NUD - Outdoor Ukulele Tenor

igorthebarbarian

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I just received my Outdoor Ukulele tenor bottle brown today. I must say I am pleased to have purchased this uke. I like it a lot. It's very cool. And it's made right here in the USA, which is even better.

I opened the rather-thin box (single box/ not double-boxed); I guess they must really trust our US Postal Service employees to not destroy these things - haha! All safe though, no problems in transit here to Arizona. The uke had its neck bubble-wrapped sufficiently. It didn't look any worse for wear in coming here.

The color is bottle brown and that's a good description for it. Sometimes it looks dark like root beer, but in good light it looks old timey see-through brown. It just depends on what kind of light you're under. - which you can really see in the pics that I uploaded. Definitely a good-looker though.

It is a little bit heavy in terms of its weight. But that is due to its very-sturdy/ very-solid construction. This ABS plastic molded/injection plastic stuff is nice and feels of a good quality build. It feels very indestructible like the Martin OXK. Definitely would make a great travel/ beater/ beach uke.

I got mine with the K&K Passive pickup, and a 2nd strap button installed. I briefly plugged it in and it does sound good through an amp. It works and that's basically all I wanted to test at this point.

The tuners are nice and seem to hold tuning well already. They're easy to turn.

The action is low, which I was a little worried about given that you can't adjust it. But they seem to have settled on a nice low action. No lowering required for me. Intonation seems very good too.

It comes with Rye Rabbit strings, which appear to be your basic fluorocarbon strings. They sound weak though, and that's my only real concern right now. These may be "light" strings.

Currently it is not a loud uke by any means. I am hopeful that once I switch out the strings, that may make a difference. As another person here mentioned, it's nicer in the mid's and high's than any low's. The sound is a little thin at the moment.

The neck profile is kind of square in a Flea/Fluke-sort of way, but not as thick or uncomfortable as I find the Flea's/Fluke's. The Outdoor Uke's is not super-thin low-profile neck, which I would prefer but given the design, I don't think that would be possible. Since it's plastic-y material, it is very easy to slide up/down the neck. The neck was initially a concern for me, but I like the profile/ it's comfortable.

I never played the original soprano version of the Outdoor Ukulele, which sounds like it was universally despised, but they have done a very good job of making a good solid uke here with their Outdoor Ukulele tenor.

My final analysis/question is always, "Would you buy it again?" - and yes, I think I would.

Here are some pics:
View attachment 86293View attachment 86294View attachment 86295IMG_6364.jpgIMG_6367.jpg

Last edited:
They are a very good value. Mine is always with me.

I swapped out the "light" Rye Rabbit fluorocarbon strings for Aquila Red's that I ordered with it. I like the holes at the bottom for string changes. That makes it super-quick and easy. This was my first time with this design; more makers should use this setup.

It sounds better with the Red's (which I love by the way, in general). I think the sound is still a little "thin" / it's not very boom-y at all, which I would expect a little more from a tenor. I

really like the ease of sliding around on the neck/ it's quick with the slick smooth plastic. I may put some grip-strip pads on the back since it's a little slippery given the all-plastic backing.

Also, this Outdoor Uke sounds good through an amp. I tested it on my wife's Acoustic B15 bass amp and a Honeytone amp. I think that's a worthwhile upgrade if you're considering getting one.

Lastly, they are working on a revamped soprano, due out in ~January 2016. I think that would be an even better travel uke since it would be a bit smaller.

Congratulations! It sure looks woody!

Top Bottom