Christmas Ukulele giving

ukuleleden

Reaction score
My daughter who already plays piano and clarinet had expressed interest in playing some of my ukuleles. So while I was shopping, it struck me that I knew at least one other person who plays or used to play a musical instrument, but hadn't in years, and may like to play a uke of their own. So while I was out selecting the uke my daughter expressed interest in (a blue dolphin), I picked up an extra dolphin for a Christmas present for them both.

I thought it was interesting that the salesman said he sells more Dolphin Ukes that people buy as gifts for others than all of their other Uke sales combined. I am posting this mainly as a suggestion to others that if you're thinking of buying a gift for someone, why not get them a ukulele and include a print out of Uncle Rod's boot camp? It could bring them more fun than say a gift card or a book!

A pic of the dolphin I purchased for my daughter before it goes for wrapping...:

Last edited:
I think that is an excellent choice. I have a Waterman, and I would much rather have a Dolphin.

My two older kids are gettib ukes. I bought one cheap soprano for them all to share and told them if they showed progress on learning on that one I would buy them each their own. They have done so well. My daughter is only six and she strums well and knows twelve chords. My older son is eight and he has now written several songs on the Uke.

I think that is an excellent choice. I have a Waterman, and I would much rather have a Dolphin.

Yes, that "group praise" the dolphin's receive really holds true to the actual instrument. Pretty tough to beat for the price quite honestly, and certainly great for many uses of any player's needs, beginner or experienced.

My two older kids are gettib ukes. I bought one cheap soprano for them all to share and told them if they showed progress on learning on that one I would buy them each their own. They have done so well. My daughter is only six and she strums well and knows twelve chords. My older son is eight and he has now written several songs on the Uke.

Thats great, Okie. It is great to give your children a goal to work toward and reward them for their efforts of getting there. I have always believed too that our children did better with their studies when also having an involvement with music.

Dolphins (and the Sharks) are awesome. Bought one for a niece a couple of years ago, and one for an adult friend recently - they love them. Definitely instruments not toys.

Bought myself a Kala Ukadelic recently as well, and that's also fantastic.

Ive never tried a Dolphin (I don't think anyone around these parts sells them)

I picked up two (identical) Kala sopranos for my nieces for Christmas. Swapped the strings for some fluorocarbons and oiled up the freeboards. With the new strings they sound very nice.

The quality of the various entry level ukes is surprising.

I gave my brother a green dolphin last year for Christmas. He liked it! I have a teal shark that I like!

Great Christmas presents for someone who may have the creativity itch. Uncle Rod's as a print out too is a great idea. I wish someone had given this setup to me when I was a kid

I gave my brother a green dolphin last year for Christmas. He liked it! I have a teal shark that I like!

If these allow you to play when you otherwise might not have, they're a great solution. It's also a good feeling to give something that'll can bring much joy and satisfaction to those we know. A uke is about the best thing I can think of.

I've given 2 Dolphins as presents. The recipients were tickled pink. They both came from Mim, setup with Aquilas. I was gifted a red one a long time ago, it didn't sound good until I put Martin strings on it.

I've given 2 Dolphins as presents. The recipients were tickled pink. They both came from Mim, setup with Aquilas. I was gifted a red one a long time ago, it didn't sound good until I put Martin strings on it.

Great stuff,Nickie! Nothing like giving the gift of music! And from MIM's, I bet they were awesome players too!

Thats great, Okie. It is great to give your children a goal to work toward and reward them for their efforts of getting there. I have always believed too that our children did better with their studies when also having an involvement with music.

Thank you for the encouragement. They have really taken to the all sorts of musc but especially the Uke. We have a djembe drum, harmonicas, guitars and a borrowed banjo. We homeschool so we for to give them room to explore things like music. Oh they also do choir at our homeschool co-op. Anyway thanks again.

My nieces get Bugsgear ukes. They are 4 and 6.

All the Kalas including the Dolphins and the newer Sharks come with Aquilas now. I got a Shark for my 7-year-old and he loves it.

I got my wife a Pono Mahohany PC concert. Wanted her to have a good instrument to learn on as I would really like to do duo's with her. She has such a good voice.

It is nice to see the ukulele getting spread around through gifts. I know that that the ukulele has become the single most enjoyable activity I partake in, and if that were to happen for another person through the simple act of a gift, all that much better!

I love the idea of people giving ukuleles as Christmas gifts!

The used instrument store down the street from my house always has a really great selection of pristine, used ukuleles at half price about 6 weeks after Christmas.

I love the idea of people giving ukuleles as Christmas gifts!

The used instrument store down the street from my house always has a really great selection of pristine, used ukuleles at half price about 6 weeks after Christmas.

LOL, the ukulele circle of life is alive and well apparently! :p

Top Bottom