Uke choice: Kamaka HF-1 or their Pineapple HP-1?

Astein2006

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a Kamaka soprano and wanted to know which you would buy and why: the standard Kamaka soprano or their Kamaka pineapple? Thanks All!

Since we keep talking Kamakas I should set the record straight with what I have: HP1 pineapple, HF-1L longneck figure-8 soprano, and HF2 concert :) Of the three, I'd have a hard time picking a favorite.

Between the HF1 and the HP1 though, I definitely prefer the pineapple. My first Kamaka was an HF1 standard. It's a great little uke, but then the opportunity came up to get the pineapple and sadly, the standard HF1 went unplayed thereafter (and got re-homed and is hopefully being played and loved!). I found the pineapple to have more depth and resonance, and a bit more volume - just an overall bigger sound, which I really like.

Worth mentioning: I've heard people complain that pineapple ukes are harder to hold. This isn't an issue for me since I put straps on all of my ukes. I can't think of any other downside to the HP1 though!

I have a Kamaka semi custom pineapple (concert scale, spruce top, ebony fretboard and bridge and head plate). It is a great player and sound to go with it. I also have a 1999 standard Kamaka Koa pineapple which is nice in it's own right. I think you would be happy with a pineapple.

I went from a standard soprano to a pineapple.

No regrets.

Yummmm, yummmm, pineapple!

Y
I went from a standard soprano to a pineapple.

No regrets.

Yummmm, yummmm, pineapple!

I just finished playing my KoAloha LN Soprano and love it.

I see you have a LN Soprano Pineapple KoAloha. How do you like it compared to a standard or LN Soprano? And with your Kamaka Pineapple.

I also chose a pineapple when buying a Kamaka soprano. I've only seen complaints from women about pineapple ukes, but I don't have any issues myself. I concur with janeray1940 about the sound; she described it well.

Y

I just finished playing my KoAloha LN Soprano and love it.

I see you have a LN Soprano Pineapple KoAloha. How do you like it compared to a standard or LN Soprano? And with your Kamaka Pineapple.

I don't think I prefer one over the other....both pineapples are delicious!

I'd go for the pineapple as well, as it's Kamaka's very own invention, so you'd be getting an instrument with great history and tradition (which is true for all Kamakas, of course, but even more so for THE pineapple).

The pineapples I have played (from Kamaka as well as other makers) were all definitely punchy, but left me wondering if they have a little less focus/clarity than the same model in a figure 8 style.

Do you like the feel of one more than the other? I prefer holding a figure-8 vs. pineapple.
But that is strictly a personal preference.

I also prefer the Kamaka pineapple over the figure-8 soprano. My pineapple was one of the hardest ukes to part with, as it was gorgeous and quintessentially Hawaiian. The Kamaka brand really has a rich history and it shows in their work. I have to admit, though, my pineapple didn't hold a candle to my Kamaka concert in tone, and that's why it was eventually sold. The concert was so much sweeter sounding, whereas the pineapple was, as some others have put it here, punchy.

I'd go for the pineapple as well, as it's Kamaka's very own invention, so you'd be getting an instrument with great history and tradition (which is true for all Kamakas, of course, but even more so for THE pineapple).

The pineapples I have played (from Kamaka as well as other makers) were all definitely punchy, but left me wondering if they have a little less focus/clarity than the same model in a figure 8 style.
I was kind of thinking the same thing about the focus/clarity thing. Since I haven't played each it was interesting to hear you say what I was thinking. I guess I love the idea of having the pineapple for all the reasons listed by others here but I don't want to sacrifice any focus for more volume or punchiness. Maybe down the road I'll get the pineapple after all just because it looks so cool.

Every ukulele player needs a pineapple; it says Hawaii like no other. My choice is a KoAloha longneck pineapple.

Top Bottom