Kala ka-atp-ctg-ce*

DMax

Reaction score
I've had the opportunity to play a coworker's KALA KA-ATP-CTG-CE* tenor this week and I have to agree with the many post on this forum concerning this model.
This is an exceptional uke. The volume, clarity, separation of string tones and long lasting sustain is what I expect from a top dollar K brand, yet these are affordable.
On top of all the above the quality of workmanship leave nothing to else to desire and it is a very good looking.
Prior to being offered the use of this uke, I had ordered the KALA KA-ATP-CTG which is the non cutaway body with no electronics.
I am anxiously awaiting delivery.
But for those interested I found this:

http://davesguitar.com/products/kala/ka-atp-ctg-ce-tenor-cutaway-ukulele/

This is an exceptional price on an exceptional ukekele.
I've paid just $20.00 less for non electric, non cutaway model.
Had I not already ordered and paid for mine from another dealer I would have snatched this up.

Yes, it's a great instrument at a great price. I purchased mine from MIM's Ukes via her eBay page she links from her homepage. MIM checks and adjusts the set-ups as necessary, and mine arrive perfectly set up with what I felt had its action set just right, and more importantly it had great intonation up and down the neck. This model proved to me that having a solid cedar top uke among the herd is a must. This one does it very well without being a buck buster.

Last edited:
Stu Fuchs plays one. It was quite good both plugged and unplugged. I had the concert version and was very impressed.

I have the tenor acoustic version. I love it but I do have one negative comment...

It has spoiled me for most other ukes. It has effectively squashed my UAS. It's my second uke after an entry level Kala laminate. I was so impressed with this uke but still I wanted a dozen more ukes. Every week I go to my local shop for lessons and when I strum the other ukes then strum mine I go quietly into my lesson room with a feeling of contentment that I found "the one". At some point I wanted a dedicated low G uke and bought a Pono MT from HMS. I love everything about the Pono but the Kala cedar is in no danger of being dethroned. At this point it feels like a part of me. In fact I've become so accustomed to it that when I do desire another uke it's the cutaway acoustic electric version of the one I already have.

I agree. A poor man's Mercedes or BMW. Kind of like the Passat of ukes. I have a much more expensive and better sounding uke here in Honoluu but I have one of these on the mainland. Definitely a fine uke. Cedar in warm. Well made. Nice neck.

My go to uke for gigs, recommended to me by Mim.

Last edited:
Top Bottom