NUD, Christmas Ohta San!

TBB

TheBathBird
UU VIP
Reaction score
A few months ago I was considering selling a few major organs and splashing out on a concert sized K brand. Just as I was thinking these dangerous thoughts Southern Ukulele Store ran a prize draw for 30% off a Kamaka, so I entered, and I won :D

Anyway, long story short, I decided I might as well take full advantage of the opportunity, and I asked them to order an Ohta San for me. I wanted a low G uke, with a very different sound from my Martin Style 1, and I hoped it would fit the bill.

It arrived yesterday, and it is fabulous! Beautifully built, perfect intonation, and the sound is amazing. I really wanted to like the Kamaka stock strings, because I don't particularly enjoy faffing around to find the perfect string set, but I couldn't stand them (mainly the feel of them). So I've ordered a set of Pro Arte Carbons and a Fremont Squeakless low G from SUS, and stuck some Martin M600s on it in the meantime.

This isn't really a review, just a "OHMYGODILOVETHISUKE" kind of a thing, if I get a chance in the next few days I'll record a sound sample. In the meantime, here's a photo of it with what remains of my collection of Burmese puppets (I had to sell the rest to pay for it!). I love the strip of sapwood running down the centre :)

Oh. The picture is the wrong way up of course, apparently that's all I can ever achieve.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats! Such a beautiful instrument. Merry Christmas.

Was just coveting one of those the other day. Congrats.

Congratulations. Make sure those dolls don't retaliate since it displaced some of their family.

OH MY GOOD GRAVY.........that is drop dead gorgeous. That is worth a kidney and a spleen at least :drool:

Congratulation Victoria you deserve because I know you will be making some beautiful music with that hunk of koa goodness. Well done.

You go girl :smileybounce:

Congratulations. Make sure those dolls don't retaliate since it displaced some of their family.

Thanks, Eddie. So far they're behaving quite well, although I have had to ask them to lay off the Formby for a while.

OH MY GOOD GRAVY.........that is drop dead gorgeous. That is worth a kidney and a spleen at least :drool:

Congratulation Victoria you deserve because I know you will be making some beautiful music with that hunk of koa goodness. Well done.

You go girl :smileybounce:

Thanks so much for all your help and encouragement, Dave :) It was worth a liver too, right? Please tell me it was worth a liver...

BB, cheers! Just gorgeous. Hope you like the new strings!

Thanks, Turtle :) I'm really looking forward to trying the new strings, particularly the Fremont low G, but in the meantime, the Martins sound fab!

I think I need to work out how to post several quotes in one reply!

Looks spectacular! Wishing you many years of enjoyment with it!

That is a really stunning one, congratulations! (now suffers seller's remorse for selling her cedar top Ohta-San)
Enjoy!

Congratulations. What fabulous fortune. May this holiday be full of hours of Ukulele playing.

Top Bottom