SHINY uke

1193759831255-1185238247.gif

Glitter glue?

(Don't reccomend it though.)

you can try a spray on gloss they sell at homedepot but im not sure if thats ok to do.

Actually, I just refinished one of my old broken ukes tonight to try make it shiny. First I used some Fromby's lemon oil treatment for furniture, and rubbed it everywhere. Then I put on some Formby's Tung Oil Finish (High Gloss). And on top of that, used some clear spray shellac. It is still drying now, and I have no idea how it will affect sound, since I still haven't put the tuners or strings back on it, but it does indeed look shinier.

You can try that at your own risk.

You could try T-Cut, the stuff they use on car paint to restore colour and shine and to remove light scratching and swirls. For those in the UK, Wilkinsons do a cheaper product that does the same job very well.

See the article at #7 in the table of contents on this page (link).

Please also read the additional notes at #8 on that page as they deal with a few things to be careful of.

I followed those instructions on my matt mahogany uke and it came up very nicely indeed. Not a garish high gloss, but a lovely gentle shine.

Edit to add: of course we can't predict how it would work on yours - so, I'm afraid, at your own risk, etc...

Or you could take it to a luthier and have them do a nice new paint job on it....of course it would probably cost more than the uke cost - but it would be a shiny, happy uke.

Top Bottom