Cordoba 23T-CE

chikon2000

Reaction score
Has anyone played the Cordoba 23T-CE? There seem to be many fans of the 20TM here, but at least on paper, the 23T-CE seems better equipped for just a little more money (upgraded tuners, bone nut and saddle, binding).
https://allstringsnylon.com/cordoba-23t-ce-electric-tenor-ukulele
I've also never played an ovangkol uke, and so don't know how it might compare to the mahogany top of the 20TM. Michael

Cordoba 20 Series vs. 23 Series

Has anyone played the Cordoba 23T-CE? There seem to be many fans of the 20TM here, but at least on paper, the 23T-CE seems better equipped for just a little more money (upgraded tuners, bone nut and saddle, binding).
https://allstringsnylon.com/cordoba-23t-ce-electric-tenor-ukulele
I've also never played an ovangkol uke, and so don't know how it might compare to the mahogany top of the 20TM. Michael

Hi Michael,One of the great things about the Cordoba line of ukes is that it offers something for everyone in terms of sound, personal tastes in woods and features. The 20 TM or the 20TM CE is a very nice solid mahogany top uke, with the CE having the added features of electronics and a cutaway. Acoustically speaking, the the 20 series mahogany top and mahogany laminate sides produce that characteristic mahogany sound which is more rounded, colored, and in some ways muted in that the projection is a bit understated. These are not undesirable qualities, but just those which make a 20 series uke a 20, notwithstanding the downgraded appointments, ie, machines, nut and saddle.

The 23 series ukes are most certainly a step up in terms of appointments, and of course the more exotic solid ovangkol top and matching laminated sides produce a more defined and focused sounding instrument with a bit more of an edge. Let's just say a more bell-like quality. As both of these ukes use the same undersaddle piezo/preamp rig, which is an oem version of a Fishman product, there's really no advantage electronically of one series uke over the other. It's really more of a manner how the electronics package responds to the different "boxes" made from different woods and ever so slightly different body shapes. And even then your dealing with an undersaddle compression pickup, so one has to wonder how much the character of the "box" even matters. What it really boils down to is personal taste, budget and how much appeal each series features has to you personally. Interestingly enough, I set up many ukes every month and have the opportunity to choose any uke I want to play from our inventory, yet I find myself gravitating towards the Cordoba 15CM. I just find it fun to have any uke in my hands that isn't tearing my left hand apart due to sharp frets, stays in tune, has good action, and is appealing to my ear. Chuck

Thanks, Chuck. This is a great comparison between the 2. I was initially drawn to the 22T-CE, since it is so nice looking, but in the video provided by Cordoba, the spruce top sounded a little too bright for my taste.

Top Bottom