A question about Mele ukes

Captain Simian

Reaction score
Are Mele ukes made entirely in Hawaii or are they built in China then the final set up done in Hawaii? Their prices are pretty reasonable that's why I'm wondering.

Their web page says this: "Mele ukuleles are still entirely handmade by us, but we can’t possibly make enough of them to fill the demand, so we have designed the Hula Ukes line to be custom-made for us overseas (we still do the setup work and quality control ourselves)."

Doesn't say where they are handmade or who "us" includes. I'm not saying they aren't entirely made in Hawaii, but if they were, isn't that something you'd want to flaunt? Maybe I'm just too cynical.

But having said that, if it has the features you want at the price you want, does it really matter?

If I'm not mistaken, most are made in the Philippines. I absolutely love my Mele, it's a very well made uke! You can call the Mele factory and ask. I've called them before and they are very, very nice folks. They are an awesome uke for the money. I always keep my eye on local Craigslist in case one pops up. There is a soprano in my area now...if it were a concert I'd grab it for the $200 they're asking for it. Good luck! Go Mele!!!

Not buying one just curious about how they keep the prices low.

Top Bottom