PDA

View Full Version : Mgurure - this is not a typo!

Pete Howlett
12-14-2015, 01:03 PM
Just got 2 sticks of this South African hardwood commercially known as leadwood at a great price yielding fingerboards at $3.00 a pop with the bridge material free! Boy am I glad I am just about to buy the remaining nineteen, 20 year old sticks! It's one of the few woods that will not float and is a great substitute for ebony. Along with the 15 years in the UK African Khaya I have bought at $2 a neck blank for 2.5" square stock and the splash figure makore I invested in that was imported from Gabon in 1994 I have the ingredients for 120 'old stock' tenors that conform to my ideal - an instrument made of wood from one continent. The carbon footprint of this stuff has long faded and I can't wait to start putting these particular woods together.

My spruce top tenors marry mainland US tonewoods - myrtle and walnut with Englemann spruce while for the UK I have to look to Europe for Alpine spruce to marry with my English walnut and cherry.

I have at last a stock of instruments that speak to my evolving design ethic of combining woods from a single continent (or region = Europe). I'll post some stuff when it comes off the bench to give you an idea of how I have evolved from a koa fascist to a poly-wood-glot :)

And just so you know - despite the importance I place on tradition and its formative place in craft development, I do look forward most of the time... this month sees my first standard instrument - shallower body Californian style (makore back and side, spruce front) tenor with a side port. Yes, you read it first here: A SIDE PORT!!!:shaka:

sequoia
12-14-2015, 03:55 PM
I'm not really familiar with this wood so I went looking. From what little I can find (and it wasn't much), it certainly seems interesting: Combretum schumanii, Janka hardness over 3,000+, eats tools, beautiful figure with interesting sapwood. Comes out of Kenya and Tanzania. That was about all I could find. Should make some fantastic looking ukuleles.

Other than having a shallower body (~2.5"?), being made of makore and spruce, is there any other style/spec that makes it a "California Style" tenor uke? Being a Californian, I was just curious.