Uas

philrab66

Reaction score
Hi all
I have come to the conclusion that UAS is just a natural progression as you out grow your uke and you just feel the need for something better to match your abilities. Well this is what I am having to say to my wife to get a new one she just does not understand;)
Anyway this is definitely what I have found you get a new uke and it sounds wonderful. You start moving up the fret board and that wonderful sounding uke is not that good after all (start looking for another one) and the journey begins again.
I have always played a concert but keep thinking about getting a soprano. I have a big birthday coming up next year so I am starting to look for my next one around £500- $750.
Any personal recommendations, I am not a strummer, mainly finger picking.

Runners at the moment in the soprano vintage Martin and like the sound of Ken Timms.

Thanks Phil.

Your budget allows for a decent amount of choices from multiple manufacturers. I'd recommend searching the reviews and make list of specs that you feel you would prefer such as a thicker or thinner neck, number of frets, preferred woods, etc... Once you set those priorities you can start your list and narrow it down from there. Sounds like you'll have a very happy birthday!

I like GAS (gear acquisition syndrome). In the first year of playing uke (6/2013) I went through 16, then slimmed down to my favorite 4. Now I'm playing bass uke and I'm up to 8 (including 4 mini electric bass guitars not shown in my signature). I'm having a good time.

I, too, am mainly a finger picker (which I always think sounds a bit like a nervous habit). I've got a 1950's Martin Style 1, and it's wonderful. Really bell-like tones, and not 'plinky' at all, even quite high up the neck.

Having said that, I get the impression that the Timms are up there with the Martins, so you probably can't go too far wrong with either.

It's not easy here in the UK, because it's so hard to get a chance to play one before buying - let alone several!

Top Bottom