Can tell which sound sample belongs to which of these two vintage baris?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Thought I'd post a fun hearing test. I've got 2 vintage (50s-60s) baritones, a Silvertone (made by Harmony for Sears) and a Favilla. I'm not sure what strings are on them, but from the looks Aquila and Martin. I won't say which set is on which one.

Can you tell which sound sample belongs to each one?
Do prefer one over the other?

Here are two recordings:

Sample Bari 1 : https://app.box.com/s/zb2nho96fc71avmkwgbvoi8x001gizkg

Sample Bari 2 : https://app.box.com/s/zl3qt3d5479md20b7mwvm1h8vy3qdj5p

Here's a picture of the two. (Don't look at the strings to help with the test.) :)

P1070590_zps4ydqqfmq.jpg

I'm guessing that #1 is the Favilla and #2 the Silvertone. #1 has a fuller tone with deeper base. #2 has a thinner tinny tone, kinda like the Silvertone guitar I had as a kid amillion years ago. I've never played a Favilla or a Silvertone Bari...........so just a guess from what I've read about Favillas.
By the way, nice playing Doc!

First off, thank you for taking the time to do this. I know it takes time and effort to put this up. I enjoy these type of threads.

I liked both ukes for different reasons. Vintage 1 is my favorite. I'm not sure which one it is but I would choose it, even if it was the Silvertone and not the Favilla. When vintage 1 is strummed it sounds like it has more dynamics in the higher range tones. The vintage 2 has a nice midrange and may work better in some forms of music.

They both have a nice sound. I just prefer Vintage 1 but could see how someone would like Vintage 2 .

Fun stuff. I think Favilla is #1; has a deeper tone to my ear.

Both sounded nice for different reasons. I liked the sound of #1 better, more note seperation and a more complex sound. Baritones can sometimes be too muddy sounding when strummed but both had a good clear sound, #1 was just better.

I have no idea which one is which. Pride would make me say Favilla is #1 but I really dont have a clue. I love these tests. Like great tenors with a spruce top and a cedar top and most of us cannot guess correctly. We buy with our eyes alot of the time.

By the way Hodge what do you have them tuned to.

Thanks a ton for doing this. I like the tone and general sound of number one better. To be honest I have no idea which one is which. #1 has a richer, fuller sound. I haven't heard enough favillas or silvertones in person to try to pick which is which.

Thanks again.

Dave, I've got both of them tuned DGBE. I think they sound very similar.

Dave, I've got both of them tuned DGBE. I think they sound very similar.

I agree that they are very close. It could be my personal preference for tenor uke that makes me like vintage 1 .

They are very close but it's the strumming that pushes vintage 1 for me.

OK, here are my guesses.
Favilla is uke #1
Silvertone is uke #2

As others have said, I like #1 the best.

PM which is which. Please!
I want to know if I was right.

Thanks,
Johnson

ps: You sound great on both of them. Nice picking and strumming.
What mic are you using?

OK, here are my guesses.
Favilla is uke #1
Silvertone is uke #2

As others have said, I like #1 the best.

PM which is which. Please!
I want to know if I was right.

Thanks,
Johnson

ps: You sound great on both of them. Nice picking and strumming.
What mic are you using?

Thanks. I'm using a Blue Yeti USB mic in mono Cartoid mode with Audacity.
Sent you a pm about which one is which.

Thanks. I'm using a Blue Yeti USB mic in mono Cartoid mode with Audacity.
Sent you a pm about which one is which.

Hodge,
Awesome.
I have the Blue Yeti and use Audacity as well.
Mono? I didn't think about that. I was using stereo cartoid mode.
Pardon my ignorance. Why use mono to record?

Johnson

PS: And thanks for the PM about my guesses. It is nice to have such friendly people in the forum. =)

I've had a Harmony Bari and a Favilla and I immediately thought #1 was the Favilla. It'll be funny if I'm wrong. Interesting thread. I liked the blind listen (didn't look at the ukes. I didn't want the strings to give me any clues). It's like watching The Voice and finding out the female singer you like is a dude.

Hodge,
Awesome.
I have the Blue Yeti and use Audacity as well.
Mono? I didn't think about that. I was using stereo cartoid mode.
Pardon my ignorance. Why use mono to record?

PS: And thanks for the PM about my guesses. It is nice to have such friendly people in the forum. =)

Yes, it was recorded in Mono instead of stereo.
It's funny, but Mono just seems to give a better sound sample to my ears than Stereo (I have no idea why).
(Side note on recording settings: Gain is just past mid-way on the mic and I use 256 kbps for the MP3.)

And you're welcome.

Don't read this post if you want to listen and decide which one is which.

Here's which one is which. Don't read this post if you want to try and figure out by listening.

Sample Bari 1 : https://app.box.com/s/zb2nho96fc71avmkwgbvoi8x001gizkg

Sample Bari 2 : https://app.box.com/s/zl3qt3d5479md20b7mwvm1h8vy3qdj5p

Sample Bari 1 is the vintage Silvertone with (?)Aquila strings.

Sample Bari 2 is the vintage Favilla with (?)Martin fluorocarbon strings.

I agee and was surprised at the Silvertone sound quality. It is very balanced across the frequencies, especially nice midrange.
The fluorocarbon Martin strings made the Favilla a bit brighter with good bass, but the mids were less noticeable.
Playability was better on the Silvertone, with a slimmer neck profile than the Favilla. But the action was better on the Favilla. The action on the Silvertone is a little high at the 12 fret and can't be adjusted much at the saddle without taking down the bridge height.

String differences also contributed to the sound differences. I can't say for sure that those are Aquila and Martins, but that is my best guess. Also don't know how long the strings have been on either, but they aren't discolored or worn (no fret indents on the string bottoms).

Silvertone/Harmony baritones seem under appreciated. And they are fairly low priced (in the $100-$200 range is common).

Hope you had some fun. Thanks.

Last edited:
Okay, I didn't read the other posts and I'm liking the sound of the second recording. Now I'm gonna go back and see what was said :) Interesting as I was the only one who like the second recording just a bit more. Had a warmer tone to my ears. If I see an old Bari that's a Favilla I'll know to grab it.

Last edited:
I did not guess since I've never played either instrument so wouldn't know one from the other. However I liked #1 better as well. We've had several discussions on ukes and you know I trust my ears the most...and then your opinion. :)

Another good sound sample Hodge!

Ha.......I love it. So glad that I made the disclaimer about liking the sound of one instrument but usually guessing wrong. Our ears tell the story but sometmes our eyes or our predetermined opinions get priority

Top Bottom