Three keyboard short cuts in order to make YouTube a great teacher

zztush

Reaction score
There are many nice ukulele tutorial videos in YouTube. But we can not follow them without good manage of videos when learning songs. There are three useful key board short cuts on YouTube.

View attachment 86661

1. Pause: Once we pause the videos on the control bar in YouTube, we can use enter key for pause and play.
  2. Repeat: Left arrow key plays back 12 sec.
  3. Jump: The number keys (0 to 9) jump to the locations of 0% to 90% on the videos.

YouTube is my great ukulele teacher with these keyboard short cuts. Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
Great info, thanks for sharing.

Funny as a power user of sorts I was at first impressed there were KB shortcuts I did not know would work with YouTube.

Well Win7 on Firefox with adblocker+ and noscript trying the above shortcuts gets me different results.

1. Hitting the enter button while a windowed video is playing does nothing. Clicking on the video will pause it. The enter button will pause a full screen video.

2. Hitting the left arrow gets me around 4 seconds of rewind. My left arrow is a very fast rewind key if I hold it the video snaps back to the beginning.

3. Works great but I cannot think of much use for it.

4. Videos can be slowed down to half or quarter speed. In full screen video hitting the < and > keys will slow down or speed up the video playback.

Then there is this: http://digiwonk.wonderhowto.com/how-to/30-keyboard-shortcuts-you-should-be-using-youtube-0161382/

:)

Last edited:
Hi, AL. Thanks for the link. There are many shortcut key which I did not know.

I also use Win7 on Firefox with adblocker+. I am afraid that control + left arrow doesn't go back to 10 sec on my machine, but "J" works.

Great info.

I have Win7 with Firefox and it works very similar to what yo said, except as Al pointed out the direction keys go forward and back about 6 sec. The Up and Down do nothing.

The direction keys on the number keypad work differently in 25% increments.

For example on Corey's Heart of Life, the Down Arrow (2) goes to :37, the Left Arrow (4) goes to 1:14, the Right Arrow (6) goes to 1:51 and the Up Arrow (8) goes to 2:29. The other number keys (3, 5, 7, 9) stop in between and the 1 doesn't do anything at all (like the one that mother gives you).

Very cool and a great help!

John

Last edited:
Top Bottom