Please help me with this picking pattern

onlyablur

Reaction score
Hello all!

I saw this video recently and really like the way he picked, but I couldn't tell how to do it just from watching. Could anyone please help? I've been playing for only 3 months. Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited:
His ukulele is low G, so I can't quite match the sound. But, it sort of looks like he is hitting two different strings one at a time with his thumb and then coming up twice with his index finger on the bottom two strings together. Hope this helps. Any other takes?

Last edited:
Hi, to me it looks like thumb alternates between melody and a soft roll or strum followed by two upward plucks with index and middle fingers.
If you can, sing or hum the melody and try to strike the strings to follow.
Something like dah dah/ dum dum dum/ dah dah/ dum dum dum.
Perhaps some one can describe the rhymn better.

Hi. I´m not sure, but isn´t it 3/4 rhythm. I tried it this way and it sounded nice for me (playing since a year):

1 (thumb on g)
and (thumb on c)
2 (index on e and middle on a simultanously)

3 (index on e and middle on a simultanously)

greets from germany

I agree on 3/4 time. I slowed the video down and it looks like:

1 thumb on G
+ thumb on E
2 index on E and middle on A
+ index on C
3 index on E and middle on A
+ index on C

I agree on 3/4 time. I slowed the video down and it looks like:

1 thumb on G
+ thumb on E
2 index on E and middle on A
+ index on C
3 index on E and middle on A
+ index on C

Yes, I think you have it. It was the two fingers used simultaneously I missed.

I´m proud :) I wasn´t that far away.

I think the low g on the 1 followed by the "high" e on the + sounds better than the high g followed by the "high" e I have to play since my concert ist a high g.

Nice hawaiian song by the way

Thank you all for your replies! You have been really helpful! I agree the low g sounds better.

By the way, how do you slow the video down when you are watching on youtube?

Thank you all for your replies! You have been really helpful! I agree the low g sounds better.

By the way, how do you slow the video down when you are watching on youtube?

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...YouTube-a-great-teacher&p=1791094#post1791094

or

4. Videos can be slowed down to half or quarter speed. In full screen video hitting the < and > keys will slow down or speed up the video playback. This can also be accessed by opening settings (the gear) in a smaller windowed video.

Top Bottom