Thicker string recommendations?

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I've gone through tons of strings trying to find the right ones for my ukulele. So far, it seems I definitely prefer the thicker nylon/nylgut styles found on the D'addario J71 and the Aquila all nylgut. I tried using the Fremont, and the Worth browns, and the Ko'olau golds but just didn't like the thinner fluorocarbon style. A couple of them broke on me, and I couldn't get used to the feel. Plus, twice my bridge pins and bridge slots didn't hold the skinny strings in and they snapped out of place (one time slicing my finger in the process) - probably my fault for not tying a larger knot though...

I love the D'addarios and for a High G set, I'm very happy with them. But they don't have the low g, and Aquila uses a wound, which I don't want to use. So when I switch over to low g, I'm at a loss for where to go.

Are there any non-fluorocarbon, non wound low g string sets out there?

You might want to check out Guadalupe Custom Strings. They make ukulele strings that have a fiber core wrapped in nylon.

I put some on my Jenny and they have a beautiful sound, almost harp-like.

Why don't you want a wound string?

IMHO, D'Addario's J4804 matches perfectly with the T46 Titanium Trebles. Very transparent transition between strings, audibly, not literally.

Of course, if I recall correctly, Deach matches them to his Savarez (like Laron), which I may try - the Savarez 4th strings are like the J4604, and have a lot of power.

-Aaron

Why don't you want a wound string?

IMHO, D'Addario's J4804 matches perfectly with the T46 Titanium Trebles. Very transparent transition between strings, audibly, not literally.

Of course, if I recall correctly, Deach matches them to his Savarez (like Laron), which I may try - the Savarez 4th strings are like the J4604, and have a lot of power.

-Aaron

I can't find J4804's any more but yeah, I match them with Savarez and the Titaniums.

I can't find J4804's any more but yeah, I match them with Savarez and the Titaniums.

From Laron as well:
http://www.stringsbymail.com/sublis...dSer=Pro+Art%E9+Gold+%2D+80%2F20+Bronze+Wound

I'm still waiting for MGM to start his D'Addario distributorship, which he has already. I'll just order from him. I asked him to bring in the T46's and the J4804's - that just a winner combination for me. He could just repackage them into his own (not that D'Addario would allow that) and call his composite string low G set.

BTW - I'm sending a Quilted Maple Tenor to Kapa`a at the end of this month (hopefully) that'll have the Titaniums on. Should be in good company up there.

-Aaron

Top Bottom