Note finder: which note is in which fret?

Louis0815

Reaction score
There's a lot of fretboard maps out there already, but they usually never link the note names on the fretboard to the notes in musical notation.

Should anyone be interested try one of these fretboard helpers:

This is what it looks like:
fretboard_helper.jpg

pls notify me of any bugs you find - and feel free to ask for other tunings

update 2015-12-12:
- added the rare notes E# and B# (I've hardly ever seen Fb or Cb, so I left these out)
- added low a version
- added version date to all updated files
- added note names to all updated files

update 2016-06-10
- added re-entrant DGBE and FBbDG as requested in post #18

Last edited:
Thank you. Can also affix a Snark and follow along with the sheet music for sensory impact of hearing it, seeing the note on the tuner, and reading from the sheet music. I am a visual/kinesthetic learner and that helps me.

Thanks! I like this; it helps decipher tab for those of us who can read music.

Great idea, thanks for posting.

Question about the Bass version, am I right in thinking the last bits are in tenor clef? Personally I'd rather see it in treble clef myself. I used to play cello, so had to get my head around tenor clef (also used to play viola so had to learn alto clef, just to :confused: me more).

tenor clef
Well, now you get me confused :confused:
Tenor clef is usually a C clef where C4 is on the 4th line - I used an F clef with F on the 4th line (F2 in the first part, F3 in the last part)

In any case you are correct that the first parts of the bass helper are noted an octave higher (= sounding an octave lower) to avoid a visual desaster with all the ledger lines below the stave.

Would this file help you sorting out treble and bass clef?

Last edited:
Well, now you get me confused :confused:
Tenor clef is usually a C clef where C4 is on the 4th line - I used an F clef with F on the 4th line (F2 in the first part, F3 in the last part)

In any case you are correct that the first parts of the bass helper are noted an octave higher (= sounding an octave lower) to avoid a visual desaster with all the ledger lines below the stave.

Would this file help you sorting out treble and bass clef?

D'Oh ! I hadn't realised that the first part was written an octave higher, so when I saw the clef in the last 3 bars I thought you had gone to tenor clef to prevent having to go way above the line in bass clef.

Apologies for confusing things, now I understand and I think it is a very useful chart.

Thanks for posting this, it's very helpful.

It's kind of like a secret decoder ring.
Well, except that it's not a ring. And... I guess it's not a secret...

:cool:

Looks like a great tool, but I'm not able to view the files correctly. If I try to save them and open them as a pdf, I get the message that the file is corrupted. Looks like I'm the only one with the problem?

Which one(s) have you tried?
(Left-)Clicking on any of the links brings up the PDFs for me, right-click and "save as" seems to work as well - at least for me.
Seems I need some more details to find the root cause...

I cannot recommend highly enough that you write out your own fretboard charts, every day, varying which string you do first.

This is very interesting I can put this to use!

Thanks.

Only just seen this now, very useful! :) Thank you.

Would it be an awful lot of work to add one for re-entrant Bb? (fBbDG) And for re-entrant dGBE? Which software did you use for making these?

Last edited:
Which software did you use for making these?
All these were made with Musescore.

Adding other tunings is not rocket science, I just need to find some time - or I can provide the source files and you can adjust it yourself.

Can I suggest that you also add a picture of the fretboard on the same page like below for gcea (imagine a picture of a uke neck around the outside)
There are already plenty of these fretboard maps out there on the web; actually I left it out on purpose because it always lacks the octaves. And I was too lazy to draw a different one for every tuning.....

Last edited:
Thank you. Can also affix a Snark and follow along with the sheet music for sensory impact of hearing it, seeing the note on the tuner, and reading from the sheet music. I am a visual/kinesthetic learner and that helps me.
I do that too. A lot of times I just go up and down the fret board, plucking the notes with my tuner set on chromatic. I read the notes on my tuner, sing the notes along with it, and visualize the notes on the staff. It has been a very good practice and is a great warmup.

In addition, when I am learning a new song, or sometimes even with songs that I already know, I will play the chord progression off the sheet and sing out loud along with the chords in the pattern that I'm strumming instead of the words, and just read along with the words in my mind. Maybe something like "bu bump bu bump bu bump bu bump". Of course, changing the pitch with the chords as they change. By doing this, you will start to hear the chords and the changes as they come. After a while, when you listen to music, you will not only start hearing familiar progressions, but you will actually recognize the chords and as time goes on, you get better and better at it. This is not something that happens over night, but over time it works.

Last edited:
Top Bottom