PDA

View Full Version : U-bass E string and general help needed

ballynally
12-07-2015, 05:56 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to find the right strings for my Harley Benton U-bass.
After some digging i've come up with this:
It's either going to be the Aguila Red nylgut strings OR the Pyramid copper wounds OR Pyramid tape wounds.
Now, apart from the sound of metal vs nylon/gut i have one prominant question:Which string will give me the most solid E string performance ie, the right tension? I feel that the low E normally suffers from flabbyness or is too thick.
The Aguila reds have a small diameter E but higher tension i think. I do like that idea but apparently do not slide well.My guess is that the Pyramid copper wounds will be more stable and easier to slide over.
I do however like the tape wound sound/tension on my other full scale bass.
So basically metal over nylon core or tape wound over metal core. Metal core is not really necessary for HB piezo pickup but i do like the feel/sound/tension of the strings.
Whaddaya think?

Oh, i'm handy with modifing my uke to suit the strings..

kohanmike
12-07-2015, 06:23 AM
I've been using the new Kala metal wound nylon core strings on my custom fretless piezo bass uke and I like them. From the specs, they're a little thicker than Pyramids, and here in the States they're much less costly. The E string seems to have good tension. I also use Road Toad Pahoehoe on my other bass ukes and hands down prefer them over any of the Aquila bass strings.

ballynally
12-08-2015, 01:20 AM
I've been using the new Kala metal wound nylon core strings on my custom fretless piezo bass uke and I like them. From the specs, they're a little thicker than Pyramids, and here in the States they're much less costly. The E string seems to have good tension. I also use Road Toad Pahoehoe on my other bass ukes and hands down prefer them over any of the Aquila bass strings.

I do like that deep Pahoehoe sound. Despite tuning issues. Aquila reds have intonation and other problems