Problematic friction tuners

LOVEAGOODUKE

Reaction score
I've got a Mainland cedar pineapple and the tuners are really difficult to use.My other,a Mainland cedar concert has great friction tuners and are a pleasure to use but the ones on the pineapple only hold if they are so tight you can hardly turn them.I've written to Mike but he can't help suggesting possible humidity problems but it's not that as I live in theUK and they have always been tricky to use.Could they be taken apart and oiled or something,or just buy some different tuners?

Have a look at the washer type things that create the friction against the headstock. They could be cheap ones, and therefore might be giving too much 'bite'. I presume you'd have tried loosening the tension screw on the back of the peg. Hope this limited bit of info may be of use...

:)

It's possible the tuners were assembled incorrectly with the washers in the wrong place. Compare with the uke that works well.

A fix which often works is to add in a crinkle washer, at 99p for 10 from eBay sellers. I'd guess 5mm, but measure the hole in your current washers.

Edit: oil would help them slip. Just another thought, is the headstock thinner than your concert? If so, even adding plain washers might put them back in the sweet spot.

Last edited:
As vinceherman said, Gotoh Planetary Geared tuners (that look like friction tuners) are really excellent, and would go well on your Mainland !

Top Bottom