What do you like about the ukulele?

rayan

Ukulele Underground Staff
UU+
Reaction score
I think the ukulele is a great instrument for people who never played anything before. 4 strings is pretty easy to learn but takes years to master. I also love the sound of it. I actually perfer the tone of the ukulele for instrumentals over guitars.

What do you guys like about our 4-stringed friend?

Just some reasons that I like the uke:

#1 I like the fact that it is simply more unique than the guitar. Although I love the sound of a guitar almost as much as the uke, everyone and their mother plays the guitar these days..

#2 Also, like Jake has said before...although the ukulele may be fairly easy to learn because of its simplicity, it is very difficult to master due to its simplicty...

#3 Also, easy to travel with....took mine on a surf trip, for example, to C. Amer. last year with no worries..:D

you always smile when you play the ukulele.

its small and you can play in the car unlike a guitar. the sound is warm.

and most of of....i get a lot of women complement me when i play well. see with a guitar, its like "meh....he can join the other billion players"

1. I just like the sound of ukulele.
2. It's very portable. You can pick it up and just about play it anywhere.
3. It's easy to learn.
4. It's still very unique outside of Hawaii and Japan.

Best part: I can play it in the bathroom. It's very hard to play guitar in there...

But other perks include:
-Being able to play local songs that I know
-Non-metal strings FTW
-Only 4 strings!
-Getting down with my local side

There are so many things, but I'll just knock out the first (and not necessarily the top) 10 that come to mind . . .

1. Ukulele doesn't bitch.
2. Ukulele is very portable - great for long trips on public transp.
3. Ukulele doesn't bitch.
4. Ukulele is fun to learn, and you're never 'done' learning.
5. Ukulele doesn't bitch.
6. Ukulele makes people happy, even if you don't play well.
7. Ukulele doesn't bitch.
8. Ukulele is simple at a glance, and beautiful up close.
9. Ukulele doesn't bitch.
10. Ukulele doesn't mind being 'one of many'.

1. My dad and uncle taught me at first, so it has a lot of sentimental value and good memories associated with it.

2. Like Fred said, you can play in your car, on lunch break, etc.

3. Sonically, I can't say I love it more or less than any other instrument because every instrument has its own unique thing, but it fits into almost every song I like to play. I guess I mean it suits my style of playing.

4. reentrant tuning lends itself to many different approaches.

5. all my heroes played it when I was growing up (My Dad, My Uncle, Peter Moon, and Troy Fernandez)

how different it is to a guitar, yet people still think they are similar.

You can get a nice one for much less than the cost of a nice guitar.
It's easy on the fingers compared to steel string guitars.
You can take it and play it pretty much anywhere.
It's such a happy little instrument.
The sound of it makes you think of paradise.

i love how it is spelled

i like how it makes me look bigger

i love how some "musicians" will scoff at it, not knowing how respected it is by all their greatest influences

i love how i NEED to play my uke

and yes, i stole this one, but i agree... they don't bitch. especially about not being the only one! hahaha

-I love the sound of the ukulele
-I love changing peoples negative opinions about it
-I like that they are usually affordable
-I like that its different

What's not to like?

I recently came across an article that described the ukulele as, "...an instrument of innocent merriment." They are easy to play, easy to bring along and enormously rewarding of the smallest effort. They're cheap. A good playable ukulele costs a quarter as much as a good playable guitar. They're a cheap musical education. If, like me, you are an ardent music lover, a uke is a good way to learn something about how music works- how songs are structured, what musicians have to learn to be able to do what they do and lots more. I think that last is the most important to me. I'm not looking to be a great musician. I'm looking to be a little more active in my love of music. The ukulele is a fun, beautiful way do that.

i like that it was so simple for me to tranfur skills from the guitar to the ukulele and i also like how easy it is to learn

1. The tone, sound
2. Portable and relatively inexpensive. There are some relatively good sounding and relatively inexpensive instruments that you can take almost anywhere to play without having to be too concerned if an incident happens.
3. Joy to play. You can take the instrument to whatever level you are capable of achieving and enjoy playing the instrument at that level. Reaching your potential limits is a pleasant process.
4. Seems to appeal to a wide range of people without an elitist attitude who are willing to share their understanding of the instrument. Brings out the good in people.
5. Good for the mind, body and soul.

i really love the size of it itself

but the thing that gets me the most is just the sound.

its beautiful, ive never heard anything like it.

its soothing but it can also be playful and loud if you want it to be.

theres just no other word to describe it except beautiful

just the look of the kurly koa wood, the aquila strings, and the mellow sound of a tenor uke just astounds me.

I think I'll be the first to mention the rich, woody smell.

Pretty much everything about it makes me happy. Just look at the way Roy Smeck grins when he plays! How can anyone not love the ukulele?

What do I like about ukulele?
-I like the size.
-I like the portability.
-The unique sound.
-It's unique looks and designs.
-It's simplicities and complexities.
-The way I can never get tired of it.
-It's nylon strings that make it so much easier on your fingers.
-The feel of the frets when I play.
-The way it can bring people together without even trying.

Size.

Easy to travel with when on business trips. Fits in my lap when in my chair watching the tube.

Also because it's a different sound/feel than my guitars, which I haven't touched since I got my first uke.

Top Bottom