Nose To the Grindstone

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
How much time do you spend playing games and searching eBay/Amazon and wandering around the UU on your computer, iPad, phone, etc. compared to the amount of time you spend studying and practicing and playing on your ukuleles?

I'm hoping you'll 'fess up and make me feel better. :eek:ld:

Quilty by way of name association. I spend much more time on the computer reading about stuff than actually doing that stuff. In my defense I still work full time so I am away from the ukes more than I am in their company. But still........at home it is at least as much time trapped down the electronic rabbit hole as playing.

UU is a great break/diversion. I do the Ukulele Aerobics book each day, many times going back over what I already progressed through, which is most of the book. It ensures that even if I spend more time online, Iat least got my playing regiment finished before the day's end, even if it's repetitive -especially playing scales. So online time is a pleasure, and not a guilty pleasure as long as I get the playing time in...

Definitely spend a lot more time reading, thinking, drooling about ukuleles than playing them.
In my defence, I have physical problems that limit how much I can play, but even so I don't pick up a uke every day whereas I do read here.
I've been thinking I really need to actually play more.

As long as you're having fun, that's what matters...:shaka:

I'm pretty much on UU only when I *can't* be playing my uke - for instance, during downtime at work. I'm guessing I spend 15-20 minutes a day on UU at most, and probably zero minutes searching anything uke related on shopping sites since I'm only interested in buying locally. So - 15-20 online minutes compared to between 1-3 hours playing on any average day.

And as long as we're 'fessing up - I'll admit that there is sometimes one day a week that I don't (gasp!) play uke at all. None at all! Gotta have at least one hiking/beach/outdoors day or I'd go insane. I used to bring a beater uke on those days but after realizing I didn't enjoy playing it (and didn't want to subject my good ukes to any abuse) it finally hit me that it's absolutely okay to enjoy other pursuits in addition to uke :)

Last edited:
Yep, I spend a lot of time online, it's one of my hobbies. :)

Lots of forums, lots of interests, not only ukes. ;)

Does it worry me?
Hell no, I have gone without internet before.

Why don't I play my uke more?
Because my fingers are only just getting used to holding down strings again & I'm having to learn where all the notes are. :)
(Plus trying to contort my old hands into chord shapes is also taking time. :lol: )

Keeping my nose to the grindstone just wears down my nose, so I try not to. Seriously, I do spend a lot of time on the internet. I have other interests as well, so all that does is make my internet obsessions a little more varied maybe. I don't know. I dedicate a little time each day strictly to the ukulele and nothing else. Whether I'm practicing or not is still something to argue about, but I call it practice. I am able to weave my ukulele into some of my other interests as well, so there is that. But the one thing about the ukulele, is that I have a tendency to obsess about things and burn out on them, and I learned a long time ago to fight that. I try now to have a broader scope of interests. I want to play the ukulele for a long time, which means walking away from it on a regular basis. I have to admit though, I spend more time on UU than I probably should.

Last edited:
thanks for starting the thread. I've probably played about 3 hrs a months for the last couple months as football golf and the discovery channel has taken my free time. After reading this thread last nite, I picked up the uke for about 30 mins this morn.

thanks for starting the thread. I've probably played about 3 hrs a months for the last couple months as football golf and the discovery channel has taken my free time. After reading this thread last nite, I picked up the uke for about 30 mins this morn.

Way ta go, Dan, I've been playin' more too the last coupla days. My darned iPad seems to be addictive, but lately, I've been controlling myself (a little).

:eek:ld:

Hi Dan...
I still practice everyday...hey but I am thinking about playing golf again soon(next year)...next time I see you here we go play...:) Golf...haha

Hi Dan...
I still practice everyday...hey but I am thinking about playing golf again soon(next year)...next time I see you here we go play...:) Golf...haha

Sounds like a plan! I'll borrow a license so I can get kama'aina rate...hmmm...I sorta look like Corey! lol Turtle Bay is close!

Hi Dan...
The more I practice golf, the worse I get.

Top Bottom