PDA

View Full Version : Ono build in progress

DownUpDave
12-21-2015, 11:23 AM
Revision......more picrures added in Posts #34 & 38

Revision #2 more pictures in post #72

I had contacted David Ingalls of Ono ukuleles in mid 2014 about commissioning a 16" concert ukulele. I wanted something different, hence the 16" scale length on a concert body. I was also very interested in some curly claro walnut if he had any.........boy did he ever. I was curious about a Port Orford cedar top as well but most I had seen were devoid of any visible grain and character. Dave showed me something very unique so I said lets do it.

DownUpDave
12-21-2015, 11:33 AM
Here David is getting the sides bent and the body pieces ready for assembly

DownUpDave
12-21-2015, 11:44 AM
Next step is gluing on the kerfing. David uses very thin kerfing that he bends to shape instead of cutting slots in it like most do to allow it to bend.

hollisdwyer
12-21-2015, 11:52 AM
Looking good Dave!

Kiwiohana
12-21-2015, 11:54 AM
Wow Dave, that is going to be one purrrrty instrument!

Jim Hanks
12-21-2015, 01:14 PM
Woohoo! :nana: The process is almost funner than the product, isn't it?

Ukulele Eddie
12-21-2015, 01:33 PM
DownUpDave - Can't wait until you get it! I'm really enjoying mine. It's very responsive and has excellent sustain.

Are you planning to set it up linear or re-entrant? I went with linear using the new Southcoast set with the single (4th) wound (squeekless) string. Based on input I gave Dirk for playing style (mostly fingerstyle/chord melody) and type (solo), Dirk suggested trying it tuned up half a step to a step. I've been experimenting a bit and so far prefer it either tuned up a half step or straight linear.

Doc_J
12-21-2015, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the cool build pics. That thickness sander is a large piece of equipment. Wow.

saltytri
12-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the cool build pics. That thickness sander is a large piece of equipment. Wow.

That monster does earn its keep. It has two drums that can be set individually for height. I keep 80 grit on the first and 120 on the second. It can sand with just one drum or with two in succession so that the first takes off material with a rough cut and the second puts a finer finish on the workpiece.

DownUpDave
12-21-2015, 04:08 PM
@Hollis, Thanks for the kind words I think the end product will be really special

@Kiwiohana, Ono ukuleles always sound great so I decided to go a bit flashy. Nothing wrong with good sounding and looking

@Camsuke, I really do love walnut and have bit of a history working with it. David's piece floored me so I had to have him build me something with it

DownUpDave
12-21-2015, 04:23 PM
@Jim Hanks, Just like you I really enjoy looking at build threads. Can't wait until we get to see your baritone taking shape.

@Eddie, Your Ono sounds fabulous, having it in a HMS video infused it with serious MOJO. I talked to Dirk about strings as well and we are going with ML-WB which are mediums with wound 3rd and 4th. Dirk said I could even go HML if I like more tension, keeping it in C tuning.

@Jon, Your walnut Ono inspired me to have one built. Your videos playing Onos and the fact you said the Koa was one of the best ukes you ever played sealed the deal.

@Doc, thanks so much for the compliments. I am glad David sent a picture of his thickness sander. That thing is super cool and a serious piece of machinery

DownUpDave
12-21-2015, 04:26 PM
That monster does earn its keep. It has two drums that can be set individually for height. I keep 80 grit on the first and 120 on the second. It can sand with just one drum or with two in succession so that the first takes off material with a rough cut and the second puts a finer finish on the workpiece.

David thanks for contributing. Feel free to jump in at any time to give details or input to the pictures shown as I post more. It has be a real treat working with you.

SoloRule
12-21-2015, 04:32 PM
Dave , Just like waiting for your soon to be born baby?
Very exciting to see pic of the work in progress!
So what are you buying next? Got to look ahead now.....

mds725
12-21-2015, 06:54 PM
Congratulations, Dave! Your ukulele is going to look great and I'm sure it will sound as good as it looks.

I have an Ono baritone build that is somewhere in line behind yours, so I'm watching your thread with great excitement.

mm stan
12-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Congratulations it looks amazing, wow that wood looks amazing, i have a walnut claro super concert william king too
With a redwood top, it sounds amazing

DownUpDave
12-22-2015, 06:37 AM
@SoloRule, I will be sure to let you know when it arrives and get you over to play it. I will slow down buying after this arrives........famous last words.

@mds75, Thanks Mark, I'm glad I could add to yoir anticipation and excitement for your upcoming baritone. Maybe we can talk David into building tenor guitar :cool:

@mmstan, It never suprises me when you state you have something similar. I am glad you like this wood combo, I am dieing to play it and hear it for myself. My first time for Port Orford cedar or Walnut.

dirtiestkidever
12-22-2015, 06:49 AM
I am huge fan of Ono ukuleles as well as these wood choices. This is gonna be a heck of uke for sure. Can't wait to see (and hopefully hear) the final product. Cheers.

saltytri
12-22-2015, 06:50 AM
Maybe we can talk David into building tenor guitar :cool:

Probably not a steel string but I am scheming to build a Bigger Bari with a somewhat larger body and a 22-23" scale.

TheBathBird
12-22-2015, 07:12 AM
Oh wow, that's going to be a beauty! So exciting, and lovely to see the build process, can't wait to see the finished uke :)

sam13
12-22-2015, 07:31 AM
Wow ... that is nice ... thanks for sharing ... but you should know Dave has ALOT MORE that he is holding out on us!

Come Bud, cough up the really great stuff!

:iwant:

DownUpDave
12-22-2015, 11:19 AM
@Dirtiestkidever. Doug we have PMed a few times over the last year and a half and I know how much you love your Ono's

@David, if you build a big nylon string baritone it will no doubt be a canon. I will have to wear you down about the steel string issue :p

@ Victoria, so happy for you about the beautiful Kamaka, thanks for the compliments.

DownUpDave
12-22-2015, 11:21 AM
Wow ... that is nice ... thanks for sharing ... but you should know Dave has ALOT MORE that he is holding out on us!

Come Bud, cough up the really great stuff!

:iwant:

Yes I am holding out on the real good pictures ;). Probably post more tonight, we are just heading downtown to take our son and his new girl friend out to dinner. Thanks Simon.

Macmuse
12-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Another beautiful Ono. I keep telling myself I have no need for any more ukes. Been so besotted with my own walnut from David. I'd be tempted to get back on the build list for a different stunning combination at some point though. (Don't tell Aquadan) :rolleyes:

Added the link to the thread David did for my walnut uke... Just click on Ono walnut down there in my sig.

saltytri
12-22-2015, 04:06 PM
The claro walnut concert with bloodwood bindings is still a favorite! I'm very glad to know that you're enjoying it!

Ukulele Eddie
12-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Another beautiful Ono. I keep telling myself I have no need for any more ukes. Been so besotted with my own walnut from David. I'd be tempted to get back on the build list for a different stunning combination at some point though. (Don't tell Aquadan) :rolleyes:

Added the link to the thread David did for my walnut uke... Just click on Ono walnut down there in my sig.

You can post a review of David's site or a video of you playing it!

BTW, your uke was one of the ones that "got me" when I first checked out David's (old) web site and caused me to get on the list.

Macmuse
12-22-2015, 04:35 PM
The claro walnut concert with bloodwood bindings is still a favorite! I'm very glad to know that you're enjoying it!

Absolutely still enjoying it. It's the one I head for most... when I have time to play. It needs more attention and I need more practice to do it justice.

jgarber
12-22-2015, 05:09 PM
I like the idea of a 16 inch scale. Lately i have been playing a concert with a 15" scale and was thinking about a tenor but I would be nice to have that extra reach but longer than a std concert.

sculptor
12-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Reading your bit left ashes in my mouth. Not everybody has the money to spend on half of what we need Ukewise left alone buy high-end custom builds... please bear that in mind.

Recstar24
12-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Well merry Christmas and a happy new year to you too.

Ukulele Eddie
12-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Reading your bit left ashes in my mouth. Not everybody has the money to spend on half of what we need Ukewise left alone buy high-end custom builds... please bear that in mind.

A custom Ono starts at $1K, far less than many K brand standard models and most customs regardless of maker.

Regardless, I'm not sure why such a comment needed to be made. Really, what's the point? To rain on somebody else's parade? If you can't be happy that somebody else is excited about their new uke, regardless of cost or maker, you might want to avoid all Build in Progress and NUD threads. Seriously. I've seen ukes posted on here that cost people well over $5K and many people shared in the joy even if most could never -- or would never even if they could -- personally spend anywhere near that much.

DownUpDave
12-22-2015, 10:00 PM

I am not sure how to respond to the fact my "bit" left ashes in your mouth. At no point was there any gloating, bragging or arogance, prices have not even been mentioned. This has more to do with education, most people here are interested in how ukuleles are built. The fact that you are insulted by this thread is your problem............not mine.

I am not going to apologize for the fact I am 58 years old have worked very hard all my life. I have been saving money during the 18 months I have been on the waiting list so I can pay for this. It is no random impulse purchase. If you can't afford "half of what you need ukewise" that again is your problem........not mine. Please bear that in mind.

I know these holiday seasons can be stressful, especially on the pocket book. I wish you no ill will but please stop trying to spoil my fun, I would never do that to you.

I would appreciate it if nobody else piles on in defense of this thread. It is the season of good will towards your fellow man. This matter has been put to bed.

DownUpDave
12-22-2015, 10:37 PM
Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Here we see the back is assembled with all bracing and a label in place. The second and third picture is of the reinforcement piece being glued in place at where the side sound port will be cut out. Next two pictures show the assembled body without the top, you can see why people always commment about David's clean looking build.

I am going to point out the thin kerfing again in the hopes that David will jump in and explain why he does it this way. I know why but his explanation will be so much better than mine. Hint.....ever wondered why his binding is thin on the top and he doesn't do purfing

TheBathBird
12-22-2015, 10:47 PM

Here we see the back is assembled with all bracing and a label in place. The second picture is of the reinforcement piece being glued in place for where the side sound port will be cut out. Next to pictures show the assembled body without the top, you can see why people always commment aboit David's clean looking build.

I am going to point out the thin kerfing again in the hopes that David will jump in and explain why he does it this way. I know why but his explanation will be so much better than mine.

Trying to avoid saying wow again... but, WOW! Even the inside is beautiful!

FWIW Dave, I've found you to be one of the most generous members of this forum, encouraging to newbies and always ready to share in the joy of others' purchases - be they large or small. It's people like you who make this forum such a lovely place.

Now, keep those pictures coming...! :D

TheBathBird
12-22-2015, 10:52 PM
Brother. Grace flows from you. Humility and a generosity of spirit.

I posted a reply to the sculptor person telling them to just **** off (then deleted it :P ), you have more tact and dignity than I.

Hope this uke is everything you hope for and more mate.

You are a blessing to this community Dave. I wish for you good things always.

To the subject at hand: I love these threads. The cost is an utter irrelevance. Though I am no longer in a position to afford an Ono uke these days anymore myself, I so greatly appreciate seeing the unfolding of the build process in pictures; seeing a raw piece of wood become a work of playable art is a joy.

Many - most - members here feel the same and share your excitement my brother.

This, this, and more THIS ^^^

DownUpDave
12-22-2015, 11:11 PM
These are the last of the pictures at the moment.

First picture shows top with the completed rosette. It is sitting loosely on the body with a random fretboard laid on top for effect. I had seen a very early ukulele David had made with a similar rosette, notice how it goes right to the edge of the sound hole. There is a story behind that, not gonna tell ya. I liked, we did it.

Second picture is of the completed body without bindings yet. We were going to go curly koa but had some issues. David sent me this picture of curly myrtle strips on top of a blank of curly maple that is light brown in color. I chose the curly maple as it was very close to koa.

Third picture is of the completed body with the curly maple binding installed.

Last picture was a suprise. Our color scheme was brown and tan or golden hues. Asked Dave to find a fretboard with some streaking in it. HOLY MOTHER OF MARY he found some macassar ebony and just went ahead and made it up, then showed me the picture. If I can give a word of advice to anyone having a custom build done, let the luthier have his way. Ask him "what do you think", " how do you feel about that". His artistic sense will lead you to something special and different. Sorry I almost forgot to point out the rough shaped neck and the carbon fiber rod placed in it to stiffen and stabilize it. Lost my mind on the fretboard.

DownUpDave
12-22-2015, 11:20 PM
Jon and Victoria.......thanks so much, I really appreciate that. :cheers:

kvehe
12-23-2015, 03:10 AM
Oh, I love walnut ukes, and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished instrument and hearing it sing (or chime, or whatever it will do).

Merry Christmas to all!

saltytri
12-23-2015, 03:15 AM

Here we see the back is assembled with all bracing and a label in place. The second and third picture is of the reinforcement piece being glued in place at where the side sound port will be cut out. Next two pictures show the assembled body without the top, you can see why people always commment about David's clean looking build.

I am going to point out the thin kerfing again in the hopes that David will jump in and explain why he does it this way. I know why but his explanation will be so much better than mine. Hint.....ever wondered why his binding is thin on the top and he doesn't do purfing

Ask and ye shall receive. I've added an explanation in the "Blog" section of my web site at onoukes.com.

Doc_J
12-23-2015, 03:15 AM
Beautiful fretboard Dave! I love the look of that streaked ebony also.

It's hard to believe that just a few years ago much of that beautiful streaked ebony wood was left as unsaleable cut trees in the forest ! Thank goodness that Bob Taylor did something about it .
http://youtu.be/anCGvfsBoFY

http://youtu.be/anCGvfsBoFY

saltytri
12-23-2015, 03:47 AM
Thank for posting that video, Hodge. I hope that Dave doesn't see this as hijacking the thread, as this is really important stuff. I recall reading a similar piece on the Cameroon operation in Taylor's promotional magazine a while back. It's a particular kind of genius that can think outside of the box and imagine a new way of doing something that brings about change that is so broadly helpful.

sam13
12-23-2015, 04:24 AM
Thanks for posting the pictures, Dave. The slow peep show reveal was just killing me! LOL

I know how hard you work, and how patient you. You are kind and giving in person and on the UU forum.

You deserve this Uke, and now I officially have Ono envy!

:bowdown:

SoloRule
12-23-2015, 04:29 AM
Thank you Dave for always buying interesting and high quality ukes just so your friends can enjoy them for free.
Who's need music shop when I can just come to your house whenever I have UAS attack ?
Your babies are my nieces and nephews.

Ukulele Eddie
12-23-2015, 07:01 AM
You deserve this Uke, and now I officially have Ono envy!

:bowdown:

As co-grand Poobah's of OnoMAS (http://www.onoukuleles.com/) (the official/unofficial Ono Mutual Admiration Society), Dave and I welcome you to the club!

Kiwiohana
12-23-2015, 07:47 AM
Oh my oh my oh my. That is going to be stunning.

And couldn't go to a more deserving chap. Even thought we have never met, I strongly echo my appreciation of the way Dave posts and the support he gives everyone.

Have definitely added an Ono to my 'one day' list! Just need to learn how to play now.....

Macmuse
12-23-2015, 08:03 AM
As co-grand Poobah's of OnoMAS (http://www.onoukuleles.com/) (the official/unofficial Ono Mutual Admiration Society), Dave and I welcome you to the club!

Gotta get my act together and contribute to that page. :)

sculptor
12-23-2015, 02:48 PM
I am not sure how to respond to the fact my "bit" left ashes in your mouth. At no point was there any gloating, bragging or arogance, prices have not even been mentioned. This has more to do with education, most people here are interested in how ukuleles are built. The fact that you are insulted by this thread is your problem............not mine.

I am not going to apologize for the fact I am 58 years old have worked very hard all my life. I have been saving money during the 18 months I have been on the waiting list so I can pay for this. It is no random impulse purchase. If you can't afford "half of what you need ukewise" that again is your problem........not mine. Please bear that in mind.

I know these holiday seasons can be stressful, especially on the pocket book. I wish you no ill will but please stop trying to spoil my fun, I would never do that to you.

I would appreciate it if nobody else piles on in defense of this thread. It is the season of good will towards your fellow man. This matter has been put to bed.

I'm not insulted by your good fortune... I'm just grumped out staring at the lump of coal in my my stocking this Christmas instead of a ukulele. It doesn't sound like bragging but really more like the word I used "glorying." Note, I'm older than you and I worked hard over the years trying to make the crazy egomaniac boss happy until I was too old too work anymore.... I don't begrudge you buying $10,000+ ukes but I'm annoyed when you and others wave it the faces of others... Do you have 3 star meals in front of starving people??? No, of course not. So I ask why make a big deal about your new custom ukes here??? You want to review it fine... It's just making such a big deal about buying one and all the oos and awes that follow which leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

jgarber
12-23-2015, 03:08 PM
I'm not insulted by your good fortune... I'm just grumped out staring at the lump of coal in my my stocking this Christmas instead of a ukulele. It doesn't sound like bragging but really more like the word I used "glorying." Note, I'm older than you and I worked hard over the years trying to make the crazy egomaniac boss happy until I was too old too work anymore.... I don't begrudge you buying $10,000+ ukes but I'm annoyed when you and others wave it the faces of others... Do you have 3 star meals in front of starving people??? No, of course not. So I ask why make a big deal about your new custom ukes here??? You want to review it fine... It's just making such a big deal about buying one and all the oos and awes that follow which leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

This would be a strange site without people talking about ukuleles. Would you prefer to only talk about playing ukes vs. anything about the various quality instruments? Check out Mandolin Cafe (where I am a very long-time poster) and the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forums or other instrument forums. You will always find people posting their newly acquired instruments or building progress photos. Many participants are interested in these, whether or not they are in the market to buy one.

I am assuming that you do own a ukulele of some sort. Is it that you are not satisfied with yours and can't afford one that you want? Your opinion is valid and I (and probably a few other people here) have sympathy for your plight. OTOH it is very easy for you to avoid the threads you don't want to read (such as this one). Just don't read them!

Otherwise, do tell us what it is that you want us here to do. Stop talking about quality ukuleles? Should we limit discussion only to ukuleles under $100? I doubt that this would happen.

BTW if you are a sculptor, perhaps you have the capabilities of building a uke that would please you?

sculptor
12-23-2015, 04:14 PM
This would be a strange site without people talking about ukuleles. Would you prefer to only talk about playing ukes vs. anything about the various quality instruments? Check out Mandolin Cafe (where I am a very long-time poster) and the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forums or other instrument forums. You will always find people posting their newly acquired instruments or building progress photos. Many participants are interested in these, whether or not they are in the market to buy one.

I am assuming that you do own a ukulele of some sort. Is it that you are not satisfied with yours and can't afford one that you want? Your opinion is valid and I (and probably a few other people here) have sympathy for your plight. OTOH it is very easy for you to avoid the threads you don't want to read (such as this one). Just don't read them!

Otherwise, do tell us what it is that you want us here to do. Stop talking about quality ukuleles? Should we limit discussion only to ukuleles under $100? I doubt that this would happen.

BTW if you are a sculptor, perhaps you have the capabilities of building a uke that would please you?

Hey, people can talk about whatever and all I ask is a little sensitivity when yakking about buying the expensive ones... Dave, can tell us about his new Ono when it gets in and share his glowing review or his deep disappointment should it be a flop... People can ask away about the (Onos) and Dave can gush about it to his hearts contentment...

FYI, my uke is fine (it's the cheapest one I could find that was decent.) My need is for a uke of a different stringing... it not being practical to change strings between tunes... :)

Note, I was (it was too hard to make a living at and too expensive to be a hobby) a figurative bronze sculptor and don't think a bronze ukulele would be possible and it would be much much cheaper to buy a decent foreign made ukulele even if it was possible. It's kind of screwed up how people people drive cars costing $50,000 or $100,000 which get tossed away in a relatively small number of years yet they'd never even dream of spending 1/10th of that on a piece of art which would last a lifetime...

Recstar24
12-23-2015, 04:22 PM
Can we please keep this thread on topic? It's not hard I swear.

David, thanks for updating the blog post. I was very curious on the philosophy behind the solid linings, it makes sense when combined with some of your other design choices such as a cantilevered fretboard.

Also, I don't see in any shape or form Dave being offensive or shoving his money in people's faces. He is sharing the build and the process and he is excited and having fun and he has every right to share with anyone here that wants to enjoy in the process with him. For those that don't, there are plenty of other threads to read.

jgarber
12-23-2015, 04:34 PM
The majority of folks here have no problems with Dave's sensitivity. I did not see anything he said that would be categorized as boasting, bragging, showing off or whatever it is that annoys you. I think you are reading all the posts thru your own ash-colored glasses. Enjoy the uke you have and the music you can make on it, change the strings if you need to and stop reading this or other threads that displease you. There are many of us here interested in build progress, how these instruments we love are constructed and the quality of workmanship that is capable of some excellent luthiers.

Kiwiohana
12-23-2015, 04:36 PM
I find the fingerboard design fascinating, as well as the solid linings. As David says, I imagine it is all about lots of small improvements.

That is gong to be a fine instrument, well worthy of some oooohing and aaaaahing. :rolleyes:

Jim Hanks
12-23-2015, 05:28 PM
Hey sculptor. It's simple brus. Just **** off.
Jon, Jon. That was uncalled for too, mate. :2cents:

@sculptor - if you want to discuss your uke for a different stringing, please start your own thread. I'm sure you'll find lots of folks to discuss that with you, and we will rejoice with you when you find one that meets your need in your price range.

mds725
12-23-2015, 05:34 PM
I hate that I'm about to feed the off-the-thread topic of posting about builds, but I feel the need to speak on it and didn't want to start another thread. My apologies to Dave the builder, Dave the recipient, and everyone else.

I can empathize with sculptor. I've gone through a good part of my life seeing other people acquire things I couldn't even come close to affording and, sometimes, resenting them for it. There's an old Russian proverb: "Never complain about the size of your apartment to a homeless person." (Actually, it's probably not Russian, and I think I may have made it up myself, but people seem to take notice of it more when I introduce it as being an old Russian proverb than when I don't.) It would bother me if recipient Dave was complaining about his custom ukulele (the size of his apartment in the proverb) to people who can't afford one (homeless people in the proverb), but he's not. He's sharing an experience, the way someone might talk about what a great time he had in Europe, even if some of his listeners couldn't afford to travel to Europe. And there's an informative aspect to this thread, too, for people who are curious about how ukuleles are built and how different builders make the build decisions they make.

I admit that I have my share of expensive ukuleles, and as I type this there's an under construction baritone Ono Ukulele in Dave the builder's workshop with my name on it, so I'm not going to pretend that I can't afford an Ono Ukulele. But over the past several years, and without any change in my finances, I've migrated away from resenting people who have more than I do to a different attitude of being grateful for all the things I do have, and that has meant learning not to want the things I don't have or can't afford. During that process I've learned two things: First, for every lump of coal in my stocking, there's someone else with even more lumps of more coal than I have. So I don't complain about anything I have, even if it isn't the most expensive one there is or the one I would have gotten if I had the money (I drive a Honda Civic, for what that's worth) because i understand that despite everything in my life there is to grouse about, there's someone else on the planet who would be extraordinarily happy and grateful to step into my shoes. So I give myself the gift of that same gratitude, and when I do that, the list of things I don't and probably won't ever have becomes insignificant to me. Secondly, I have learned the joy of taking pleasure in the pleasure of others, even if their pleasure comes from owning something I can never have. I saw with my own eyes that stunningly beautiful waterfall inlay Moore Bettah ukulele that Chuck exhibited at the recent Ukulele Guild of Hawaii show in Waikiki. I couldn't afford an ukulele like that in 100 lifetimes, but it was a beautiful uke and I was grateful just to have been able to see it in person. Instead of feeling resentful, or wishing it were mine, I put myself in the head of the person who bought it and imagined the joy he was going to feel when he received it. (I even do this with cars - when I get mad at a driver who does something stupid on the road, I imagine him on the day that he bought his car, and how happy he must have been to have become its new owner, and then it's harder to be mad at him.) I'm not trying to preach to you, sculptor. I completely understand how it must feel to see someone posting photos of an ukulele you know you wouldn't be able to buy. Please try to remember that whenever you say something about your inexpensive ukulele, there's someone out there who couldn't afford your ukulele and might feel about you the way you seem to feel about recipient Dave. I'm just trying to encourage you to see the world a little bit through the eyes of other people - those more fortunate than you as well as those less fortunate than you, and to try to be thankful for the things you CAN call your own.

Jon, I also have to say that I don't think your last post (#56 in this thread) is at all in the spirit of Aloha, Ukulele Underground, or empathy. Just my opinion, of course. But I strongly encourage you to delete it, and I'll delete this reference to it in this post.

Thank you for allowing me to weigh in on the propriety of posting a build thread, and I apologize for contributing to the derailing of the thread.

sam13
12-23-2015, 05:43 PM
Hey, people can talk about whatever and all I ask is a little sensitivity when yakking about buying the expensive ones... Dave, can tell us about his new Ono when it gets in and share his glowing review or his deep disappointment should it be a flop... People can ask away about the (Onos) and Dave can gush about it to his hearts contentment...

FYI, my uke is fine (it's the cheapest one I could find that was decent.) My need is for a uke of a different stringing... it not being practical to change strings between tunes... :)

Note, I was (it was too hard to make a living at and too expensive to be a hobby) a figurative bronze sculptor and don't think a bronze ukulele would be possible and it would be much much cheaper to buy a decent foreign made ukulele even if it was possible. It's kind of screwed up how people people drive cars costing $50,000 or $100,000 which get tossed away in a relatively small number of years yet they'd never even dream of spending 1/10th of that on a piece of art which would last a lifetime...

Hardly yakking about the expensive Ukes. This Uke is not expensive. I think it is quite affordable.

Dave is simply enthusiastic about a Uke he has been waiting for a long time. I think David has done an excellent job on it and I for one enjoy the banter among fellow UUers.

Sculptor, find another thread to read and leave this one for the oohing and aaahing.

sculptor
12-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Jon, Jon. That was uncalled for too, mate. :2cents:

@sculptor - if you want to discuss your uke for a different stringing, please start your own thread. I'm sure you'll find lots of folks to discuss that with you, and we will rejoice with you when you find one that meets your need in your price range.

I've got a low-g but I'd also love to play a high-g strung ukulele. However, that doesn't mean I want to give up on low-g. In fact my uke probably best suits low-g. If there is a magic wand that I can wave over my uke to restring it in mere seconds now is the time to speak up! :)

Ditto, what you said about Jon!

TheBathBird
12-23-2015, 08:14 PM
It's kind of screwed up how people people drive cars costing $50,000 or $100,000 which get tossed away in a relatively small number of years yet they'd never even dream of spending 1/10th of that on a piece of art which would last a lifetime...

Given what you say here, I find your attitude very strange. This ukulele is like a piece of art, and this thread is not about Dave crowing over an expensive purchase, it's an opportunity for people to enjoy the work of an artist, and appreciate the process involved - at least it was before it was completely derailed. It is the very antithesis of the mass-produced cars you mention in your post.

Thank goodness for people like Dave, they are the reason artists (and artisans) can continue to make beautiful things.

buddhuu
12-23-2015, 10:49 PM
Closing for review. Please check back in a few minutes. Thanks.

buddhuu
12-24-2015, 12:20 AM
Sculptor, this is, arguably, both the right time and the wrong place for your comments. At this time of year the contrasts in people's lives are highlighted in many ways. Inequality, like many things, is a spectrum, not a binary or boolean thing. Even waving a Makala Dolphin could be deemed insensitive if one did it in front of a homeless, starving person or a person who may have lost the use of their hands. But I take your points, and I feel your pain.

That said, you won't really really contribute to the struggle for social justice and equality by peeing on one guy's bonfire. Dave's new uke isn't the cause of your problems, nor those of anyone else who may be having a hard time. I neither know nor want to know Dave's financial status but (from what I've read over the years) most of our members are not millionaires.

I see this thread as being about one guy's excitement over the construction and eventual arrival of a handcrafted musical instrument. I see no bragging or gloating, just excitement and enthusiasm. This is not the place for your objection, Sculptor. For the root cause you need to look to your political process of choice, for objection to ostentation and the flaunting of wealth you need to look to a place where that's what's actually happening.

A different aspect of this thread is the insulting, confrontational tone adopted by some participants. Please familiarise yourselves with the rules. If something affects you so deeply that you feel moved to become abusive then you should report the offending item to your mods. You are not to take it upon yourselves to judge and insult your fellow members. The forum golden rule is "don't be a jerk". What constitutes being a jerk is decided ad hoc by your mod team.

This is supposedly a season of goodwill. If anyone makes me ban them during the holiday I will be annoyed. As a wise man once said, be excellent to each other... And party on, dudes.

Please keep this thread on topic now and let the other stuff lie. (I included the "please" bit out of courtesy. That was actually an instruction, not a request.)

Many thanks for your anticipated cooperation, and a very happy holiday to all.

Dave, I hope your new uke is everything you want it to be.

dkcrown
12-24-2015, 01:52 AM
Dave, your soon to be new uke looks magnificent!

David, I think that you build some of, if not the classiest ukes on the planet. And I for one, love to see progress pics of them.

Boy this place has changed.

Merry Christmas everyone and peace in the New Year.

Rllink
12-24-2015, 03:09 AM
These are the last of the pictures at the moment.

First picture shows top with the completed rosette. It is sitting loosely on the body with a random fretboard laid on top for effect. I had seen a very early ukulele David had made with a similar rosette, notice how it goes right to the edge of the sound hole. There is a story behind that, not gonna tell ya. I liked, we did it.

Second picture is of the completed body without bindings yet. We were going to go curly koa but had some issues. David sent me this picture of curly myrtle strips on top of a blank of curly maple that is light brown in color. I chose the curly maple as it was very close to koa.

Third picture is of the completed body with the curly maple binding installed.

Last picture was a suprise. Our color scheme was brown and tan or golden hues. Asked Dave to find a fretboard with some streaking in it. HOLY MOTHER OF MARY he found some macassar ebony and just went ahead and made it up, then showed me the picture. If I can give a word of advice to anyone having a custom build done, let the luthier have his way. Ask him "what do you think", " how do you feel about that". His artistic sense will lead you to something special and different. Sorry I almost forgot to point out the rough shaped neck and the carbon fiber rod placed in it to stiffen and stabilize it. Lost my mind on the fretboard.

Nice. You're gonna have a one of a kind. That's really cool.

CTurner
12-24-2015, 06:10 AM
Dave, I'm really enjoying the progress reports. This will be a stunning uke. Already looking forward to hearing a sound file. : )

DownUpDave
12-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Thanks for all your support and acceptance of this kind of thread for what it is worth "A celebration of the ukulele and the work of a skilled craftsman"

wayfarer75
12-24-2015, 10:29 AM
I love that fretboard! Interesting what used to be considered scrap is now beautiful.

It's fun to watch a build in progress. I really appreciate the luthiers who share the photos.

Peace Train
12-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Really enjoying how this build is shaping up. Have a feeling that fretboard is going to make it all come together. Excited for you!

vanflynn
12-24-2015, 11:29 AM
Beautiful uke. I love seeing progress pictures, it really gives you an appreciation for the craftsmanship involved.

Looking forward (as I'm sure you are!) to see the completed uke and hopefully hearing it

Thanks for sharing.

ukuleleden
12-24-2015, 01:05 PM
Beautiful, Dave! You're going to cherish this Uke even more having had the personal input you had, as well as seeing each part of the intricate building process. Thanks for sharing the views!

DownUpDave
12-29-2015, 02:22 PM
David just sent me pictures of the neck. It has the fretboard attached with fret wires installed. The neck is being shaped at this point and the headstock veneer has been glued on.

Notice in pictures #2 & 3 you can see the carbon fibre on the under side of the exposed part of the fretboard. David does a cantileverd fretboard so the carbon fiber is used to stiffen it.

sam13
12-29-2015, 03:31 PM
Nice looking fret board.

DownUpDave
12-29-2015, 04:39 PM
Very pretty Dave. Which tuners are you being installed?

I am having the Gotoh UPT, black on black. I have them on two other ukes and I really like them.

Kiwiohana
12-29-2015, 04:40 PM
OK. Prettiest fretboard. Ever.

What he said!

saltytri
12-29-2015, 04:42 PM
Those are the "Stealth" Gotohs :)

DownUpDave
12-30-2015, 12:29 AM
Thanks guys for the compliments on the fretboard, it was all Davids doing. He has a great eye and it was a really nice suprise.

@Campbell, David's "stealth" comment was just refering to the black on black, should have maybe said "ninja". I know the Gotoh Stealth tuners you have and they are amazing. Mine will be the UPT which are inline and look like friction tuners but are internaly geared.

saltytri
12-30-2015, 01:19 AM
Yes, Dave's right about that. I forgot that there really is a Stealth tuner marketed by that name! "Ninja" is a better description for Dave's.

hollisdwyer
12-30-2015, 02:40 AM
That is a very beautiful piece of ebony being use for the fretboard. The Gotoh UTP all black tuners are a good choice to complement that piece of wood.

strumsilly
12-30-2015, 04:09 AM
I have really enjoyed seeing the build process of this beautiful instrument and I hope it will bring you and all who hear it much joy. Sorry about the rain on your parade, but you handled it well . eagerly awaiting a sound sample. And Happy New Year .

DownUpDave
12-30-2015, 06:34 AM
I have really enjoyed seeing the build process of this beautiful instrument and I hope it will bring you and all who hear it much joy. Sorry about the rain on your parade, but you handled it well . eagerly awaiting a sound sample. And Happy New Year .

Thanks Andy and a Happy New Year to you and yours as well. I will definitely do a NUD and a recording once I have spent a bit of time with it.

DownUpDave
01-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Dave sent more more pictures, so time to share. He stated he is trial fitting the neck so the bottom of the heel can be marked and cut to accept the heel cap. I don't know what wood he will use so it will be another nice suprise.

The walnut looks very light coloured in these pictures without much contrast or dramatic grain. This is because it has just been sanded and there is no finish on it, which will really make everything pop. The last pic, the wood was wet down to give a truer showing of the final tones once finish has been applied.

sam13
01-03-2016, 11:54 AM
MAN …. THIS IS A STUNNER … WOW!

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: Dave Ingalls!

vanflynn
01-03-2016, 01:01 PM
Really nice combination of wood. Did you say what type of finish it will have?

DownUpDave
01-03-2016, 01:08 PM
Really nice combination of wood. Did you say what type of finish it will have?

David does a Tru Oil finish. As far as I know he does not do lacquer.

joekulele
01-04-2016, 08:24 PM
That baby is so pretty, I can't wait for it to be done!

Ukulele Eddie
01-05-2016, 05:00 PM
For those enjoying David's build (or my review in the Reviews section), HMS just posted a 16" concert spruce/myrtle for sale. Sounds and looks fantastic!

http://www.theukulelesite.com/ono-16-scale-concert-spruce-myrtle-43.html

DownUpDave
01-14-2016, 10:33 PM

David sent me these two pictures. The finish has been applied, Tru Oil, the bridge is sitting loose on the top and still needs final shaping as does the nut. As David said we are in the home stretch now.

Nickie
01-15-2016, 08:08 AM
Like like like like!

Peace Train
01-15-2016, 09:27 AM
Shaping up to be a gorgeous uke. Thanks for taking us along on the ride!

SoloRule
01-16-2016, 04:25 PM
Can't wait to get my hands on your new addition.
Any idea on delivery date? Time for another show and tell party!

saltytri
01-17-2016, 06:46 PM
This one is ready to go as soon as the case arrives. A few final photos can be seen in the Gallery at onoukes.com.

Thanks to all for your interest in this build. And thanks especially to Dave for a fruitful and enjoyable collaboration and for waiting patiently for over a year while my hands got back into shape!

DownUpDave
01-18-2016, 01:17 AM
Thank you David for all your hard work creativity and dedication to your craft, it has certainly been a pleasure.

Here is one teaser photo, see the rest of them at onoukes.com

billten
01-18-2016, 05:48 AM
Wow, very nice. I'm looking forward to the NUD on this one...

Ukulele Eddie
01-18-2016, 06:16 AM
Thank you David for all your hard work creativity and dedication to your craft, it has certainly been a pleasure.

Here is one teaser photo, see the rest of them at onoukes.com

Looks great, Dave! Very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. What string set are you starting with (I think I already shared, but as of now I have a Southeast low G, and Aquila Red C-E-A = sounds fantabulous!).

DownUpDave
01-18-2016, 07:29 AM
Looks great, Dave! Very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. What string set are you starting with (I think I already shared, but as of now I have a Southeast low G, and Aquila Red C-E-A = sounds fantabulous!).

I have it strung with South Coast ML-WB which are medium gauge linear with wound 4th & 3rd strings. David sent me an email last night to let me know it was complete. He said this about the strings "The strings seem to be a winner on this one. The sound is very nice and the body supports the low G just fine".

If it sounds as good as yours or the one currently for sale on HMS I will be very happy.

rappsy
01-20-2016, 06:11 AM
This is a great anticipation thread.

Beautiful Dave. Love the side sound hole and the blonde Port Cedar top is really striking. We'll be waiting for your actual NUD.