PDA

View Full Version : NUD Douglas Fir Webber Baritone

JonThysell
12-15-2015, 07:37 AM
Went up to Vancouver for a weekend getaway, decided to stop by Blue Dog Guitars to try out their selection of David Webber ukuleles.

After an hour or so, I took advantage of the exchange rate and left with this blonde beauty:

86449 86450 86451 86452 86453

Solid Douglas fir (seriously) with a maple neck and curly maple bindings. 19.75" scale (so closer to my 19" preference than most baris) with a radius fretboard and custom bridge pins.

Sounds wonderful, very rich. Put on Worth brown bari strings but tuned high-d dGBE - I sold off all my ukes that use that tuning and was really missing it.

The neck is a little thicker than I usually like, and it has a fret marker on the ninth fret instead of the tenth, but I can fix that.

Now I have two nice baris as my primary players!

Nickie
12-15-2015, 09:28 AM
Congratulations, that's a very pretty uke. Love the blonde, being one myself....

Patrick Madsen
12-15-2015, 09:30 AM
Good looking Webber baritone Jon. Too bad you didn't stop by his shop not too far away from Blue Dog; David is a really nice guy.

I have the first bari. he made. His wife wanted a baritone uke so he decided to make 5 of them. Mine is the first of the 5. He didn't make any for years until the uke got more popular. I remember asking him if he was going to make a tenor. At the time, he didn't have any intentions of making anymore ukes. Since then he's changed his mind it looks like.

Mine is koa with a sopruce top with SC HL-SW strings. Probably one of the cleanest and lightest ukes I've had. At the time I wasn't too thrilled about it so put it away in the closet as I had bought a '62 Martin bari. Months later I almost sold it. The guy backed out of the deal so I thought I'd give it another try. The Martin is now in the closet with the Webber being my favorite bari now. It has such a unique sound which I'm sure you're finding out with yours.

I'm seriously considering selling the Martin,flawless condition, and getting David to make me a tenor guitar next. Congrats on the great deal again. I may have to run up to North Van and take advantage of the exchange rate.

wayfarer75
12-15-2015, 10:19 AM
Nice baritones! Very classy.

Camsuke
12-15-2015, 10:20 AM
Congratulations Jon, very nice instrument.

CdnSouthpaw
12-15-2015, 02:46 PM
Beautiful baritone. I've never played one of his ukes but I've played a number of David's guitars and they're top notch.

If I didn't already have my tenor base covered, that cedar/EIR tenor at Bluedog of his would be mine.

Congrats!

DownUpDave
12-15-2015, 03:02 PM
Congratulations Jon, that is a very unique instrument. I love the all blonde look and the curly maple trim with dark purfing looks really sharp. I own a Webber tenor that I just love. Bluedog guitars in Vancouver must have been a very cool place to visit. Their youtube channel is a great place to spend time just listening to piles of high end guitars

M3Ukulele
12-15-2015, 03:39 PM
HI Jon,
I've saw that ukulele on a few visits to Blue Dog. I also played two of David's tenors and they are very nice with 13 fret neck. Very well make and finished ukuleles. I would have bought one but I need dots on the fretboard to know where I'm playing! <g> Both in stock at the time were like your Bari. I definitely would consider getting a customer done with Webber.

Congratulations..... and enjoy!

JonThysell
12-15-2015, 07:22 PM
Beautiful baritone. I've never played one of his ukes but I've played a number of David's guitars and they're top notch.

If I didn't already have my tenor base covered, that cedar/EIR tenor at Bluedog of his would be mine.

Congrats!

I tried all of his ukes they had in stock, and in the end it was between the bari and that cedar/rosewood tenor. It is one of the most gorgeous tenors I've ever seen, but tenor is my least favorite scale length to play, and I wanted something I was confident would sound good dGBE. The bridge on the tenor had little holes to thread the strings through that I'd probably have had to modify.

Also, IMHO it's easy to find great, beautiful tenors, and there are plenty of brands with plenty of style options that I trust to buy sight-unseen. But the options for beautiful high-end baris skews more toward customs made by guitar luthiers branching out, so I want to try them in person. And finding a custom bari that skewed toward a 19" scale rather than a 20.25" scale that I got to test in person - I just couldn't pass it up!