PDA

View Full Version : What's The One Uke We Want to Get for the Holidays?

rappsy
12-14-2015, 08:09 AM
Thought I would see what is on everyone's Wish List for the holidays.

We all have fantasies of what we would want if we had an unlimited budget, but if we could afford it or reasonably stretch the budget to get it, what would it be?

The one I want is a Kamaka HF-2L Super Concert Deluxe.

Your turn.

spookelele
12-14-2015, 08:12 AM
I bought the rebel alchemist.....

cpmusic
12-14-2015, 08:14 AM
A Kamaka concert will do. Doesn't even have to be fancy.

And then I'll flap my wings and fly to the moon. :)

DownUpDave
12-14-2015, 08:26 AM
I am hoping my Ono arrives by Christmas time, it will be close..........Oh I forgot about Canada Customs they like to hold things a couple weeks for no good reason at all. So that wish just got shot to hell.

I think I need some koa goodness in the stable. A finely figured Kamaka tenor would do it.

drmosser
12-14-2015, 08:39 AM
A Kanile'a "Ku'uipo" Concert in koa (their model with the heart-shaped soundhole) or
an Antico Concert from Antica Ukuleleria (http://www.anticaukuleleria.com/#!antico/cerp) which has a lovely "violin" finish over spruce top and maple back.

bellgamin
12-14-2015, 08:43 AM
A tenor banjolele with a resonator backside

Croaky Keith
12-14-2015, 08:46 AM
Possibly an electric, so as to be able to practice any time I feel like it (unplugged), & then try out some effects with it later on (?).:music:

rappsy
12-14-2015, 08:46 AM
A Kanile'a "Ku'uipo" Concert in koa (their model with the heart-shaped soundhole) or
an Antico Concert from Antica Ukuleleria (http://www.anticaukuleleria.com/#!antico/cerp) which has a lovely "violin" finish over spruce top and maple back.

Not familiar with Antico. Just checked their site. They are beautiful. I especially like the looks of the Moderno. What is the general price range for these?

dkcrown
12-14-2015, 08:52 AM
One of the Grimes tenors that HMS has. Pleeeeeeease Santa!:)

Robtjm
12-14-2015, 09:17 AM
Lenny:

You already sold me the one uke!

H.H.
Rob

Ukulelerick9255
12-14-2015, 09:53 AM
Waiting for mine but not till April....a custom build from Beau Hannam..tenor Ziricote and figured redwood with custom inlays.

UkerDanno
12-14-2015, 10:18 AM
Santa Claus, please bring me a Moore Bettah concert, all solid curly koa with rope binding.

vinceherman
12-14-2015, 11:37 AM
Mint 5k? :p

Actually, I have not tried out enough of the vintage instruments to really know what I want. I'd love to play a few from different manufacturers from the 20's or so.

Ukulele Eddie
12-14-2015, 01:09 PM
Santa delivered a few to me early, but were I to ask for one more that is "reasonable", I suppose it might be the spruce-top Kanile'a that HMS has right now, or the Larrivee Spruce/Rosewood.

spookelele
12-14-2015, 02:56 PM
One of the Grimes tenors that HMS has. Pleeeeeeease Santa!:)

Right? Those sound so sweet. I'm scratching my head that they're still there.

WCBarnes
12-14-2015, 04:44 PM
I am hoping my Ono arrives by Christmas time, it will be close..........Oh I forgot about Canada Customs they like to hold things a couple weeks for no good reason at all. So that wish just got shot to hell.

I think I need some koa goodness in the stable. A finely figured Kamaka tenor would do it.

My Christmas list is very similar. I have a custom Talsma that I am hoping to receive in time. If not that, a Kamaka concert under the tree would be a welcome sight!

wayfarer75
12-14-2015, 04:53 PM
Not in the market for anything, but it would be nice to own a vintage uke.

dkcrown
12-15-2015, 01:37 AM
Right? Those sound so sweet. I'm scratching my head that they're still there.

The fact that they are 5K might have something to do with it. Magnificent ukes, but not exactly chump change. :)

Jacman Rasta Bicycle
12-15-2015, 02:44 AM
If money is no object, I'd love to find, under the holiday shrubbery, a National Style "0" Deluxe.

mm stan
12-15-2015, 03:19 AM
If youre paying, no doubt a Moore Bettah Concert..

kkimura
12-15-2015, 03:39 AM
Kamaka Ohta-San with cedar top. (Actually, any Ohta-San will do, I'm not picky.)

Shoot, put any kind ukulele under the tree!

70sSanO
12-15-2015, 03:48 AM

Outstanding! That is one very cool ukulele. Ukulele Hunt listed it as the Most Lust-Worthy Ukulele of 2015.

I know you'll be having a great Christmas. Congrats!

John

drmosser
12-15-2015, 03:56 AM
Not familiar with Antico. Just checked their site. They are beautiful. I especially like the looks of the Moderno. What is the general price range for these?

Sent you a pm with information that I have.

Rakelele
12-15-2015, 04:04 AM
Since this is about wishes with no consideration of money: a Redwood top from Eric Devine.

However, Toby Chennell is about to finish my archtop Jazz Box Uke, and Beau Hannam has started building my wife's player's model. Maybe not by Christmas, but we will get lucky very soon... :D

Cassie
12-15-2015, 04:18 AM
I'm happy with the one I have now. I love my little Kala, aka Kalea. Yes, That's it's nickname.

bonesoup
12-15-2015, 04:28 AM
Not in the market for anything, but it would be nice to own a vintage uke.

Yeah I'm like you. At this point I wouldn't say no to something like an old Kumalae. In fact I'm going to a huge antique flea market soon. Fingers crossed haha.

strumsilly
12-15-2015, 04:33 AM
This would be a nice surprise. if 65 of us chipped in $100 each we could pass it around. that is some tasty milo. I call first dibbs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moore-Bettah-Tenor-Ukulele-/201484682212?hash=item2ee96c43e4:g:T3QAAOSwf-VWbdwk

haole
12-15-2015, 05:35 AM
Makala Waterman. Got everything else I need!.

spookelele
12-15-2015, 05:53 AM
Makala Waterman. Got everything else I need!.

I think you might want to try it before you buy.
I'm not saying you wont like it... but there's a possibility...

maxmax
12-15-2015, 09:23 AM
5-6 weeks ago, I sent my wife a link to a used Earnest Hall of Fame Ukulele, and wrote that this is what I want for Christmas and that she better hurry and buy it, cause these don't show up used very often. It was sort of a tongue in cheek thing. I mean, I'd love to have this uke, but don't really need it. She thinks I'm too obsessed with ukuleles as it is, so I never actually thought she was going to buy it. But a few days later, the Mailman showed up with a soprano sized box, shipped from the very place that had this uke!

I haven't opened it. I've looked around the house to see if we have any tape that matches the tape on the box, but no luck. I've stared at the box quite a bit. I kinda hate the box. I tried telling my wife that a uke needs a humidifier and that it can be harmful to keep a uke in a box for too long. She said I didn't have to worry about it, it's her box, not mine. Damned box.

So yeah, I want a Earnest Hall of Fame ukulele for Christmas! Think I'm going to be lucky this year. :)
Max

Patrick Madsen
12-15-2015, 09:39 AM
I think I'd like a short scale tenor guitar, radius fretboard with low, fast action; mahogany with sunburst finish. Kinnard preferably but would take any maker.

Nickie
12-15-2015, 09:48 AM
My upcoming Cocobolo concert ukulele. I'm salivating just daydreaming about it. I've already stopped playing my other ukes.
(JK)

Bill Potter
12-15-2015, 10:59 AM
The vintage camera I put up on Ebay met it's reserve Sunday night, so I picked it up yesterday! A new Martin 2K soprano. The camera buyer got a great deal on the camera, but I got an equally great deal on the Martin, so everybody WINS!

pritch
12-15-2015, 12:54 PM
There I was thinking I have everything I could want or need, then I saw the post about the Antica. Bugga!

Down up Dave, it sounds as if the Canadian Customs guys go to the same school as ours. :(

Fleacia
12-15-2015, 02:28 PM
6-string concert scale, concert body pineapple...? I don't even know of one - Mele has what I think is a standard pineapple with concert scale, or a 6-string concert, but not both. I love my Mainland red cedar concert and just got the Living Water strings I wanted. That is my one. But if I could have another uke, hats off to the 6-string pineapple! :o

Ele
12-15-2015, 04:49 PM
A Pepe Romero tenor...but I have no idea how it would feel in my hands.
Something very beautiful.....a Kinnard, a Kanile'a premium -super duper -deluxe - extra curly koa-slot head concert or tenor would do.....oh throw in some Kaneohe beach sand for bling!��

UkieOkie
12-15-2015, 05:28 PM
This would be a nice surprise. if 65 of us chipped in $100 each we could pass it around. that is some tasty milo. I call first dibbs.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moore-Bettah-Tenor-Ukulele-/201484682212?hash=item2ee96c43e4:g:T3QAAOSwf-VWbdwk

Dude or Dudette, that is actually a really neat idea when you think about it. If you passed it every two weeks that would give each person a pretty good amount of time. It just keeps cycling through. One thing that would be interesting to see is how it sounded and held up. I mean, that thing would get the hell played out of it.

Neat idea.

gregc
12-15-2015, 05:46 PM
I'll have a Beau Hannam coming, soon enough.....

strumsilly
12-16-2015, 03:56 AM
Dude or Dudette, that is actually a really neat idea when you think about it. If you passed it every two weeks that would give each person a pretty good amount of time. It just keeps cycling through. One thing that would be interesting to see is how it sounded and held up. I mean, that thing would get the hell played out of it.

Neat idea.
It needs to ave the hell played out of it. That's what they are for. :rolleyes: I don't have mine long before they have lots of strum marks and other play wear.

Maiden Uke
12-16-2015, 03:57 AM
Would like to get a Romero tiny tenor or a concert Magic Fluke firefly or a Martin 2K tenor or....

Ukejenny
12-16-2015, 06:59 AM
My Outdoor Ukulele was signed by the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britian, so I no longer carry it in the van. It is hanging on the wall. Now I need another plastic ukulele for my van. I went with the Bugs Gear concert. Green. Already have it, just haven't wrapped it and put it under the tree. It plays very nicely. Nice little sound, the low G surprised me.

SoloRule
12-16-2015, 12:38 PM

Hope Canada post doesn't lose your uke like they did with Corey's strings.
Please ask Santa to send me a Blackbird or a Pineapple Sunday. I have been very good this year!

Mattyukaholic
12-16-2015, 10:08 PM
Seeing as you're generously buying the whole uke community very expensive dream ukes for Christmas Lenny I'd like to put myself down for a Kamaka HF-4D deluxe baritone. Only joking! ;)
If I could have any uke right now though, that would be the one. Or an Ohta San haha!
Matt
Ps. I already got my Christmas wish with a superb student!

Luke El U
12-17-2015, 12:37 AM

Well, I'll be waiting for my Beansprout tenor banjolele from Mya Moe for several more months, so a Rebel Alchemist would certainly make for a very merry Christmas right now. Alas, maybe next Christmas.

hollisdwyer
12-17-2015, 03:39 AM
I would be very grateful if my Beau Hannam tenor would be ready by Xmas but I know that it's scheduled for around my birthday in August. That's going to be a hell of a nice birthday present.

But come to think about it I would have loved either one of the Mya-Moe's that sold on the Marketplace a week or two ago.

Doc_J
12-17-2015, 04:48 PM
Just got word that my Koa Works custom tenor has been strung up and sounds just as the luthier had hoped.
It might make it by Christmas.

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/Koa%20Works%20Tenor/image%2012-17-1_zps8cjxsczf.jpeg
http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag56/Doc_Jenkins/Koa%20Works%20Tenor/image%2012-17-2_zpscod9b3oo.jpeg

DownUpDave
12-17-2015, 05:04 PM
Bless your heart Doc...........you showed up with some pictures. That's the spirit. That sure is lovely looking, you must have been a good boy this year for Santa to bring you such a nice present.

Ok I will play along. I just bought this today, Pono baritone, spruce and mahogany, having a Misi installed and shipping out to me on Saturday........it might make it in time

Doc_J
12-17-2015, 05:59 PM
Dave, You have no idea how good I was this year. :)

I sure hope Santa has some elves in Canadian Customs to help you get that Bari by Christmas.

ukuleleden
12-19-2015, 01:13 PM
I wanted a vintage Martin S-0 to join the several contemporary Martin's I recently ordered/acquired. I finally found a nice clean example from the early '60s. It should be here sometime next week. Martin UAS has it's grip on me something fierce lately.