PDA

View Full Version : New Vorson $25 plastic concert uke

Booli
12-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Hey Folks!

This could be the lowest of the low in terms of build quality and sound...

or

just might be just the right thing to give a toddler to whack against the furniture and distract them from trying to use crayons on your Kamaka...

Check this out:

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemImages/Large/VOR%20AUG24%20LIST.jpg

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-VOR-AUG24-LIST

What do you think?

So who's going to take the leap and buy one and do a NUD post with a video and sound sample?

I'd do it myself, but I've got no funds until 2016. I am hopeful that this is not total 'carp', but experience has proven otherwise. :)

chuck in ny
12-04-2015, 07:06 PM
you never know. twenty five including shipping? i like the yellow.

Brian1
12-04-2015, 08:11 PM
Interesting... I wonder what the headstock looks like and if these are similar to the keyaloha ukes that have a different name in the UK and australia

UkieOkie
12-04-2015, 08:23 PM
That's a great price. If it doesn't totally suck then that would be a great kick around beach/lake type uke. I'd like to here one.

Rodney.
12-04-2015, 08:36 PM
It's a Korala.

Brian1
12-04-2015, 09:42 PM
Thats the name I was trying to think of... I think I'll take a red and a blue.

Sanfe
12-05-2015, 02:10 AM
Interesting... I wonder what the headstock looks like and if these are similar to the keyaloha ukes that have a different name in the UK and australia

http://www.lanyao.com/files/html/products/eleuke/AUG-24.htm

Man, am I on the fence on this one. One side of me is saying, "C'mon, it's only $25"; the other, "Dude, that's three bowls of Pho."

Looking at the other pictures, I know I'm going to get what I paid for. I can already hear it. It will sound like an ukulele my kids would get from a birthday-party gift bag.

Yes, I'm taking this too seriously, but I am a very, very cheap man.

F it. I just put in an order for a black one. I may or may not report back depending on my level of shame.

Croaky Keith
12-05-2015, 02:12 AM
Ha, ha, U.A.S. strikes again........:)

Booli
12-05-2015, 02:43 AM
If this is in fact the same uke as being sold as the Korala Explorer, which I've only seen in concert scale, I recall that uke was being sold at around $100USD last year.

If so, fellow UU brother BazMaz did a review on it back then, see WRITTEN review here:

http://www.gotaukulele.com/2013/12/korala-explore-puc-20-bk-abs-concert.html

and VIDEO review here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUHwfpcwqmk

Also, IIRC Baz mentioned that there was an unexpected amount of FLEX to then neck, which would in fact be a bit off-putting, making notes go flat as you play. Assuming this thing is in fact reasonably playable and does not inspire fits like Pete Townsend use to do with his guitars on stage...

hmmm.

bobinde
12-05-2015, 02:46 AM
The headstock is identical to my Kealoha I bought from Amazon a few months ago - not a bad piece for the $40.00 I spent. Maybe they are the same thing with a different name . . .

bobinde

Booli
12-05-2015, 02:46 AM
F it. I just put in an order for a black one. I may or may not report back depending on my level of shame.

Thanks for taking the plunge. No shame here. You are a maverick!

Please report back so those of us who cannot buy one right now (foolishly or not) can live vicariously through you. :)

jjdejd
12-05-2015, 03:59 AM
Does anyone know if the Orange is really Yellow? Also noticed this same offer on a few other sites.

kvehe
12-05-2015, 05:07 AM
Ok, I'll bite. I have plenty of inexpensive sopranos, but no inexpensive concerts, plus I have many sets of highly-praised strings just begging to bring a knock-about to life. I ordered the orange one (or yellow, or whatever it turns out to be).

spookelele
12-05-2015, 06:32 AM
Apparently it was on amazon too, but currently sold out.
http://www.amazon.com/Vorson-AUG24-RD-Concert-Ukulele/dp/B015SXO13K/

kissing
12-05-2015, 12:28 PM
These seem to be from the same factory as Keealoha plastic ukes, which cost around $20-30. They are 'decent' in that they are playable and make a sound. I keep mine permanently in my car boot

Brian1
12-05-2015, 03:03 PM
These seem to be from the same factory as Keealoha plastic ukes, which cost around $20-30. They are 'decent' in that they are playable and make a sound. I keep mine permanently in my car boot

Yep but the keealoha have pictures on them on amazon for about $35 to 50. This is the first time I have seen them w/o the pictures sold in the US.

http://www.amazon.com/Kealoha-Concert-Ukulele-Stunning-Playability/dp/B00NKBDAJE

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=kealoha (http://www.amazon.com/Kealoha-Concert-Ukulele-Stunning-Playability/dp/B00NKBDAJE)

Brian1
12-05-2015, 08:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAwwSol8hwM

I was looking around on You Tube and noticed a comparison for the waterman compared to a Korala and although the price in the uk is about the same between the two this sale is about half of the price of the Waterman. Again the brand name is not Korala but they do appear to be the same uke without the branding. If you are interested in a plastic ukulele or are a cat lover you may want to check out the video.

here is one talking only about Koralas :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDN5N_rehc4

Booli
12-05-2015, 10:03 PM
Thanks Brian - Simon does some great reviews with his cat apprentice.

Also, for those unable or unwilling to click thru, I've EMBEDDED BazMaz's VIDEO review to my above post #9 in a recent edit to the post

...If so, fellow UU brother BazMaz did a review on it back then

click HERE (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?117178-New-Vorson-25-plastic-concert-uke&p=1784545#post1784545) to go back up and see the video without leaving UU.

kissing
12-06-2015, 02:40 AM
Yep but the keealoha have pictures on them on amazon for about $35 to 50. This is the first time I have seen them w/o the pictures sold in the US.

http://www.amazon.com/Kealoha-Concert-Ukulele-Stunning-Playability/dp/B00NKBDAJE

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dmi&field-keywords=kealoha (http://www.amazon.com/Kealoha-Concert-Ukulele-Stunning-Playability/dp/B00NKBDAJE)

Wow, the Keealoha sure sell at a premium in USA. I got mine from a brick n mortar music store in Australia, and it was priced around $20.
For the first time ever in history, Australia has a cheaper instrument price than USA!

Brian1
12-06-2015, 02:40 PM
Wow, the Keealoha sure sell at a premium in USA. I got mine from a brick n mortar music store in Australia, and it was priced around $20.
For the first time ever in history, Australia has a cheaper instrument price than USA!

If I remember you got the cool one with the face on it too ... kinda jealous

Colonel Uke
12-07-2015, 05:10 AM
They're down to $20.95 with free shipping now. I just took the plunge on a black one. At least it looks from the pictures like the saddle is adjustable, unlike on the Watermans. We'll see how it sounds.

spookelele
12-07-2015, 06:12 AM
They're down to $20.95 with free shipping now. I just took the plunge on a black one. At least it looks from the pictures like the saddle is adjustable, unlike on the Watermans. We'll see how it sounds.

Man.. $21 delivered is really hard to say no to.

Captain Simian
12-07-2015, 06:47 AM
Man.. $21 delivered is really hard to say no to.

Not really. My CFO caught me looking at it and she said no without any hesitation.

Sanfe
12-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Not really. My CFO caught me looking at it and she said no without any hesitation.

Hahaha!

"But it's only 20 bu~" "NOPE!"

spookelele
12-07-2015, 11:31 AM

Next time... just don't get caught :)

UkieOkie
12-07-2015, 04:42 PM
Well I ordered one too. We need a cheap but functional Uke line-up for a Uke class I am teaching to a homeschool co-op. So that was a good enough excuse to try this one out.

Ukejenny
12-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Just earlier tonight ordered a concert Aqualele from Mim, so I'm out. But, I am interested to hear what y'all think about these instruments.

UkieOkie
12-07-2015, 05:55 PM
In my comments at checkout I said, "At this price all it has to do is not suck." If it isn't terrible and will play and hold tune for a song, then I'll be pretty happy.

Brian1
12-07-2015, 09:52 PM

D'OH! I bought two @ 24.95.

UkieOkie
12-08-2015, 03:50 AM

Maybe you'll get the hand selected premium curly plastic. ��

jollyboy
12-08-2015, 04:43 AM
I bought a Korala Explore a few months ago. Filed down the nut slots, swapped the stock plastic saddle for a bone one and put some Martin strings on it and... it still sounded terrible :p

Just kidding, it actually sounded pretty decent considering the price. Like, it could hold its own against, say, a Makaka or something else in that entry-level laminate ballpark.

It did end up at the local charity shop but that was just because I was having 'a bit of a sort out'.

There's a good chance I will buy another one as the model makes a good victim for my ghetto luthiery experiments (mwah ha ha).

Sanfe
12-08-2015, 04:49 AM

I just chatted with customer service with my order # and requested a refund of the difference. They granted it - yay! $4.04 coming back my way!

Had I bought five, and received a refund of the difference for all five, I would have been able to buy another one!

Sanfe
12-08-2015, 04:51 AM
my ghetto luthiery experiments (mwah ha ha).

Hmm . . . sounds interesting.

Brian1
12-08-2015, 06:46 AM
Maybe you'll get the hand selected premium curly plastic. 😉
You made me chuckle out loud. :)

Brian1
12-08-2015, 06:49 AM
I just chatted with customer service with my order # and requested a refund of the difference. They granted it - yay! $4.04 coming back my way!

Had I bought five, and received a refund of the difference for all five, I would have been able to buy another one!

Hmm... Might be worth a try. :)

spookelele
12-08-2015, 09:54 AM
Anyone get it yet?
I think mine's supposed to come tomorrow... but I'm not sure cuz the tracking hasn't been updated since the label was made.

Also.. nice to know they give you a free extended 1year warranty.

Sanfe
12-08-2015, 10:00 AM
Mine was sent out but I live in Southern California. I think it's coming from NJ. My expected-arrival time is this Friday.

Rllink
12-08-2015, 10:18 AM
This reminds me of the Walmart thread last Christmas.

kvehe
12-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Mine is due tomorrow as well.

kvehe
12-08-2015, 11:42 AM

That's probably why I took the bait - I love tradition.

Brian1
12-08-2015, 12:06 PM

Well, I bought the walmart first act uke that were marked down to $10. (I bought two I returned one) I even bought the walgreens $10 uke. I'll be happy to report back if they are not of better quality when the two I ordered arrive.

Sanfe
12-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Well, I bought the walmart first act uke that were marked down to $10. (I bought two I returned one) I even bought the walgreens $10 uke. I'll be happy to report back if they are not of better quality when the two I ordered arrive.

$10 ukuleles? I need to be more active on these forums. So what was the consensus on them?

kvehe
12-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Well, they started out as $20 or $25 ukes (of which about $17 was due to the Disney brand) but were Black Friday deals. Mine was more-or-less playable once I put M600 strings on it, but it's been on a closet shelf for 53 weeks now.

UkieOkie
12-09-2015, 08:33 AM
You others who ordered please go check your mail! ;-) Mine is probably still a few days out.

Brian1
12-09-2015, 10:36 AM
$10 ukuleles? I need to be more active on these forums. So what was the consensus on them?

I am always looking for a good deal but...
The ones I mentioned? are not good. THe Walgreens one only has two strings folded over to look like 4. The first act sort of plays but it actually has a post connecting the top to the bottom to prevent it from playing very loud.

Sanfe
12-09-2015, 11:17 AM
I am always looking for a good deal but...
The ones I mentioned? are not good. THe Walgreens one only has two strings folded over to look like 4. The first act sort of plays but it actually has a post connecting the top to the bottom to prevent it from playing very loud.

So the $10 ukulele turned out being a $10-ukulele. I get it. It doesn't look like I missed anything.

Rodney.
12-09-2015, 11:27 AM
The Korala was great. It really was. Best 30 euro I ever spend. But after a few months the mrs casually reminded me that I never played it. I hate it when she's right, and she always is. So much for that 30 euro. So I gave it away. It now is collecting dust at my friends wall.

stevepetergal
12-09-2015, 03:24 PM
I was trying to get a Korala in 2013 after Baz first reviewed it. I don't have a really cheap ukulele and I don't want a soprano. I though this was perfect for me, but they weren't available in the states.
So, I've ordered one of these. $20 with shipping included. Now that's cheap. Can't wait.

kvehe
12-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Mine arrived today. It's going on the shelf with the Disney uke from last year and the Waterman. I guess plastic just isn't my thing.

jollyboy
12-09-2015, 05:29 PM
Mine arrived today. It's going on the shelf with the Disney uke from last year and the Waterman. I guess plastic just isn't my thing.

A ukulele isn't just for Christmas you know.

Brian1
12-09-2015, 07:50 PM
How do you think it compares to the waterman ?

kvehe
12-09-2015, 11:40 PM
Yes, that would be helpful. I think it sounds a bit better, but the intonation is horrible except on the second string, which is okay to about the fifth fret (which is about all I need). I'm looking forward to others' opinions. Maybe I just don't spend enough time around water to make this worthwhile. (That's probably it. :)). ...but it was worth $25 to me to try it out...

kvehe
12-09-2015, 11:48 PM
A ukulele isn't just for Christmas you know.

Maybe plastic ones are!

Sanfe
12-10-2015, 04:22 AM

Bummer . . .

I was looking forward to mine but despite having ordered it on Saturday, it seems to have finally left NJ yesterday and is only 1/4 of the way here somewhere in Indiana (This is a huge country).

Up on the shelf with the Disney, huh? Oh well . . . I suppose I can trade an el-cheapo Kala my kids take to school with it so I don't have to worry about the Kala as much. I'm glad I only bought one and fought for the $4 difference when the price changed.

Thanks for the heads-up; I at least won't be heart-broken when it arrives.

Rllink
12-10-2015, 04:34 AM
I think this is an interesting thread. I keep wondering if people are buying these because they really want a cheap plastic ukulele, or if the ukuleles are so cheap that people just can't pass up the deal. Just the other day we were at a friend's house, and my wife said that it was cold, and that she needed a new stocking hat. So our friend pulled a shopping bag out of a closet, full of brand new ones with tags. She said that they were on clearance last winter for two bucks each. She said that she didn't even like them, but she bought a bunch of them because they were too cheap to pass up. Ha ha, she didn't like them, so she gave one to my wife. That cracked me up. This thread got me to thinking about that.

Croaky Keith
12-10-2015, 04:47 AM
My mother was the same, couldn't pass up a bargain, even though she had plenty of the item in question.

Me, I tend to wait until a few people have tried them out first before jumping in. :)

Sanfe
12-10-2015, 04:53 AM
I think this is an interesting thread. I keep wondering if people are buying these because they really want a cheap plastic ukulele, or if the ukuleles are so cheap that people just can't pass up the deal. Just the other day we were at a friend's house, and my wife said that it was cold, and that she needed a new stocking hat, so our friend pulled out a shopping bag out of a closet, full of brand new ones with tags. She said that they were on clearance last winter for two bucks each. She said that she didn't even like them, but she bought a bunch of them because they were too cheap to pass up. Ha ha, she didn't like them, so she gave one to my wife. That cracked me up. This thread got me to thinking about that.

Well, I love a great value. I've been scouring my local Craigslist for el-cheapo ukuleles just to kick around - I don't know why. I suppose the fun is in the hunt and acquisition, and not so much in the possession.

But with this Vorson at its price, I am somewhat in doubt and hopeful of its quality. I figure, if anything, it could be something I can leave at work and not have to worry about. But after I receive mine AND it turns out more than just playable, I am thinking about ordering a few more to perhaps start an ukulele club/class here at work with some colleagues, or just stock 'em up as gifts for birthday parties my kids get invited to.

My wife's like your friend. She sees things for sale for dirt cheap, she buys 'em all up and waits for an opportunity to give them away. She will relieve herself of bottles and bottles of lotions she's stocked up over the year this holiday season.

UkieOkie
12-10-2015, 05:23 AM
I have a three year old. So for this price it can be a toy for him if it doesn't at least play ok.

spookelele
12-10-2015, 05:42 AM
Personally, I'm hoping it's just like the korala/kealoha.
There's quite a bit of evidence and reviews that say those don't just suck.

What does suck is the shipping, cuz it was supposed to come yesterday, but now they're saying friday.

UkieOkie
12-10-2015, 06:05 AM
They told me Friday on mine too.

jollyboy
12-10-2015, 08:39 AM
Well I guess it's just all part of the ongoing UAS epidemic. Since there's always a little consumer guilt involved when buying something that's more 'want' than 'need' (there is for me anyway) it's good to be able to rationalize. And what better rationalization than "but it's dirt cheap!" :)

I wonder if the intonation issues are due to a high action and strings bending sharp? (The molded fingerboard should potentially mean consistently accurate fret spacing.) Assuming this is a Korala clone, I remember having to work on the nut slots before my own instrument was truly playable. Once that was done, however, I have to say I really rather liked it.

UkieOkie
12-10-2015, 10:18 AM
Well I guess it's just all part of the ongoing UAS epidemic. Since there's always a little consumer guilt involved when buying something that's more 'want' than 'need' (there is for me anyway) it's good to be able to rationalize. And what better rationalization than "but it's dirt cheap!" :)

I wonder if the intonation issues are due to a high action and strings bending sharp? (The molded fingerboard should potentially mean consistently accurate fret spacing.) Assuming this is a Korala clone, I remember having to work on the nut slots before my own instrument was truly playable. Once that was done, however, I have to say I really rather liked it.

Thats a good point on the intonation. I also wonder what strings they are using and if they cause any tone issues while they are settling in. It may just be my cruddy ear, but I seem to notice more tonality issues while playing brand new strings. Who knows. I'll hopefully have mine tomorrow and can post some additional commentary.

kvehe
12-10-2015, 12:12 PM
It's entirely possible that some work will make a huge difference, so people should not lose heart. Working on these, though, is not my thing (at this point, anyway).

Brian1
12-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Well mine arrived today. I opened one up (red) and tuned it up. THe intonation was actually pretty good. I checked the string open and at the 12th fret and all fours strings light up green on my tuner. I then Checked the harmonic to the same result.

It isn't the prettiest sounding ukulele but isn't my worst sounding one either.

It does have a raised circular disk on the headstock that reads "vorson" inside a star. when I touched it that slid to the side (the glue was not very strong) but I centered it and stuck it back in place and it will probably stay there until I touch it again... I wanted to take it off anyway ... I think that lets us know that this is probably the same as the kealoha and Colora (?) brand because Vorson did not choose design the headstock to hold its branding in place.

It is head and shoulders above the First Act from last Christmas, and is a real ukulele unlike the one available at Walgreens... I have not compared it to a waterman.

If I was a parent who wasn't sure my kid was going to learn to play past three chord songs this is the ukulele I would buy. And in three months I'd be happy to by them something a little nicer (if they asked nice) but this ukulele will also play chord melody without any problems. Altough the action will seem a bit high for most it doesn't bother me at all.

Edit: after some thought about the above I would probably look for a Caramel or Tom ukulele if this this was not on sale for <$25. If this ukulele was at its regular price aprox $45 I would not recommend it. But under $25 shipped I am happy.

spookelele
12-11-2015, 06:44 PM
It's a korala explore.

So.. this one is kind of a fixer upper.
But.. the fixing isn't hard.
The nut slots are a little high. There's a mold line there though so filing down evenly is pretty easy. It's only a little high though.. you could probably get away with not filing it if it worries you. The nut is not replaceable and is molded into the finger board, so be cautious.

The saddle is alot high. It's probably the biggest problem with playability. But, it comes off, so sanding it down is easy.
A file and a little sand paper goes a LONG way in getting this to feeling better.

The strings are white, but I don't think they're Aquila. They feel different to me, but maybe I'm wrong.
Probably those $1 sets you see on ebay. They're not great, but they aren't immediate throw away.
The sustain on them is a little poor. Tone is ok though.

The tuners are.... junk. Something is slipping, only sometimes, but I can't quite figure out what. It almost feels like the button is slipping on the screw shaft. Tomorrow I'm going to take it apart, and see whats going on. Might be able to just heat up the metal shaft with a lighter and get it to stick. They're kinda grindy.. so maybe some graphite or oil or something. Might just be the screw in the gear is too tight. It's a bit of a shame that they cut corners on the tuners so much. A couple more bucks for a little better tuner would have made alot of difference. It's got the exact same tuners as the Korala that Baz reviewed and he didn't totally bag on them like I just did, so maybe I'm expecting too much

Aside from the super budget tuners, it seems solid enough. The headstock is slightly bendy, not so much the neck. That angle where the headstock tilts back from the fretboard seems to be where most of the bending is going on.

The volume is good, and the intonation is good. The tone is better than I thought it was going to be. Slightly plinky, but more full and rounded than the waterman. The tone is.. I dunno.. simple? There's no sparkle, but the tone is clear and pleasant. Sustain is nothing to brag about, but maybe a string change will help. The ones it comes with feel super budget.

Basically.. it needs a bit of setup to ease the action, and probably a string change, but its not just a toy/throw away.
If you're handy enough to sand down the saddle, that's all you really need to get it to be a better than you thought player.

I bought this as a give away/present for a friend.
I'm considering buying another for myself assuming I can figure out what's happening with the tuners and fix it. It might even be worth it to upgrade to a set of less cheap tuners. I think it would fit the knock around purpose pretty good. I'm not sure it would be good to leave it in a hot car though. ABS is not as hard as polycarb, and softens more in heat.

Brian1
12-11-2015, 07:05 PM
Well I am happy it does what I bought it for... It has a plastic neck and it is sturdy enough to play regular but with just a little bit of tension you can bend notes like there is a whammy bar on the ukulele and not worry to much about going out of tune. :)

WAAAAaaaaa !

LASERMAN
12-12-2015, 08:20 AM
I just got mine in the mail. The intonation is spot on, no humming strings. It's loud enough if you get into it. It sounds OK - a lot better than I thought it would. It's too soon to tell about the tuners, although I beat on it for about an hour and it's still in tune. This would seem to be THE starter ukulele -you can certainly use it to get to the point where you know if you want to invest more. I could see having it hydro-dipped with a nice graphic. It should be good for camping - I never could bring myself to take the Blackbird out in the woods. I will probably replace the strings and do a little set-up on it.

I hope they make a tenor size soon.

UkieOkie
12-12-2015, 10:30 AM
I recieved mine yesteday. The wife and kids tuned it up and soon sent me a video of my princess playing it. So after a day of being tuned it is staying in tune very well. I honestly couldn't be more pleased for 21 bucks. What a great starter/goof around uke.

Sound quality- It does not have an overall tone that I would brag about, but its tone is as good as many $100 ukes I have heard. So I would brag about the tone, but I wouldn't be ashamed of it either. It sounds like a uke! In all honesty the tone is head and sholders above the Waterman.

Playability- on mine the action was good from the start. It frets well and I don't get any buzzing. I played it for almost three hours last night and it finished as in tune as it started. That shocked me. The strings aren't great but they bend really well making bluesy runs fun.

If this was the only uke somebody ever owned, they would be missing out on some great tone that wood can offer, but honestly, they wouldn't miss much as far as just fun strumming and picking goes.

This is an entry level uke that is very playable for 21 bucks. It is a steel.

I am super pleased. Its the best $21 I have spent this year.

jollyboy
12-12-2015, 11:18 AM
It's good to hear that people are mostly happy with their purchases. It's making me miss my Korala - I was thinking I might buy myself a red one and add some Christmas decorations to it :)

Sanfe
12-12-2015, 11:41 AM
Mine arrived today.

Ugh . . .

The fretboard is completely messed up. The fretboard is flat until it meets the body then there's a bump. Because of this, there's buzzing everywhere from the 4th fret until you get over the bump. You can even see the seam between the fingerboard and the neck and body where the bump is.

No offense to others who like theirs, but mine's a POS.

UkieOkie
12-12-2015, 12:27 PM
No offense taken. you would think being all machine made and plastic would mean they were all exactly the same. Unfortunately it sounds like that's not the case. I guess you can give it a home with one of those strummers who never goes below the 4th.

spookelele
12-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Mine arrived today.

Ugh . . .

The fretboard is completely messed up. The fretboard is flat until it meets the body then there's a bump. Because of this, there's buzzing everywhere from the 4th fret until you get over the bump. You can even see the seam between the fingerboard and the neck and body where the bump is.

No offense to others who like theirs, but mine's a POS.

Good news is it came with an extended year of warranty. They should replace it for you.

stevepetergal
12-14-2015, 12:46 AM
I've had mine for several days now. I really like it. Although the action is too high to play easily, it is quite acceptable. The sound and intonation are far better than most any $100 laminate.

I think Baz was absolutely right in his review. It's really quite nice. The only thing I find different in mine is that the action is too high at the nut as well as at the saddle.

Baz didn't like the fact that is was a concert. For me, this was a requirement. I also find the neck's flexibility to be no problem. It requires far more force than Baz seems to suggest to bend. (At least mine does.)

Colonel Uke
12-14-2015, 04:02 AM
Mine arrived on Saturday. Very pleasantly surprised for $21 shipped. From everyone's reviews it sounds like quality control may be an issue, but the example I got had a great, low action with no buzzes out of the box, and tuners that hold. It came shipped in a standard soprano sized cardboard box, inside another huge (probably 3 feet tall) cardboard box stuffed with paper. Considering what that sized box probably cost to ship, they can't be making much on these. The stock strings are crap, but for the price, I expected worse. I'll replace them with some Aquilas in short order. Intonation on mine was very good, even with those nasty strings, with decent harmonics at the 12th fret. Even though my action didn't need adjusting, the fact that it has a removable, adjustable saddle gives it an advantage over the Makala Waterman to me. Seems well built and sturdy. Mine has decent sustain for a plastic uke, and isn't too "plinky-plinky" sounding. I have never really been on the plastic uke bandwagon, but am impressed with this example for what it is. It wouldn't have hurt my feelings to have paid $50-$60 for this uke, so I consider it a win. Will it ever sound like a Koa Kamaka? No, but that's not what it's trying to be.

ukegirl
12-14-2015, 04:16 AM
Sounds (no pun intended) like it would be a great beach uke.

spookelele
12-14-2015, 04:22 AM
Mine was built ok. The nut was high, and the saddle was high. I ground them both down
I replaced the strings with oasis, and it plays just fine.

The tuners needed a little attention too. The drive screw sits in 2 metal flaps. They were not bent all the way making them slightly \__/ I took some pliers and bent them to be |__| and it reduced some of the grinding. Also the screw that connects the gear to the post was loose. The combination of the loose screw and the generally slop between the drive screw and the gear means that sometimes you can turn the knob and the post doesn't turn right away especially if you were tunning up, and then backed off a bit, that extra play needs to get taken up before it starts to turn the other way. But if you keep going it will engage and then it changes pitch normally.

I also replaced the strings with oasis, and its quite punchy and plenty loud.
I dunno.... intonation was decent even with high nut/saddle, and after correcting it.. it's pretty spot on.
The tone is very one dimensional but it's not an unpleasant tone.
The one thing from a playability standpoint that I would criticize, is how fast the sustain dies even at the middle of the neck. Open, its quite acceptable, but choked up.. its a short plink with a fast fade away.

The flexi neck thing.. I really think most of the flex is in the headstock joint. If you're holding the neck part, I don't think it flexes all that much, but if you push on the head stock, it's mostly that angle joint that moves. But since you don't play on the headstock, you don't really notice it much while playing.

Really... as much as I'm nit picking.. the thing is $21 delivered, plays in tune, and doesn't seem like it's going to self destruct. And it's sound is way better than a waterman. Really.. unless you get one with a manufacturing defect.. you're going to be satisfied with it.. and if there is a defect.. it comes with 1 year warranty beyond the manufacturer's warranty, so they'll make good on it. The extended warranty comes with it free from AMS, so.. I don't know how good that actual service is.. but they seem like a pretty large outfit.

Rllink
12-14-2015, 04:27 AM
I am curious how it compares to the Waterman as well. I'm not going to buy one just to see though.

spookelele
12-14-2015, 04:58 AM
I don't think I could live with the waterman soundwise.
But.. I did play the vorson clone most of the weekend and had some good fun with it.
But boy.. when I went back to my stand-bys...

I think this is good for 2 people.
1) some one that wants to get their feet wet playing or trying to do your own first setup.
2) people that keep chasing UAS. Cuz like.. play this for a weekend, and then play your good uke.. and you'll probably realize how good your good uke really is.

ukuleleden
12-14-2015, 05:09 AM
I'm waiting for the real blowout prices on these before taking the plunge, LOL! BTW, is this made with harvested ABS? :p

Rllink
12-14-2015, 05:43 AM
I don't think I could live with the waterman soundwise.
But.. I did play the vorson clone most of the weekend and had some good fun with it.
But boy.. when I went back to my stand-bys...

I think this is good for 2 people.
1) some one that wants to get their feet wet playing or trying to do your own first setup.
2) people that keep chasing UAS. Cuz like.. play this for a weekend, and then play your good uke.. and you'll probably realize how good your good uke really is.I won a Waterman in a drawing. I played it a couple of times, but I don't like it. Some people have suggested things that I could do to make it sound better, and I just ask myself, why I would want to make it sound better? Someday I'm going to trade it in on a Dolphin.

Booli
12-14-2015, 07:55 PM
I bought one. managed to scrounge up the $21 shipped. Ordered WED night, delivered Fri noon. Shipped from Oakland NJ. I too am in northern NJ, near Morristown.

Strings on it are NOT Aquila, they are WHITE NYLON. Short sustain, intonation problems, literally just CUT THEM OFF.

Removed them and then tried:

1. Aquila SuperNylguts - nice tone but no sustain

2. Oasis Warm High G - too much tension, notes would go sharp or flat depending upon your fretting hand pressure and simply plucking the open C string the note sounded like it had a chorusing effect due to the neck MOVING sympathetically with the string arc vibration, also with both strings sets, the open C string resonated in a way that produces a 'Wolf Tone', not good

3. Put on Worth Clear CL, which is their lightest and thinnest string set, and all the above problems went away.

Action is high at both nut an saddle. Nut height is causing intonation issues in frets 1 to 3, saddle height causing intonation issues at frets 10 to 12. BOTH can be remedied easily with a needle file and sandpaper respectively to lower them each about 1mm.

I think it has a pleasing, very UKE-LIKE sound, and is very comfortable in hand.

I wanted a beater for the car, but not spend for the ODU tenor, and this will work perfectly for that purpose. (I have several upgraded Fluke and Flea ukes and they are NOT my beater candidates).

I already had it out and played in hospital waiting room to many compliments on the sound. I got the orange one, and the color looks like a sort of hybrid of the fluorescent orange of tennis balls, and a sort of bright pumpkin color. I am pleased with the color.

Playing softly (both fingerpicking or strumming) it has a bell-like sound with a long sustain on the Worth CL strings, and if you drive it hard it barks nice and punchy when strummed in a frenetic flamenco-inspired manner.

I am pleased with it overall, and quite happy that it was available for $21 to my door, came in 2 days, and with a string change sounds and plays nice.

Sometime in the next week as I play it more, if the intonation issues still bother me, I will sand down the bottom of the saddle and file the nut slots, otherwise, the sample unit I got is representative of most sub-$100 ukes that have shipped from an Asian factory and not had the benefit of a proper setup from the vendor.

I am tempted to get 2 more (with my Sister's permission and reimbursement), for my niece and nephew and once I can do a setup and string change, think that they will have a nice beater to take around without worrying about their 'precious' wooden Makala MK-C concert ukes (which they handle with extreme care).

EDITED TO ADD:

I too noticed the grinding in the tuners, and despite putting a drop of 3-in-1 oil on the worm gear and betw the gear wheel and back plate, the grinding persisted, so AS INDICATE ABOVE by spookelele (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?117178-New-Vorson-25-plastic-concert-uke&p=1787957#post1787957) , the 'r'-shape part the holds the button shaft against the gear wheel, which was also in fact like \__/, using channel-lock pliers made it like |__| just like spookelele, and now the tuners turn without grinding and quite easily. They feel pretty nice now.

natchez
12-16-2015, 06:10 AM
An orange one arrived at my house yesterday, and I opened it this morning. It is for a friend's 6-year old boy for Christmas. He is also getting a Jurassic World Lego set, so this is just an add-on gift. I bought his older sister a Oscar Schmidt OU2 concert starter pack and he is always messing with her things, so I figured he would like one to play with. It is just fine for its intended use, and actually quite a bit more.

Yes, the tuners needed to be squeezed straight with a pliers, the strings are awful, and the action is high enough to fly a kite. But, surprisingly the intonation is not bad pretty much + or minus 5 cents anywhere on the fret board and it will play a tune well enough. I have heard worse for more money. I tuned it up, adjusted the tuners and put it back into the box until Christmas. If the little guy actually starts showing a meaningful interest in playing, I will adjust the action down. Mostly, I think he will just strum it around the house, pretending to be a rock star, and hopefully leave his sister's ukulele alone.

Actually, the Oscar Schmidt OU2 took me more time to set up and get playing well than this plastic one would.

Thanks to the OP for the tip; I would not have seen it otherwise.

spookelele
12-16-2015, 06:20 AM
I wanted a beater for the car, but not spend for the ODU tenor, and this will work perfectly for that purpose.

Might be a little careful there. I've read a couple of gripes about this, and the kealoha one where people left it in a hot car, and the neck bowed unfix-ably.

I bought a set of grover sta-tites.. they wont fit because the post is too short.. or the plastic head is too thick. Shoulda measured first.. but if anyone is thinking that.. maybe I can save them the trouble.

Brian1
12-16-2015, 09:17 AM
Might be a little careful there. I've read a couple of gripes about this, and the kealoha one where people left it in a hot car, and the neck bowed unfix-ably.

I couldn't agree more about not leaving this in a car in warm weather. ABS plastic is often used in heat forming plastic (where a sheet is melted into a form )

RPA_Ukuleles
12-16-2015, 11:35 AM
There are pretty much two major categories of plastics out there; Thermoplastic and Thermoset. Objects made of Thermoplastic will become soft again when heated, while thermosets harden when manufactured, and are not softened again by heat once they are formed. ABS (Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene) is in fact a Thermoplastic. So, it is susceptible to deforming when exposed to high heat. The basic ABS melting operating range can be up to 176 deg. F. But without knowing the exact formula of this ABS, it would be hard to predict the emperature at which the Vorson uke would start to deform. And tension from the strings only makes this problem worse. So keeping it in a car on a hot day (depending on what part of the world you live in) might not be a good idea.

UkieOkie
12-17-2015, 03:53 AM
There are pretty much two major categories of plastics out there; Thermoplastic and Thermoset. Objects made of Thermoplastic will become soft again when heated, while thermosets harden when manufactured, and are not softened again by heat once they are formed. ABS (Acrylonitrile-Butadiene-Styrene) is in fact a Thermoplastic. So, it is susceptible to deforming when exposed to high heat. The basic ABS melting operating range can be up to 176 deg. F. But without knowing the exact formula of this ABS, it would be hard to predict the emperature at which the Vorson uke would start to deform. And tension from the strings only makes this problem worse. So keeping it in a car on a hot day (depending on what part of the world you live in) might not be a good idea.

Good info. Thank you.

Sanfe
12-17-2015, 05:11 PM
The price has gone back up to $25 . . .

mojopreest
01-22-2016, 12:16 AM
I just received one and I agree with all the above. My original order was for an all black on but they were on back order. I waited a couple of weeks before contacting them to check the status only to find out there was a shipping delay. I settled on orange as a substitute and I'm quite pleased with it.

I'm going to do the usual nut filing and saddle lowering but substitute some wood for the plastic saddle just for kicks. I'm also going to add some side markers to the fret board as it's bothersome without them in low light situations. Like all my other ukes, it's going to be linear rather than reentrant tuning. The stuff I play just sounds better with a low g. That leaves me on the frontier for string choice as I see no recommendations or endorsements for that.

Booli
01-22-2016, 05:07 AM
I just received one and I agree with all the above. My original order was for an all black on but they were on back order. I waited a couple of weeks before contacting them to check the status only to find out there was a shipping delay. I settled on orange as a substitute and I'm quite pleased with it.

I'm going to do the usual nut filing and saddle lowering but substitute some wood for the plastic saddle just for kicks. I'm also going to add some side markers to the fret board as it's bothersome without them in low light situations. Like all my other ukes, it's going to be linear rather than reentrant tuning. The stuff I play just sounds better with a low g. That leaves me on the frontier for string choice as I see no recommendations or endorsements for that.

Did you not see the details in my previous posts about strings?

Please go back and see what I wrote.

Only difference is that I'd not strung with LOW G. But for that I'd get a single Fluoro, like the PhD, and use that with a set of Worth CL, to keep the strings lower tension, otherwise you get the whammy bar effect due the neck flexing when the string is plucked, yes EVEN the OPEN string.

mojopreest
01-22-2016, 06:37 AM
To be honest, I read the first 3 pages then skipped to the latest. I like the way it sounds out of the box but I'm going to lower the action and replace the strings. I can already see some distortion in the sound board so the quicker I get the stock strings off there the better. I love it so far otherwise.

bradben
01-22-2016, 06:47 AM
For $25, you can't go wrong. I bought a $40 "Hola" soprano off of Amazon (in purple :p ) just to have a beater uke to take camping, etc. Put some Aquila strings on it, and it actually sounds okay for your basic chord stuff. And if it gets dinged or rained on or trampled, I'm not going to have a heart attack.

mojopreest
01-22-2016, 08:35 AM
Booli,
You're coming down pretty hard here. If I offended you, I apologize. I didn't notice anything about low G in your string trial/review but since you seem to be taking it personally I'm sorry.

Skunk Shampoo
01-22-2016, 09:35 AM
I just received my Vorson plasti-uke the other day. I went with Orange to compliment my blue Kala Makala Shark and also because it could pass as high-viz to blend with my riding gear. My Tupperware uke, as I like to call it. A little plastic wrap and some leftover mashed potatoes, and we will be in business. (I'm considering printing out a Tupperware logo to stick on the headstock in place of the Vorson logo, which peels right off)

I noticed the resonance sounds like someone made a uke out of a plastic bucket. That's to be expected, but each strum carries a sound similar to someone tapping on the lid of a Rubbermaid container. Not to complain. $25 and I got my first concert uke. I'm enjoying it :). It might partially be the fault of the stock strings. I can't say.

Those Worth Clear CL strings. I did a search on Amazon and came up with a set that cost around 18 dollars. Is that about right? I'm just asking because that is nearly the cost of the uke itself :P

Booli
01-22-2016, 10:12 AM
I just received my Vorson plasti-uke the other day. I went with Orange to compliment my blue Kala Makala Shark and also because it could pass as high-viz to blend with my riding gear. My Tupperware uke, as I like to call it. A little plastic wrap and some leftover mashed potatoes, and we will be in business. (I'm considering printing out a Tupperware logo to stick on the headstock in place of the Vorson logo, which peels right off)

I noticed the resonance sounds like someone made a uke out of a plastic bucket. That's to be expected, but each strum carries a sound similar to someone tapping on the lid of a Rubbermaid container. Not to complain. $25 and I got my first concert uke. I'm enjoying it :). It might partially be the fault of the stock strings. I can't say.

Those Worth Clear CL strings. I did a search on Amazon and came up with a set that cost around 18 dollars. Is that about right? I'm just asking because that is nearly the cost of the uke itself :P

Congrats on your new toy :)

Worth strings are all DOUBLE sets, i.e. you cut them IN HALF before use, and you get TWO sets for that price.

You can get them cheaper at Strings & Beyond (and 10% off if you use the link in my signature).

They are also available at Strings By Mail, Just Strings, Elderly, Uke Republic and IIRC the price is typically between $12-$14 most places, but all have a minimum order to get free shipping. So balance that against Amazon's price + shipping or if it is Prime eligible.

On the surface it may seem odd that a set if Worth strings cost close to the price of the cheapest playable uke (that I've seen).

That's where a double set of Worth's is priced always, if anything is questioned it should be how good or how crappy a uke you can get for $25.

Most single set of fluoro uke strings are priced anywhere from $5 to $10 per SINGLE set of strings, so $14 for Worths is in the ballpark.

You can see ALL of Worth strings here on their web site:

http://worthc.to/english/w_strings.html

strumsilly
01-22-2016, 01:38 PM
for less than $50 you can get one of these. and for $10 more you can get a solid spruce top glossy one. I've got both and I think Ikike this lam better. It's really thin. It actually was pretty good right out of the box. probably will sound even better with some fresh strings. If they are all this good, why buy plastic? string through bridge too!. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017LLK4HO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

buddhuu
01-22-2016, 01:45 PM
This post has been edited.

The situation to which it referred is now resolved and all is well. Have a good weekend, everyone! :)

Booli
01-23-2016, 06:10 AM
for less than $50 you can get one of these. and for $10 more you can get a solid spruce top glossy one. I've got both and I think Ikike this lam better. It's really thin. It actually was pretty good right out of the box. probably will sound even better with some fresh strings. If they are all this good, why buy plastic? string through bridge too!. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017LLK4HO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

You make a good point here. I guess the draw to the Vorson is that it is ~$20 and pretty playable out of the box. I'd grab one of those Kmise tenors, but string-thru is a problem if you want to thread from underneath any re-used set of strings unless the soundhole is wide enough to get your hand inside the body. Good price for a tenor beater.

Booli
01-11-2017, 08:41 AM
Since this thread has come up in other conversations, I want to make sure folks see my recommendations for a MUCH better choice, and my reasons WHY this uke is a BAD option, in the following threads:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?125026-Plastic-Travel-Uke

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?125035-Car-uke-sugestions

Of course this is just my own 2 pence worth, but I was VERY disappointed as you will see down in the second thread linked here.

cml
01-11-2017, 09:18 AM
I have the European version of this, a Korala. Contrary to Booli, I love it. It's my bring outside and take where ever uke. Sure, if you actively try to bend the neck it'll flex, but not during normal play. Perhaps you got a dud rather than a fluke Booli (pun intended:))?

Let's be realistic here, it's a plastic uke for ~25$. And for what it is, it's bloody fantastic:D!

spookelele
01-11-2017, 09:23 AM
I have the European version of this, a Korala. Contrary to Booli, I love it. It's my bring outside and take where ever uke. Sure, if you actively try to bend the neck it'll flex, but not during normal play. Perhaps you got a dud rather than a fluke Booli (pun intended:))?

Let's be realistic here, it's a plastic uke for ~25$. And for what it is, it's bloody fantastic:D!

I think the korala may be from the same mold, but they're usually listed as polycarb. The vorson is abs. Abs is much softer and much more heat affected than abs

Booli
01-11-2017, 09:40 AM

I am glad you are happy with yours :) :music: and maybe you got a 'good one'

On mine, the pitch fluctuation from the neck flex, and inability to adjust the intonation, even slightly, are offensive to my ear, like fingernails on a chalkboard. Yes, I am now a 'sensitive' sod LOL.

Yes, it's only a $25 uke, but for me, the Vorson flavor is just not playable, rather it's painful to listen to since my hearing perception has become accustomed to the near-perfect intonation on a Fluke or Flea uke.

Yes the Flea and Fluke are about 10x the price, but for about double the cost of the Vorson, you can still buy a fully setup Makala Dolphin or Shark from places that do a full setup like Uke Republic, or an Alic soprano for about $100 or less from Southern Ukulele Store or Omega Music in the UK if you are in the EU.

Don't get me wrong, the fit and finish of the Vorson is fine, and the neck feels good, and I REALLY wanted to like this uke, but there are better choices for a little more money. It all depends upon your thresholds for 'disposable' vs 'not playable' vs. 'easy to replace'...

Booli
01-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Might as well just get one of these for $7:

http://img2.banggood.com/thumb/view/2014/huangxiaobin/09/SKU216021/SKU216021i1.jpg

http://www.banggood.com/4-String-Acoustic-Guitar-Wisdom-Development-Simulation-Toy-For-Baby-Children-p-999539.html?rmmds=category