What can you tell me about this Pono...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
This instrument is for sale locally, looks like the label says PCM, if i google that, it comes up with a a mango uke. Is this a Pro-Classic? Or what? He's asking $250.00, it's been for sale for a while.

I'm only interested because it has a pickup...

ponopcm.jpgponopcm2.jpg

Yes, buy it.
I agree with Stan. Try for 200.
The straight grained mango is my favorite sounding mango. I have a straight grained Pono mango tenor.
They will have to pry that uke out of my cold dead hands!

These are great instruments and worth the price.
This must be an earlier version of the Pono MGC which goes for 319 at HMS today.
But the the CL ad appears to have a gloss finish. The fret board and bridge look like Rosewood.
Maybe a cross between a regular Pono and a Deluxe version.
Let us know what happens.

Last edited:
Seems to be an older model, definitely before 2011. Does the label say if it was made in Indonesia or China? Maybe just ask the folks at Pono. I'm curious now, too.

If it has a hard-shell case, with a decent working pick up, not really a bad deal at all at the $250, but near a steal at $200. If it does not have a good case, I would go with the $200 offer suggested above, and go to $225. Since you are in AZ take a good look at the neck and action. The concerts do not have the truss rods, so if the neck has moved you would be pretty much stuck with it as is, or pay a luthier. Check to make sure the pick-up is working well and has stayed fully attached inside, again you are in the same type of dry climate as we are in Nevada.

I think Pro Classics always have a separate PC in the model number. PCM I think is Pono Concert Mahogany. Pro Classic would be PCM-PC. Check to see if the fretboard for radius.

Yep, an older model mahogany. That rosette design has not been used for a while. The older Pono's do not have a radius end fretboard.

yeah, I saw that too, but it's pretty obvious it's not mango. Guess I need to go take a look see, it's not too far away.

Hi Danno.
Not trying to 'stir the poop' or 'get into your business' but why did say it is 'obviously not mango'?
It looks like one of the straightest grained mango I have seen.

My Pono mango is very straight grained on the top and bottom although it does show a bit of cross grain throughout.
I attached some photos of mine for reference.

If I an wrong about it being a mango then I will buy you a set of new strings and send them to you for free.
Your choice of string set. Deal?

Johnson =)

Attachments

• DSC_0517.jpg
    DSC_0517.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0518.jpg
    DSC_0518.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 35
The grain on wood can vary a lot. And then, add a bit of stain and I sometimes have a hard time telling what kind of wood I'm looking at. First glance I said "mahogany!" ... but, it may very well be very tight grained (and very nice looking!) mango. Looks like a sweet uke regardless, and possibly a sweet deal! Keep us posted!

Hi Danno.
Not trying to 'stir the poop' or 'get into your business' but why did say it is 'obviously not mango'?
It looks like one of the straightest grained mango I have seen.

My Pono mango is very straight grained on the top and bottom although it does show a bit of cross grain throughout.
I attached some photos of mine for reference.

If I an wrong about it being a mango then I will buy you a set of new strings and send them to you for free.
Your choice of string set. Deal?

Johnson =)

That is one sweet looking ukulele! Do you like the little string end holders?

That is one sweet looking ukulele! Do you like the little string end holders?

Thanks. I love my MGT. The mango produces a warm tone, is responsive and resonates like a dream.

I love the bridge beads. I change strings often and they make it much easier for me. Tthere is some discussion about a clean angle off the saddle. But I do not know the science behind these assertions.
I do think having the bridge beads on adds to the overall sound but that could all be in my head.
Also, there is less wear on the bridge tie area.

Look at my mango (I have had bridge beads on for most of the time I have owned it) and then look at the used Pono MTD I recently acquired.
The MTD shows wear on the bridge tie off area at the G,C and a little on the E string.(photo attached)
This uke is less than 2 years old; imagine what a few mores years of this type of wear will do to the bridge. I also believe the wound strings might cause more wear than non-wound strings.

As you can see, I have two types of bridge beads and I like them both. They are available on E bay or amazon. The diamond type give you 5 beads. But the type on my mango come in different colors and add a little bling, if you know what I mean. I think both are around 20USD including shipping to CONUS.

Attachments

• DSC_0521.jpg
    DSC_0521.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Aloha Guys! Just to try and clear things up, the model pictured is an older model concert Mahogany. It's one of the earlier Java-made models. Great sound. Cant really see the label clearly, but it may be a PCE which was a concert electric. Pono used to make them with the pick-up already installed. As far as I can tell from the picture, there is no tell-tale output jack though, so perhaps it is just the wrong label. Rare,but been known to happen...

Aloha Guys! Just to try and clear things up, the model pictured is an older model concert Mahogany. It's one of the earlier Java-made models. Great sound. Cant really see the label clearly, but it may be a PCE which was a concert electric. Pono used to make them with the pick-up already installed. As far as I can tell from the picture, there is no tell-tale output jack though, so perhaps it is just the wrong label. Rare,but been known to happen...

thanks, Aaron...makes sense to me, it is supposed to have a factory installed pick-up, I just misinterpreted the blurry label. Guess Johnson owes me set of Living Waters...;-D

I'm going to try and go check it out...

That's a sweet looking Pono. If she were for sale in my area, I may just spring on her ... and I'm not even "currently" shopping :). Ukerdanno ... buy it and then trade for the recording stuff I have in the Marketplace :) Seriously, if $200 will fetch it ... fetch it.

OK, I could see that happening.

Also, I do not see the output jack on this one either, as you mention.
Glad you chimed in, thanks for clarifying.

Top Bottom