Imua koa natural cutaway tenor itcwyn

Martijn

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Here's a little review of my new ukulele.
The beautiful IMUA KOA NATURAL CUTAWAY TENOR ITCWYN,
Price $889 including Uke crazy case

SPECS ;
• Top, Back, & Sides: Solid Hawaiian koa
• Neck: Genuine (Honduras) Mahogany
• Fingerboard & Bridge: Indian rosewood w/ abalone dots
• Nut & Saddle: TUSQ
• Tuner: Grover Geared side chrome
• Finish: Oil satin
• 20-fret scale with real abalone position markers and fret dots

Bought this Uke a couple of weeks ago at Hawaii Music Supply.
I really love the design and the sound.
It's a tenor Uke but definitely on the smaller side.
I think because of that, for me it's sound is best discribed as somewhere between a concert and tenor size tone.
Sweet and mellow and a nice treble.
Not as harp like as a high gloss can sound sometimes.
Check out the beautiful sound sample from Kalei Gamiao of this Uke at the Hawaii Music Supply site!
Because of the Natural oil finish the sustain is long and you just feel the body vibrating and is very responsive.

De gotoh tuners work perfect, very accurate and keep the Uke perfect in tune.
I heard these Gotoh tuners aren't stock, but these are a HMS upgrade when they order
IMUA ukulele s.
I think these tuners are a perfect match for this Ukulele, really beautiful with this sort of headstock.
Keep in mind the oil satin finish is not as protective as a high gloss or a normal lacquer satin finish.
Intonation, playability are awesome as usual thanks to the excellent work of Joel!
I think Imua made a really really nice Uke with the looks a character and sound of it's own.
I really like the florentine cutaway, and the headstock with the gotoh's.
The neck and fretboard feels and plays great.
I think it's about time to talk about the 4 K's and the 1 i :D when people mention Hawaiian hand made ukuleles.
IMUA ukes have their own sound and style wich is a welcome addition to the Hawaiian brands.

This is my third uke from HMS and hope it won't be my last!
Aloha and Mahalo to HMS, and IMUA ukulele for making such a fine uke!

Aloha from a rainy and cold the Netherlands.

Martijn

image.jpg

Last edited:
SWEET....love that florentine cutaway.

Last edited:
Great looking and sound ukulele. It ticks off a lot of boxes I'm looking for....... Gotoh tuners as standard.......All Koa...... Made IN Hawaii........ and I just love the florentine cutaway. Exchange is only thing holding me back right now because of $CND$ is so low to US$.. Hope to have one some time in the future.
Congratulations. Are there specs at HMS as to size... you speak of slightly smaller tenor. do they still have some in stock?

Thanks everybody, I am very happy with it!

As far as I can see HMS allways try to keep a couple of IMUA ukulele's in stock.
It's definitely a tenor ukulele, but the body is slightly smaller than your average tenor ukelele.
I am not shure what brand of strings work best for this Uke.
It came with Aguila's wich where ok.
Now I'd put some d Addario's(my favorite strings) on it wich funnily enough I don't like on this uke.
I will try out some other brands the next couple of weeks.
See what works best.

Money wise, I now what you mean.
The € exchange versus $ is really a big thing for us in Europe too.
But sometimes you gotta go for it and things can't wait :cool:

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
According to this official Imua video, the tenor is that size because it's more traditional.

The Gotoh UPT Planetary tuners that came on your BADASS Imua is an upgrade directly from Imua. I personally like the Gotoh UK700's:

http://www.imua-ukulele.com/products.html#tuners

Hi Everyone,

SPECS ;

I think because of that, for me it's sound is best discribed as somewhere between a concert and tenor size tone.
Check out the beautiful sound sample from Kalei Gamiao of this Uke at the Hawaii Music Supply site!
Because of the Natural oil finish the sustain is long and you just feel the body vibrating and is very responsive.

I heard these Gotoh tuners aren't stock, but these are a HMS upgrade when they order
IMUA ukulele s.
I think these tuners are a perfect match for this Ukulele, really beautiful with this sort of headstock.
Keep in mind the oil satin finish is not as protective as a high gloss or a normal lacquer satin finish.
Intonation, playability are awesome as usual thanks to the excellent work of Joel!
I think Imua made a really really nice Uke with the looks a character and sound of it's own.
I think it's about time to talk about the 4 K's and the 1 i :D when people mention Hawaiian hand made ukuleles.
IMUA ukes have their own sound and style wich is a welcome addition to the Hawaiian brands.

Martijn

View attachment 86186

Last edited:
Then you made a WISE choice, LOL. I LOVE florentine cutaways! Izi Holokahi is my friend and I got to play his florentine cutaway before he SOLD it!

Thanks uke 182!

I've already seen this video.
In fact before buying my IMUA I've seen every You Tube video involving IMUA :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

SPECS ;

IMUA ukulele s.

Martijn

View attachment 86186
Martijn --

I was looking at that one myself... not that I could ever afford it... :( post some recordings and share some of your good fortune... :music:

-- Gary

Last edited:
Top Bottom