Big Island Hawaii Shops

McDougall

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be on the big island for a couple of weeks in January and while there I would like to visit some ukulele shops, manufacturers, etc. Can anyone provide a list of shops to visit, make recommendations as to who has the best selection, a builder that will give a good tour, etc.

thanks!

C.

Hilo Guitars has a great selection. The Hawi Gallery has lots of used instruments. The Holualoa Ukulele Gallery sells ukes from local builders.

Ditto on those 3. Especially Hawi Gallery. Richard has some cool stuff way beyond 'ukuleles. Classic Hawaiian vinyls, pedals, shakers, strings, lots of books...

Ditto on those 3. Especially Hawi Gallery. Richard has some cool stuff way beyond 'ukuleles. Classic Hawaiian vinyls, pedals, shakers, strings, lots of books...

Agree. Easy to find and get to. Easy wander through Hawi then go through and take a hike down Pololu valley.

And, if you're not just shopping but also wanting to play, be sure and visit the Thursday morning gathering on the Kona side, led by Alan Hale. The group meets at 9:30 am at Akule Supply (it's an outdoor restaurant, perched at the edge of Keauhou Bay) and plays for about 90 minutes. They're very welcoming of visitors.

Here are details and an account of what it's like: http://ukuleletonya.com/blog/2015/11/sharing-aloha-via-ukulele-on-hawaii-island

I'm positive they'll welcome you with aloha!

I was just in Kona over Thanksgiving. I saw three shops. There is Just Ukes on Ali'i drive right in the tourist area. This is mainly retail sales without much else. They have t-shirts.

There was a music store 10 or 15 minutes south but I can't find it right now. That was more a players store than Just Ukes. They were having t-shirts designed but had none when I was there.

This is probably where you want to go:
http://www.konaweb.com/ukegallery/
It was closed when we wandered past but I did talk to one of the luthiers from there after spotting his t-shirt at breakfast one morning. Make sure you call them "you-ka-lele's" as that seems to rankle people there!

Hawi Gallery
Kiernan's Music up above Kona (about 5 minutes from Holualoa Ukulele Gallery).
Also Hawaii Ukulele & Guitar at King's Shops in Waikoloa Village.

A big thanks to all the suggestions on this thread! I spent some quality time at Hawi Gallery, Hilo Guitars, Holualoa Ukulele Gallery, along with several others. I came home with a couple of beautiful vintage koa ukes and a new Kamaka tenor which I have been attempting to wear out.

A big thanks to all the suggestions on this thread! I spent some quality time at Hawi Gallery, Hilo Guitars, Holualoa Ukulele Gallery, along with several others. I came home with a couple of beautiful vintage koa ukes and a new Kamaka tenor which I have been attempting to wear out.

Cool! I love the Hawi Gallery. Where did you buy your Kamaka tenor?

Cool! I love the Hawi Gallery. Where did you buy your Kamaka tenor?

I bought the Kamaka in Hilo at Hilo Guitars. Ditto on the Hawi gallery, and Hawi in general. Could be my future home. We fell in love.

I bought the Kamaka in Hilo at Hilo Guitars. Ditto on the Hawi gallery, and Hawi in general. Could be my future home. We fell in love.

Hilo Guitars is a very cool place as well. Congratulations on your new Kamaka and your new-to-you vintage ukes.

This list is great. I am starting to plan a trip to the Big Island this summer, and will be in Hilo, probably stopping in Kona and heading down to Volcanoes national park.

Besides these shops, are there any suggestions of builders who offer tours, or places where ukulele events typically take place? Any local Big Island players who would have a website to check out?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

I'd contact Sam Rosen at the Holualoa gallery to see who he recommends for a tour. Most guys here build at their home shop and unless you have a relationship with them it's a bit intrusive to pay them a visit. But I'm sure Sam can point you to somebody who is more prepared and available for such visits than others.

Here's the event bible for our island: http://www.konaweb.com/musicians/events.shtml.

Awesome, thanks!

Yeah, I did not mean an uninvited drop in at a builder, but if there were any small factories, or open gallery type events.

Gonna check out the artist calendar now.

Top Bottom