Looking for a music sight reading app

Still Water Weapons

Reaction score
I have been using an app to help me recognize notes on a staff. It's working OK, but just because I recognize the note as an F, I'm seeing a disconnect on learning where the note is on my uke.

Here's the question- is there an android app that shows you the note on a staff and then listens for you to play it on your instrument? Then it would "score" your learning. I've been looking through the Google play store, but so far have not found anything that does this. It seems pretty logical, I don't think I have invented the wheel here. I'm just thinking someone MUST have already thought of this! Thanks!

Chris

Go to musictheory.net. This is a website I use with my students. Click on exercises, and there is a custom exercise maker on the bottom. For fretboard identification, there is a ukulele mode, and you can adjust the tuning and how many frets you want to be questioned on. It's very neat,, and there is an app, but the web version works very well.

Go to musictheory.net. This is a website I use with my students. Click on exercises, and there is a custom exercise maker on the bottom. For fretboard identification, there is a ukulele mode, and you can adjust the tuning and how many frets you want to be questioned on. It's very neat,, and there is an app, but the web version works very well.
Can you have it give you chords or multitple notes at a time ? I can pick out the notes of a melody but if I am playing multiple notes it gets pretty hard to read music.

Can you have it give you chords or multitple notes at a time ? I can pick out the notes of a melody but if I am playing multiple notes it gets pretty hard to read music.
This is where practice kicks in ;) It will be hard at first, but you'll get used to it pretty soon.

Fretboard mapping is pure math: one semitone per fret.
The full scale consists of 12 semitones: C - C#/Db - D - D#/Eb - E - F - F#/Gb - G - G#/Ab - A - A#/Bb - B - C
(open strings marked)
E.g. F is either C string 5th fret or E string 1st fret

There is a fretboard chord identifier which will show multiple notes on the fretboard, and you can also do a fretboard interval check as well.

Here's the question- is there an android app that shows you the note on a staff and then listens for you to play it on your instrument? Then it would "score" your learning. I've been looking through the Google play store, but so far have not found anything that does this. It seems pretty logical, I don't think I have invented the wheel here. I'm just thinking someone MUST have already thought of this! Thanks!

Chris

This would be amazing. Musictheory.net is pretty good but if you could play it with your real fingers on a real instrument, I think it would be a much richer experience.

The only program I know of that even approaches what you are talking about is smartmusic which is band/orchestra focused specifically for schools and would be cost prohibitive for normal consumer usage.

DA Tuner is great, I use it.

What I'm thinking of is more of a testing app. It would show you a note on a staff and you need to play the correct note on your instrument.

I think Yousician is what you're looking for except that it's currently only for guitar and piano. Their site claims that Ukulele support is "coming soon"

EDIT: It looks like they've added ukulele support now. I'm not sure exactly what it is but the base version is free so I'm downloading it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom