Best string choice Pono PC RTSH cedar top

fretwear

Reaction score
Hi folks, started putting on a set of BT-LG Worth brown low G strings on my Pono RTSH cedar, tuned up the G and didn't care for the tone. :confused: Wondering if the cedar top is just not bright enough for that string?
Put these same strings on a Koa bodied tenor and they are killer sounding! It was a game changer for that uke, it's been #1 from then on.

Please let me know what strings you find are a best match for the Pono rosewood/ cedar combo.

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunetly, there is no easy answer when it comes to strings. There are many threads on the subject, and that is because it is so subjective. You really will just have to try a few and see what works for you and your instrument. I don't have a cedar/RW, so I can't even suggest something that worked for me. That being said, Savarez strings for me, have always been an improvement on any uke I have put them on. I'm sure you will get suggestions for pretty much every string out there though. Happy hunting!

Oh, D'Addarrio EJ99t's, their carbon string, is a very bright and clear string, with a very affordable price as well. I have become very fond of them as well.

I really like ukulele strings, but try a search you can read for days.
The real answer is try different sets and let your ears guide your choice.

Worth browns are a warm string and a florocarbon low G is dull and boomy sounding. This is the exact opposite of what most cedar top ukes work best with. I have a Pono ET-PC, cedar/macassar ebony in low G and I love it. Go for a wound low G string, it will make a huge difference.

Try either the Oasis bright low G, South Coast HML -WB (new model not available yet) or ML-WB (new model and available).The Oasis are much cheaper, try the new smooth wound low G. A little more money but I like the sound of the new phosperous bronze wound over the older alumimum wound. Keep in mind these are double length so the price really is good.

The SouthnCoast HML are heavy mediums and ML are mediums......L stands for linear. As others have said you will have to find out for yourself and may decide a cedar top sounds better in G high for your tastes.

Worth browns are a warm string and a florocarbon low G is dull and boomy sounding. This is the exact opposite of what most cedar top ukes work best with. I have a Pono ET-PC, cedar/macassar ebony in low G and I love it. Go for a wound low G string, it will make a huge difference.

Try either the Oasis bright low G, South Coast HML -WB (new model not available yet) or ML-WB (new model and available).The Oasis are much cheaper, try the new smooth wound low G. A little more money but I like the sound of the new phosperous bronze wound over the older alumimum wound. Keep in mind these are double length so the price really is good.

The SouthnCoast HML are heavy mediums and ML are mediums......L stands for linear. As others have said you will have to find out for yourself and may decide a cedar top sounds better in G high for your tastes.

What he said.

Also, a brighter string with the cedar/rosewood combo would work better.

You might consider Worth Coears with a wound Low C.

Hey all, thanks for the help, the suggestions are great!! Just as I thought, it does need a brighter string with a wound G....funny the BT-LG Worth browns are just perfect with a Maui Music Koa tenor, went from sounding ok to killer with the string change.
Thanks for the recommendations.

funny the BT-LG Worth browns are just perfect with a Maui Music Koa tenor, went from sounding ok to killer with the string change.
Thanks for the recommendations.

I have had this happen with my Pono mango. The mango can be finicky when it comes to strings. The Worth Brown Low G did not sound good on the mango but the PHD low G sounds great.

I would agree with downupdave and sam13. They have given you some good suggestions on strings and string choices.

I would also put the PHD high G string set on your list. They are $10 for a set, which is a little expensive, but I think worth trying once.
And I love how thin they are, they have the smallest diameter of any high tension string I have played.

I have played the PHD strings and they were good as well.

However, I prefer a thicker Fluorocarbon string and like the Worth and Oasis for that reason.

I would also put the PHD high G string set on your list. They are $10 for a set, which is a little expensive, but I think worth trying once.

And I love how thin they are, they have the smallest diameter of any high tension string I have played.

I have played the PHD strings and they were good as well.

However, I prefer a thicker Fluorocarbon string and like the Worth and Oasis for that reason.

I have a Pono rosewood/cedar top on order. Would these string selections be good for high G tuning. I do not like wound strings, but do want a C string that sings a bit. Thanks.

The best strings are the ones that give you the sound you want. There's only one way to find out.

The best that threads like this can do is let you know the choices available. It's then up to you to try some out and see what you like. Personally I think there's virtually no difference between the various brands of fluorocarbon strings (which I prefer to Aquila's Nylgut). I recently changed the strings on my soprano Bruko from the supplied Pyramid carbon strings which everyone seems to moan about as they were showing signs of wear to Living Water and noticed almost no difference in tone. Both gave that soprano "bark" in D-tuning. The choice of tuning was much more significant in getting the best from the instrument than the choice of strings.

I always slap a set of Worth clears on any new use I have as I like them most, then if I'm not even work my way to Aquila.

I have a Pono rosewood/cedar top on order. Would these string selections be good for high G tuning. I do not like wound strings, but do want a C string that sings a bit. Thanks.

Yes, they would be excellent. Nice even tone. I have a set of re entrant Brown Worth on a RTC Spruce top to give it a bit more mellow sound and just love it.

Lots of good bright high G strings out there. Phd, Worth CT, Oasis just to name three. Finding that "singing" C string can take some experimentation but strings are cheap and it is really worth the effort.

Sam13 is a friend and playing partner and his spruce top Pono was too bright for his taste so the Worth Browns mellowed it out. On cedar tops we usually go for something brighter so it does not sound too muddy if strummed aggressively. It is all personal preference in sound and playing style.

I would second the use of string sets from Southcoast or Oasis with one or two wound Bass strings. However, I am using a set of all plain Worth Clears with an unwound low G on my Cedar top Pono, and that sounds very good to me. I assume that some people would consider the unwound low G string a little boomy, but I guess I just adjust my playing style to that.

Awesome.
Let me know what you think about the PHD high G strings. That didn't take long to break in and hold their tune well.

I strung them today and it gives the Pono RTSH the ringing quality I was looking for- thanks much to sam13, downupdave and johnson430 for the suggestion!

Top Bottom