PDA

View Full Version : NUD, Christmas Ohta San!

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 08:59 AM
A few months ago I was considering selling a few major organs and splashing out on a concert sized K brand. Just as I was thinking these dangerous thoughts Southern Ukulele Store ran a prize draw for 30% off a Kamaka, so I entered, and I won :D

Anyway, long story short, I decided I might as well take full advantage of the opportunity, and I asked them to order an Ohta San for me. I wanted a low G uke, with a very different sound from my Martin Style 1, and I hoped it would fit the bill.

It arrived yesterday, and it is fabulous! Beautifully built, perfect intonation, and the sound is amazing. I really wanted to like the Kamaka stock strings, because I don't particularly enjoy faffing around to find the perfect string set, but I couldn't stand them (mainly the feel of them). So I've ordered a set of Pro Arte Carbons and a Fremont Squeakless low G from SUS, and stuck some Martin M600s on it in the meantime.

This isn't really a review, just a "OHMYGODILOVETHISUKE" kind of a thing, if I get a chance in the next few days I'll record a sound sample. In the meantime, here's a photo of it with what remains of my collection of Burmese puppets (I had to sell the rest to pay for it!). I love the strip of sapwood running down the centre :)

Oh. The picture is the wrong way up of course, apparently that's all I can ever achieve.

NYDCLA
12-18-2015, 09:15 AM
Congrats! Such a beautiful instrument. Merry Christmas.

PhilUSAFRet
12-18-2015, 09:19 AM
Was just coveting one of those the other day. Congrats.

Ukulele Eddie
12-18-2015, 09:40 AM
Congratulations. Make sure those dolls don't retaliate since it displaced some of their family.

DownUpDave
12-18-2015, 09:46 AM
OH MY GOOD GRAVY.........that is drop dead gorgeous. That is worth a kidney and a spleen at least :drool:

Congratulation Victoria you deserve because I know you will be making some beautiful music with that hunk of koa goodness. Well done.

You go girl :smileybounce:

stevejfc
12-18-2015, 09:52 AM
Gee, it's a beauty! Congrats, and welcome to the Ohta-San family

turtledrum
12-18-2015, 11:20 AM
BB, cheers! Just gorgeous. Hope you like the new strings!

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 11:27 AM
Congrats! Such a beautiful instrument. Merry Christmas.

Thank you, and a very merry Christmas to you, too!

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 11:29 AM
Was just coveting one of those the other day. Congrats.

Thank you, Phil, I can definitely recommend them :)

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 11:31 AM
Congratulations. Make sure those dolls don't retaliate since it displaced some of their family.

Thanks, Eddie. So far they're behaving quite well, although I have had to ask them to lay off the Formby for a while.

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 11:34 AM
OH MY GOOD GRAVY.........that is drop dead gorgeous. That is worth a kidney and a spleen at least :drool:

Congratulation Victoria you deserve because I know you will be making some beautiful music with that hunk of koa goodness. Well done.

You go girl :smileybounce:

Thanks so much for all your help and encouragement, Dave :) It was worth a liver too, right? Please tell me it was worth a liver...

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 11:35 AM
Gee, it's a beauty! Congrats, and welcome to the Ohta-San family

Thank you! Nice family to be in :)

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 11:38 AM
BB, cheers! Just gorgeous. Hope you like the new strings!

Thanks, Turtle :) I'm really looking forward to trying the new strings, particularly the Fremont low G, but in the meantime, the Martins sound fab!

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 11:40 AM
I think I need to work out how to post several quotes in one reply!

ukuleleden
12-18-2015, 11:42 AM
Looks spectacular! Wishing you many years of enjoyment with it!

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 11:54 AM
Looks spectacular! Wishing you many years of enjoyment with it!

Thank you, Den, I think it's going to take many years just to get my playing to a level that justifies it!

Camsuke
12-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Congratulations dear lady! What a stunning ukulele, enjoy!

DownUpDave
12-18-2015, 12:09 PM
It is worth a liver and a lung...........at least I keep telling myself that.

Katz-in-Boots
12-18-2015, 02:53 PM
That is a really stunning one, congratulations! (now suffers seller's remorse for selling her cedar top Ohta-San)
Enjoy!

sam13
12-18-2015, 03:04 PM
Congratulations. What fabulous fortune. May this holiday be full of hours of Ukulele playing.

Doc_J
12-18-2015, 03:17 PM
That might be the best looking Ohta-san Kamaka out there, especially with that great sap wood center.
Congrats !

Nickie
12-18-2015, 03:28 PM
Wow! What a beauty! Congratulations, you did good! I love the Ohta-San, that would be my choice in a Kamaka!

brimmer
12-18-2015, 03:36 PM
I agree with the previous poster, the Ohta-san would my choice in a Kamaka too. Looks beautiful, & deserves to be played daily. Enjoy!

pritch
12-18-2015, 03:56 PM
Thank you, Den, I think it's going to take many years just to get my playing to a level that justifies it!

Ah yes but it makes practice a particular pleasure :)

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Congratulations dear lady! What a stunning ukulele, enjoy!

Thank you very much, Campbell :)

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 09:03 PM
It is worth a liver and a lung...........at least I keep telling myself that.

Phew!! *wheezes*

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 09:08 PM
That is a really stunning one, congratulations! (now suffers seller's remorse for selling her cedar top Ohta-San)
Enjoy!

Thank you, Katz :) i must admit I spent much of the last 3 months wondering whether should have ordered the cedar top!

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 09:09 PM
Congratulations. What fabulous fortune. May this holiday be full of hours of Ukulele playing.

Thank you very much, Sam. I think it will be :)

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 09:12 PM
That might be the best looking Ohta-san Kamaka out there, especially with that great sap wood center.
Congrats !

Thanks Doc, I think the sapwood is the icing on the cake :)

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Wow! What a beauty! Congratulations, you did good! I love the Ohta-San, that would be my choice in a Kamaka!

Thank you, Nickie :D I'd never even seen one in the flesh, let alone played one, but it really has exceeded all my expectations.

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 09:16 PM
I agree with the previous poster, the Ohta-san would my choice in a Kamaka too. Looks beautiful, & deserves to be played daily. Enjoy!

Thanks, Brimmer, and I definitely intend to play the cr*p out of it!

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 09:18 PM
Ah yes but it makes practice a particular pleasure :)

So true! in fact I'm pretty sure I've already improved immensely... ;)

natchez
12-18-2015, 09:21 PM
Wow- what a lovely wood pattern. Enjoy your new ukulele, and have a wonderful holiday season!

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 09:32 PM
Wow- what a lovely wood pattern. Enjoy your new ukulele, and have a wonderful holiday season!

Thank you very much, and happy holidays to you, too!

Rakelele
12-18-2015, 09:38 PM
Wow, Christmas came early for you this year! Congratulations, this might be the nicest Kamaka that I've seen to date. That stripe of sapwood looks very sharp. Enjoy your new treasure!

TheBathBird
12-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Wow, Christmas came early for you this year! Congratulations, this might be the nicest Kamaka that I've seen to date. That stripe of sapwood looks very sharp. Enjoy your new treasure!

Thank you! Yes, it's already the Best. Christmas. Ever. The kids are going to have to fill their own stockings, Santa's too busy playing her uke ;)

bird's eye view of my ukelele
12-18-2015, 11:06 PM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/lyndabeth/bathbirds%20new%20uke_zpsp3gwtipz.png

happy new-uke-mas!!!!!!!!

:music: :rock:

I think I need to work out how to post several quotes in one reply!
you know where you click on reply with quote? you can click reply, or reply with quote, or a third option is there with a little +

if you click the + button, that post gets added to a list of posts to quote, and then when you click reply, you should have all the posts you clicked + on, showing in your reply post

i hope that makes sense, and helps!

ukuleleden
12-19-2015, 12:27 AM

You're quite welcomed! All the motivation you need is in the look sound and feel of your nice new uke to keep playing it a bit better each day!

dkcrown
12-19-2015, 01:05 AM
Congrats !

I would agree Hodge. I am a sucker for sap wood skunk stripes! But Doreen's (Guitharsis) Ohta San is pretty spectacular as well!

Congrats Victoria on a very special Kamaka. Here's hoping you enjoy it for many more Christmas to come.

TheBathBird
12-19-2015, 07:06 AM
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d159/lyndabeth/bathbirds%20new%20uke_zpsp3gwtipz.png

happy new-uke-mas!!!!!!!!

:music: :rock:

you know where you click on reply with quote? you can click reply, or reply with quote, or a third option is there with a little +

if you click the + button, that post gets added to a list of posts to quote, and then when you click reply, you should have all the posts you clicked + on, showing in your reply post

i hope that makes sense, and helps!

Yes, it makes perfect sense, thank you!!

Oh Victoria.
What a gorgeous instrument.
Those dolls equally so.
Big congratulations mate.
Love and peace to you and your family over this next weeks for Christmas and New year.
Can't wait to hear what you'll do with that beautiful ukulele.
xo jon

Thanks so much, Jon. It's such a joy to play, I already feel like I've been playing it for years!
Merry Christmas to you, too, and I hope 2016 is filled with happy times x

You're quite welcomed! All the motivation you need is in the look sound and feel of your nice new uke to keep playing it a bit better each day!

Well I'm definitely putting in the hours!

I would agree Hodge. I am a sucker for sap wood skunk stripes! But Doreen's (Guitharsis) Ohta San is pretty spectacular as well!

Congrats Victoria on a very special Kamaka. Here's hoping you enjoy it for many more Christmas to come.

Thank you very much :) I haven't seen Doreen's Ohta San, I'd love to see it!

ALing
12-20-2015, 11:07 AM
As others have said, a lovely Ohta-san. I look forward to hearing sound samples comparing the original strings to the new strings that you have ordered.

mm stan
12-20-2015, 01:47 PM
Congratulations and happy strummings :)

TheBathBird
12-21-2015, 01:29 AM
As others have said, a lovely Ohta-san. I look forward to hearing sound samples comparing the original strings to the new strings that you have ordered.

Thank you :) I'll try to escape the insanity of the Christmas period for long enough to record a little vid!

TheBathBird
12-21-2015, 01:30 AM
Congratulations and happy strummings :)

Thank you very much, Mr Stan :)

wayfarer75
12-21-2015, 02:26 AM
So nice! I hope you enjoy the Ohta-San for many years!

guitharsis
12-21-2015, 02:41 AM
Congrats on a gorgeous Ohta-san!

Thank you dkcrown. Yes, mine is spectacular as well.

Love the Ohta-san sound, the body shape etc. The perfect size between a concert and a tenor. Great for fingerpicking.

Hope you enjoy yours for years to come TheBathBird.

Fleacia
12-21-2015, 09:37 AM
Congratulations! I love the uke I have! And I appreciate the Ohta San - maybe one day... But even if I never own or play one, I like that uke somehow. Enjoy! :D

YorkSteve
12-22-2015, 12:32 AM
Eeek! How did I miss that SUS 30% off draw? Well done to you for grabbing it, and it looks as if you have made a stunning choice. Look forward to hearing it very soon.

TheBathBird
12-22-2015, 02:52 AM
So nice! I hope you enjoy the Ohta-San for many years!

Thank you very much!

TheBathBird
12-22-2015, 02:55 AM
Congrats on a gorgeous Ohta-san!

Thank you dkcrown. Yes, mine is spectacular as well.

Love the Ohta-san sound, the body shape etc. The perfect size between a concert and a tenor. Great for fingerpicking.

Hope you enjoy yours for years to come TheBathBird.

Thanks, Guitharsis!

Yes, I'm loving the size. I've always found tenors just a wee bit too big for my hands, but this is just right :)

TheBathBird
12-22-2015, 02:57 AM
Congratulations! I love the uke I have! And I appreciate the Ohta San - maybe one day... But even if I never own or play one, I like that uke somehow. Enjoy! :D

Thank you, Fleacia. I'd never seen an Ohta San in person, so it was a bit of a punt! But it has exceeded my expectations.

TheBathBird
12-22-2015, 02:59 AM
Eeek! How did I miss that SUS 30% off draw? Well done to you for grabbing it, and it looks as if you have made a stunning choice. Look forward to hearing it very soon.

Thanks Steve :) It was pure luck, I just noticed it when I was mooching around on the SUS Facebook page and got my entry in on the last day. Phew!

Ukejenny
12-22-2015, 09:03 AM
It sure is gorgeous! Wonderful choice!

tbeltrans
12-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Congratulations on the new Ohta-San! I have played a number of Kamakas of various sizes and ages, and I have to admit that the Ohta-San is BY FAR consistently the best of the lot. The Ohta-San is a keeper. Every once in a while, with musical instruments of all types, there is a design that just comes together and is right. That is the Ohta-San. If you ever sell it, you will suffer "seller's remorse". So, keep and enjoy your Ohta-San in good health and NEVER forget what you have there.

Edit: In the spirit of full transparency, I should mention that I also own an Ohta-San. I have three higher end ukuleles, a 1925 Martin 2k, and a custom Ko'olau in addition to my Ohta-San. Of the three, my favorite seems to be the Ohta-San, though all are a joy to play. The Ohta-San really is that good.

Tony

TheBathBird
12-22-2015, 08:16 PM
It sure is gorgeous! Wonderful choice!

Thank you, Jenny :)

TheBathBird
12-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Congratulations on the new Ohta-San! I have played a number of Kamakas of various sizes and ages, and I have to admit that the Ohta-San is BY FAR consistently the best of the lot. The Ohta-San is a keeper. Every once in a while, with musical instruments of all types, there is a design that just comes together and is right. That is the Ohta-San. If you ever sell it, you will suffer "seller's remorse". So, keep and enjoy your Ohta-San in good health and NEVER forget what you have there.

Edit: In the spirit of full transparency, I should mention that I also own an Ohta-San. I have three higher end ukuleles, a 1925 Martin 2k, and a custom Ko'olau in addition to my Ohta-San. Of the three, my favorite seems to be the Ohta-San, though all are a joy to play. The Ohta-San really is that good.

Tony

Thank you very much, tbeltrans! And thanks for sharing your Ohta San experience. It really has exceeded my expectations, and the size is just perfect for me. My main player until now has been a 50s Martin Style 1, I love the fact that the Kamaka has a completely different sound, between the two of them I feel like I've pretty much got my uke needs covered :)