Which Kamaka would you choose...concert or tenor

fopianki

Reaction score
If you were offered either a concert or Tenor Kamaka, which would you take and why? fopiank

I have both, and I'd have a hard time choosing only one of them to keep. My preferred scale is concert, but my Kamaka tenor sounds amazing. I'm not saying the concert doesn't sound good. There's just something I love about the Kamaka tenor sound.

Last edited:
If you are comfortable playing tenor scale - by all means get the tenor! I have little hands and am therefore pretty much restricted to smaller scales, and while I love my Kamaka concert and soprano ukes, I *really* love the sound of the HF-3 tenor. It's louder, has more sustain, and I find the tenor has some really nice low tones (I describe them as dark, not sure if that's the same thing that most people call warm or mellow?) that I just don't hear in smaller scale ukes. The tenor also has a 14-fret join instead of the standard 12th, which is really nice if you play further up the neck.

Well, if you can't get both then if there was a reason you would prefer the shorter scale and somewhat closer fret spacing, then the concert should be your choice. Otherwise, the Tenor would be a good choice to go with. If you have been able to play both, then go with the one that has that "feel good fit" and sound which would likely be the one you're more apt to play.

Great advice thanks! Here is another off the wall question...I've never played a pineapple Uke but it reminds my of the ovation guitars. They were a pain holding on to while playing. Is the pineapple Uke awkward to hold? Do they have a distinct sound that overrides the awkward fit? Or are these concerns just non issues?

Great advice thanks! Here is another off the wall question...I've never played a pineapple Uke but it reminds my of the ovation guitars. They were a pain holding on to while playing. Is the pineapple Uke awkward to hold? Do they have a distinct sound that overrides the awkward fit? Or are these concerns just non issues?

I have a Kamaka pineapple uke and I love it. It does have a different sound, more resonant and a bit louder than a comparable figure-8 soprano. I install strap buttons on all of my ukes so holding it was never an issue for me, but I've seen a few posts on here in which people found it more difficult.

Split the difference, get the Ohta San. ;-)

Just a thought, but in my Quest for Kamaka, I found the concerts to be more even in sound while the tenors varied quite a bit.
You said you were 'offered' so I think the concert would be a safe take, while I would need to listen and try the tenor first.
I really dig the sail headstock.

As Kamaka Tenors are highly sought after, I think they have a better resale value, if selling later on is something you would consider.

If you were offered either a concert or Tenor Kamaka, which would you take and why? fopiank
If I had to chose, I would take the concert. Because I like the concert size ukes.

Concert would be my choice. Easy to get the big stretchy chords but fuller sound than the wee soprano (which I do also love, btw).

Top Bottom