Ono build in progress

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Revision......more picrures added in Posts #34 & 38

Revision #2 more pictures in post #72

I had contacted David Ingalls of Ono ukuleles in mid 2014 about commissioning a 16" concert ukulele. I wanted something different, hence the 16" scale length on a concert body. I was also very interested in some curly claro walnut if he had any.........boy did he ever. I was curious about a Port Orford cedar top as well but most I had seen were devoid of any visible grain and character. Dave showed me something very unique so I said lets do it.

DSCF0325.jpgDSCF0288.jpgDSCF0289.jpgDSCF0314.jpgDSCF0317 (1280x996).jpg

Last edited:
Next step is gluing on the kerfing. David uses very thin kerfing that he bends to shape instead of cutting slots in it like most do to allow it to bend.

DSCF0331.jpgDSCF0332.jpgDSCF0333.jpgDSCF0337.jpgDSCF0338.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good Dave!

Wow Dave, that is going to be one purrrrty instrument!

Woohoo! :nana: The process is almost funner than the product, isn't it?

DownUpDave - Can't wait until you get it! I'm really enjoying mine. It's very responsive and has excellent sustain.

Are you planning to set it up linear or re-entrant? I went with linear using the new Southcoast set with the single (4th) wound (squeekless) string. Based on input I gave Dirk for playing style (mostly fingerstyle/chord melody) and type (solo), Dirk suggested trying it tuned up half a step to a step. I've been experimenting a bit and so far prefer it either tuned up a half step or straight linear.

Thanks for the cool build pics. That thickness sander is a large piece of equipment. Wow.

Thanks for the cool build pics. That thickness sander is a large piece of equipment. Wow.

That monster does earn its keep. It has two drums that can be set individually for height. I keep 80 grit on the first and 120 on the second. It can sand with just one drum or with two in succession so that the first takes off material with a rough cut and the second puts a finer finish on the workpiece.

@Hollis, Thanks for the kind words I think the end product will be really special

@Kiwiohana, Ono ukuleles always sound great so I decided to go a bit flashy. Nothing wrong with good sounding and looking

@Camsuke, I really do love walnut and have bit of a history working with it. David's piece floored me so I had to have him build me something with it

@Jim Hanks, Just like you I really enjoy looking at build threads. Can't wait until we get to see your baritone taking shape.

@Eddie, Your Ono sounds fabulous, having it in a HMS video infused it with serious MOJO. I talked to Dirk about strings as well and we are going with ML-WB which are mediums with wound 3rd and 4th. Dirk said I could even go HML if I like more tension, keeping it in C tuning.

@Jon, Your walnut Ono inspired me to have one built. Your videos playing Onos and the fact you said the Koa was one of the best ukes you ever played sealed the deal.

@Doc, thanks so much for the compliments. I am glad David sent a picture of his thickness sander. That thing is super cool and a serious piece of machinery

Last edited:
That monster does earn its keep. It has two drums that can be set individually for height. I keep 80 grit on the first and 120 on the second. It can sand with just one drum or with two in succession so that the first takes off material with a rough cut and the second puts a finer finish on the workpiece.

David thanks for contributing. Feel free to jump in at any time to give details or input to the pictures shown as I post more. It has be a real treat working with you.

Congratulations, Dave! Your ukulele is going to look great and I'm sure it will sound as good as it looks.

I have an Ono baritone build that is somewhere in line behind yours, so I'm watching your thread with great excitement.

Congratulations it looks amazing, wow that wood looks amazing, i have a walnut claro super concert william king too
With a redwood top, it sounds amazing

@SoloRule, I will be sure to let you know when it arrives and get you over to play it. I will slow down buying after this arrives........famous last words.

@mds75, Thanks Mark, I'm glad I could add to yoir anticipation and excitement for your upcoming baritone. Maybe we can talk David into building tenor guitar :cool:

@mmstan, It never suprises me when you state you have something similar. I am glad you like this wood combo, I am dieing to play it and hear it for myself. My first time for Port Orford cedar or Walnut.

I am huge fan of Ono ukuleles as well as these wood choices. This is gonna be a heck of uke for sure. Can't wait to see (and hopefully hear) the final product. Cheers.

Wow ... that is nice ... thanks for sharing ... but you should know Dave has ALOT MORE that he is holding out on us!

Come Bud, cough up the really great stuff!

:iwant:

Top Bottom