PDA

View Full Version : leather string for strap

zztush
12-20-2015, 08:27 PM
Soprano is very light. I think all of the straps on the market are big and overkill. Most of them are more than 25mm width. I've tried to compare some strings for my soprano. Now I use 4mm leather string, which was only $1. I cut it in 130cm and tie it up to head stock and end pin. It works very good without any problem on my shoulder.

kypfer
12-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Very nice, very sensible :) I use lengths of the decorative cord used for curtain tie-backs or similar, same sort of price and similar functionality. Like yourself, I think a lot of the commercially available straps are overkill for a ukulele, and those that aren't are often too expensive ;)

Croaky Keith
12-20-2015, 11:24 PM
Boot laces - usually thicker than normal shoe laces & are longer. :)

(Supports a tenor no problem.)

phil hague
12-21-2015, 12:34 AM
Boot lace is a good solution. I find that the flat straps always get crossed on my back and it's very annoying. No such problem with a thin cord. Still prefer flat straps on the larger ukes though.

DownUpDave
12-21-2015, 12:40 AM
I use 1.2m fancy shoelaces. They come in many colours and patterns. There are things called "cordlocks" which are very useful at the headstock end of the strap if you use a shoelace or cord strap.

Hey Bill, if you look at the picture the OP supplied he has a cordlock at the halfway length area. I do the same as you with a cordlock at the headstock but I think I like the OP's idea even better.

I get my leather "boot lace" material in rolls from a craft store, economical and handy for cutting to the exact length you want.

zztush
12-21-2015, 12:52 AM
Hey Dave, I have seen your cord lock on the photo in your previous post. After that I've bought this cord lock in local out door store. :)

DownUpDave
12-21-2015, 01:00 AM
Hey Dave, I have seen your cord lock on the photo in your previous post. After that I've bought this cord lock in local out door store. :)

Excellent........isn't this internet thing a wonderful invention. We can share ideas from around the world. Good idea with the placement of your chord lock.

Rllink
12-21-2015, 04:43 AM
I always appreciate simplicity. Sometimes we just have to say that it just isn't that complicated to hang a ukulele around your neck. I like it.

actadh
12-21-2015, 05:19 AM
I find a 2" cotton guitar strap to be the most comfortable. Mine was about $12.

Down Up Dick
12-21-2015, 05:28 AM
I use fancy para-chord and chord locks (REI)on a coupla my Ukes too. Not good for banjos though. They're too heavy. :old:

Donalson
12-21-2015, 09:42 AM
not a bad idea... how are you attaching it at the bottom of the uke though?

I saw someone who was using a strap similar to this the other day 86667

(link from here)
http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/ukulele-sound-hole-hook-strap

and then saw a classical guitar player using something similar at a restaurant the other day... reminds me of a saxaphone strap.

I may have to rig something up like that from a camera strap or something like that... while the shoelace prob wouldn't be an issue I'm reminded of my dads old SLR (early 70's model nikon... solid metal etc) strap which was a smooth metal tube shape... I hated that strap as it put all the weight on such a small area... but it couldn't be cut which was apparently common back in the 70s by thieves)

Down Up Dick
12-21-2015, 09:51 AM
Oops! I forgot to say I used it on Banjoleles--sorry. :old:

JackLuis
12-22-2015, 09:43 AM
I found that Para chord can be fashioned into a couple of useful shapes and comes in colors so it's festive. I made a loop, tied it so it had a small loop on one end and looped it over a tuning peg, put it over my shoulder and the other end(s) tied so that it either is on the end peg or loops around the right shoulder and leaves the bottom loose. (someone makes a $10 strap like that.) That way you get head support and a free left hand but you have to support the body with your arm. Hardware stores sell it in 100 foot sections cheaply so you can experiment. It is light and by adjusting the knots you can adjust it easily as it doesn't make a hard knot.

zztush
12-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Hello, Jack!

I used to loops my chord around my right shoulder and leave the ukulele bottom loose too. I think it is enough to support ukulele head and it's advantage is that we don't need a end pin on the ukulele bottom. After I've installed end pin, I tie my chord to end pin though.

Phluffy the Destroyer
12-25-2015, 07:36 PM
I use Earnie Ball straps, even on my sopranos. Yes, it's overkill. On the other hand it looks more professional than a shoestring and is a lot more stable than most makeshift straps.

Cue the "I invented the most amazing strap EVER" crowd...

Rllink
12-26-2015, 05:40 AM
I use Earnie Ball straps, even on my sopranos. Yes, it's overkill. On the other hand it looks more professional than a shoestring and is a lot more stable than most makeshift straps.

Cue the "I invented the most amazing strap EVER" crowd...I have one of those that clips in the sound hole, but I don't like it much. But then I started using some hippie dippie strap that went to my wife's old guitar that she played in the eighties, but that one had brass rivets in it, and it kept scratching my uke. So then a guitar playing friend of mine gave me an Earnie Ball strap that he didn't want anymore. I really like it.

Booli
01-05-2016, 06:42 PM
I started with using some of my old guitar straps and they seemed to weigh as much as the uke itself save for my baritones.

I then bought a 25 ft length of paracord from a craft store to experiment with. I worked out well.

Later on while I was in the grocery store, I found some black, round, nylon shoe/boot laces in lengths of 33, 54 and 72 cm, and each pack was only $2. I bought 2 packs of the 72cm, each strap was more than long enough for a tenor, and would also be good for a baritone, but the 54cm would be good for a soprano or concert.

In the way that I use them, I tie one end around the headstock right behind the nut, and then thread the other end through a bead that has 2 holes to form a loop at that end (which will get cinched down over the endpin) and then with the slack, I tie a double slip-knot, very tight, and that allows me to adjust the length without extra hardware or buckles or even a cordlock.

I personally detest having hardware (metal, plastic or otherwise) on the strap that can knock into and ding the instrument, this way it is a simple nylon cord, easily replaceable, cheap, and when it wears out, you can get a replacement any where.

Next time I go to the grocery store, I plan to get more of these laces and beads to replace the straps on my other ukes, which were in fact made from some old 1" wide belts that I had (with all the metal hardware removed).

The shoelaces are simpler and I like simpler. I also find them to be comfortable and they do not cut into my neck or shoulders.