What made you sell it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLM3121

Reaction score
I see a lot of really nice ukes for sale in the marketplace forum. It made me wonder why they no longer held that special place in the owner's heart?

I own a Collings that I really like and wouldn't think of parting with it. I also must note that it is the only ukulele I own.

I'm just courious what made these special ukes not so special.-Ray

I see a lot of really nice ukes for sale in the marketplace forum. It made me wonder why they no longer held that special place in the owner's heart?

I own a Collings that I really like and wouldn't think of parting with it. I also must note that it is the only ukulele I own.

I'm just courious what made these special ukes not so special.-Ray

First, I have two Collings and believe that some of them are among the best values out there.

Directly to your question, I went through a period where I wanted to experience many different ukes on one hand, and on the other, agreed (at that time) with my wife since I was consulting (not working regularly) that I would limit my ukes to two (then). So, I rotated through ukes very quickly to experience many. I absolutely regret some of those that I sold, but I love the variety and learning from this experience. I've owned over three dozen ukes in my 2.33 years of "ukiness".

I am now gainfully employed and own, uh, more than two. With another Kinnard and a Beau Hannam in process.

Realized I have too many in that some aren't being played. To make the thinning less stressful I set a criteria that they should be about as old as I am (72)

... I've owned over three dozen ukes in my 2.33 years of "ukiness"....

That's a hell of a rate of churn. I'm impressed!

I've have the same rational as you for buying and selling ukes. It's a wonderful journey. I also regret selling some of the ukes I've owned but it's all part of the learning experience.

You have some nice ukes and a very understanding wife!

My first ukulele was a KoAloha soprano. Pretty nice for a first uke. But after I got a tenor I never played it and I never really got attached to it. I sold it and bought a second tenor. I haven't sold any ukuleles since.

John

You have some nice ukes and a very understanding wife!

If you are talking to me, yes, I do have a very understanding wife but everything has its limits. I'll be retiring next year and we will probably move to an apartment so 'downsizing' is the word of the year for us from now on.

I own a Collings that I really like and wouldn't think of parting with it.

If you're only going to have the one that's a nice one to have. I'm still in the acquisition phase and haven't sold any, but I'm happy with what I have for now.
Of course if it suddenly rained gold bars...

Lots of good reasons to sell great instruments. While Collings ukes are great, other ukes can be preferred over them. For me a Kinnard replaced the spot my Collings had. My Moore Bettah caused me to sell my koa Ko'olau and koa Kanile'a. I'm not trying to be snobby. I swear I could have been happy with any of these as my primary instrument. But I can hear and feel the differences, and made decisions to sell based on those.

I've had other reasons to sell great ukes, the sound of one string (regardless of the actual string type on it) wasn't what I wanted to hear. I sold a Kamaka concert because the A-string never sounded quite right to me at the second fret. Sometimes a G-string can be over-powering.

Sometimes, it's playability (a neck can be too thin or too thick). If it doesn't feel right, I won't keep it. I sold great ukes because of string spacing (too wide or too narrow) and fretboard height. The small things that can bother a person are numerous.

Another factor is just trying out and learning about new ukes.

Last edited:
At the risk of speaking out of turn, and getting the ire of a number of people, this thread has gotten way too expensive for me. If fact in a lot if ways, this forum has gotten to become an exercise in name dropping at a private club.

There are a lot of people who can only afford what they have and are saving to find a better instrument and it has to be disheartening when they read such cavalier comments about discarding excellent instruments like yesterday's garbage.

Sorry for offending people.

John

At the risk of speaking out of turn, and getting the ire of a number of people, this thread has gotten way too expensive for me. If fact in a lot if ways, this forum has gotten to become an exercise in name dropping at a private club.

There are a lot of people who can only afford what they have and are saving to find a better instrument and it has to be disheartening when they read such cavalier comments about discarding excellent instruments like yesterday's garbage.

John

John,

I appreciate your thoughts. When expensive ukes are mentioned, please don't feel it's name-dropping or to make anyone feel bad. When I make a comment about an instrument, I give my honest opinions (I, for one, am not cavalier). The top uke makers have worked hard to make wonderful instruments. They should be applauded for striving always to excel. Irrespective to sound and feel, a custom instrument is also very personal and a connection between the builder and the player. Custom ukes are exactly why many folks may sell wonderful production instruments, such as a Collings or Kamaka.

I was caught up in UAS for the first year of playing ukulele and accumulated 16, mostly below $200. I sold some because they were too similar to the others, or they just didn't sound as good. I held on to 8 for a few months, then decided I would only keep the ones I really liked and sounded the best, so I now have 4 and so far after almost a year, it's stayed that way, BUT, in the last year I started playing bass uke, and of course, I'm up to 8 now, but so far because they're all different enough, I don't intend to sell any.

Last edited:

John

I've NEVER heard anyone put down somebody's uke on this forum, regardless of price. So, similarly, one shouldn't be offended because some others choose to spend serious (relatively) on ukes. It doesn't matter what one spends, it only matters how much they love their uke. I love my Larrivee as much (and more, in some cases) as my more expensive instruments. It's a phenomenal value. And while still out of many people's financial reach at about $900, it's relatively achievable by many people.

I sell mainly because there's no emotional attachment.
Or for whatever reason, it didn't float my boat.
I sold a KoAloha, but for some reason I can't get rid of a Kala, my first 'good' instrument, even though I hardly play it now.
I think I'm more careful or selective on what I'm purchasing so I start off sort of 'attached' to what I buy and earlier acquisitions mean less to me.

I have held on to most of mine, the herd is growing so I might sell off a few. I have been playing about 1-1/2 years and it has been a big learning curve as to the sound I like and more importantly the dimesion that work for me. My third uke was a Pete Howlet custom koa tenor I bought used. Lovely instrument but with a slim neck, found out I don't like slim necks. I sold a gorgeous Koaloha KCM-00 because concert size was really not my favorite and a friend absolutely covetted that uke. He is very happy with it and I am glad he has it.

Remember when you sell a uke that is not right for you it might just be the buyers holy grail. Win win :shaka:

John

I think it is interesting how much some people will pay for something that may play a little bit better than the run of the mill ukes.

Maybe we should start a thread for cheap uke players. :music:

I think it is interesting how much some people will pay for something that may play a little bit better than the run of the mill ukes.

Maybe we should start a thread for cheap uke players. :music:

Do a search.......that has already been done.......a number of times. All ukes are good ukes as long as you like them no matter their cost.

I saw a great ukulele ad a while a go. The seller presented the situation as sadly dysfunctional personal relationship where interest in the uke on sale was displaced by a new acquaintance. A classic "break up" story.

I wonder if we tend to hang onto the instruments that we have commissioned more than the customs we have purchased 2nd hand? Having more 'skin in the game' with the ones commissioned might make them more of a keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom