Painted Frets

beeejums

Reaction score
I didn't want to seem too much like a post whore, but...

I was thinking of doing this. I have read of people painting the frets and also of using a silver Sharpie pen. Someone on a board said that they actually used the Sharpie on the fretboard just before the fret so that it would last longer.

I have never seen any pictures of this though. I would like to. Maybe you should start another thread just for this topic.

So I'm starting another thread.

Has anyone painted the actual frets on their Flea / Fluke? What did you use? Did it work out? Should this thread be moved to the tech support forum?

I haven't painted my Flea's plastic fretboard frets. I did attach plastic side markers to the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 10th and 12th frets, and fretboard markers to the 3rd and 10th fret.

I haven't painted my Flea's plastic fretboard frets. I did attach plastic side markers to the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 10th and 12th frets, and fretboard markers to the 3rd and 10th fret.

Got any pictures to share? I'd like to see that!

JJ

I also started a thread at the Fleamarket Music forum about this topic.

On my eleuke, the markers didn't show up well on the light-colored fret board so I put stickers on them. It works great (and looks really cool)!

Hmm...if it wasn't for the fact that the sharpie would sink into the wood if you accidentally hit the fretboard, it would be cool to have colored frets on a regular uke. By frets, I mean the actual metal pieces. That would be rad!

Not the frets, but I added little side marker dots with a silver sharpie. They last a few weeks, then are worn off, so I suspect the frets would quickly return to their natural black.

Great idea.... those black frets on the flea/fluke plastic fingerboard are difficult to see. Maybe those enamel paint pens from craft stores would work, but I'm sure they'd rub off after a bit.

My little glockenspiel came with do-re-me stickers. So I stuck them on the ukurine. I left the side of the neck that faces up flat and square - the bottom side is shaped - so it gave me a nice flat place to stick them.
picture.php

one could use rust-oleum metal flake paint for metal frets. thats alot of taping up you uke and such but seems like it would be cool to have a gold spec frets. the only thing i would be worried about is the rubbing of the strings over time would wear away the color.

Top Bottom