the uke and never tried new strings.

deleted post.

Dang, I missed what you posted.

Please explain yourself better. I have never heard of this concept but I am more than willing to admit I am wrong if you can share some experience or duplicated experiment that confirms your assertion that, "once you have developed some skill over several years, you can get a similar sound out of any uke with any strings."

Bill1, sorry if my posts come off with an air of condescension, that is merely a reflection of me.
(Some people are raised in abusive homes, I was brought up in an abrasive home.)

Kindly,
Johnson

Last edited:
Top Bottom