What finish for necks?

UkieOkie

Reaction score
Hello guys. I'm about half way through making a cigar box Uke. What is a good and hopefully easy finish for the neck and such. I make knives and I always finish their handles with a good hard wax or oil finish. Is there a good brush or spray on I can get easily that will suffice? This is nuts goof around project but I would like it to hold up.

Thanks.

Trevor

Also, the fret board protrudes out onto the soundboard. What type of adhesive do you all recommend for affixing the fretboard to the soundboard?

I would think the TruOil finish would set you up nicely. It dries hard, goes on easy with a paper towel or rag, looks good and feels good on the neck.
For myself, I don't glue the fingerboard to the top

ok great. Thanks for the advice. So you just leave the fingerboard "floating" where it is over the soundboard. I was afraid of buzzing or something. Thanks again.

Ditto what Resoman said. Tru-oil is great stuff. Tung oil, dainish oil, wipe on poly are also good options. I don't glue my fingerboards either, never heard a buzz from it

ok great. Thanks for the advice. So you just leave the fingerboard "floating" where it is over the soundboard. I was afraid of buzzing or something. Thanks again.

Titebond (original) is what many of us use with good success. Clamp it, wipe off the excess glue and you're good to go. Deft spray lacquer (available at most hardware stores) might be any easy alternative to your neck finish.

For myself, I don't glue the fingerboard to the top

I know some people don't do this and I've always been curious as to why. I glue the thing down as extra insurance against neck movement and general stability. To me it seems that it isn't going to effect the top to glue it down... Oh, and a quick and dirty finish is always the over-priced but universally available Formby's Tung Oil. I've used the "mat" type rather than the "gloss" and gotten good effect with 5 or 6 coats and some buffing. Not bad actually, but not really to my taste. I'm a sucker for shiny. Can't beat it for quick and easy.

there are all kinds of finish requirements as your knife handles have taught you. i have finished different items with wax and oil, car wax, etc. you could do worse than a coat of boiled linseed oil followed by more coats down the road. you can wax over that if it grabs you. then you can bother to lacquer but hey, it's a cigar box uke.

Top Bottom