or any natural things to make it shiny

experimentjon
04-03-2009, 08:34 PM
http://shop.ginakdesigns.com/images/1193759831255-1185238247.gif
Glitter glue?

(Don't reccomend it though.)

UkEdman90
04-03-2009, 08:36 PM
you can try a spray on gloss they sell at homedepot but im not sure if thats ok to do.

experimentjon
04-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Actually, I just refinished one of my old broken ukes tonight to try make it shiny. First I used some Fromby's lemon oil treatment for furniture, and rubbed it everywhere. Then I put on some Formby's Tung Oil Finish (High Gloss). And on top of that, used some clear spray shellac. It is still drying now, and I have no idea how it will affect sound, since I still haven't put the tuners or strings back on it, but it does indeed look shinier.

You can try that at your own risk.

buddhuu
04-04-2009, 12:41 AM
You could try T-Cut, the stuff they use on car paint to restore colour and shine and to remove light scratching and swirls. For those in the UK, Wilkinsons do a cheaper product that does the same job very well.

See the article at #7 in the table of contents on this page (link) (http://www.ukuke.co.uk/magazine.htm#GETTING A GLOSS FINISH ON A MATT STAGG SOPRANO).

Please also read the additional notes at #8 on that page as they deal with a few things to be careful of.

I followed those instructions on my matt mahogany uke and it came up very nicely indeed. Not a garish high gloss, but a lovely gentle shine.

Edit to add: of course we can't predict how it would work on yours - so, I'm afraid, at your own risk, etc...

toyrtle
04-04-2009, 12:43 AM
Or you could take it to a luthier and have them do a nice new paint job on it....of course it would probably cost more than the uke cost - but it would be a shiny, happy uke.

Howlin Hobbit
04-04-2009, 11:40 AM
As you play it you'll get little shiny spots from your strumming fingers and where your arm rests on it.

These not only look cool, they tell world how much you love your ukulele.