U-bass E string and general help needed

ballynally

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to find the right strings for my Harley Benton U-bass.
After some digging i've come up with this:
It's either going to be the Aguila Red nylgut strings OR the Pyramid copper wounds OR Pyramid tape wounds.
Now, apart from the sound of metal vs nylon/gut i have one prominant question:Which string will give me the most solid E string performance ie, the right tension? I feel that the low E normally suffers from flabbyness or is too thick.
The Aguila reds have a small diameter E but higher tension i think. I do like that idea but apparently do not slide well.My guess is that the Pyramid copper wounds will be more stable and easier to slide over.
I do however like the tape wound sound/tension on my other full scale bass.
So basically metal over nylon core or tape wound over metal core. Metal core is not really necessary for HB piezo pickup but i do like the feel/sound/tension of the strings.
Whaddaya think?

Oh, i'm handy with modifing my uke to suit the strings..

Last edited:
I've been using the new Kala metal wound nylon core strings on my custom fretless piezo bass uke and I like them. From the specs, they're a little thicker than Pyramids, and here in the States they're much less costly. The E string seems to have good tension. I also use Road Toad Pahoehoe on my other bass ukes and hands down prefer them over any of the Aquila bass strings.

I've been using the new Kala metal wound nylon core strings on my custom fretless piezo bass uke and I like them. From the specs, they're a little thicker than Pyramids, and here in the States they're much less costly. The E string seems to have good tension. I also use Road Toad Pahoehoe on my other bass ukes and hands down prefer them over any of the Aquila bass strings.

I do like that deep Pahoehoe sound. Despite tuning issues. Aquila reds have intonation and other problems

Top Bottom