NUD - vintage Pono...

UkerDanno

Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a vintage Pono? I partly started this to learn more about Pono since I now own one. So, post up Pono history if you have knowledge of it.

I've been watching a craigs ad for a few months and thought this looked interesting, but he was asking $350 and I didn't want that much invested in a "spare". So, a couple days ago the price dropped to $250, so I posted on here to get info on what it was for sure. Turns out it's an early Pono PCE (Pono Concert Electric) all solid mahogany with factory installed pick up.

So, the guy was the original owner and said he's had it for about 10 years and is one of the early Ponos. It's hardly been played and looks like new, even with the original strings, which had the look and feel of old stale spaghetti! It really didn't sound too bad, though.

IMG_20151222_153041726.jpgIMG_20151222_153128378.jpg IMG_20151222_153101889.jpgIMG_20151222_153109284.jpgIMG_20151222_153117291.jpg

The only "blem" is on the end where the seams are, there's a bit of gap in the binding and wave in the finish.

The tuners aren't really my taste visually, but after changing strings, they work as well or better than anything I've ever used, really smooth.

Some more pic's...the grain in the mahogany is really nice, the last couple days have been overcast, can't wait for the sun to come out and maybe get some pic's that will really show it off.
IMG_20151222_153055768.jpgIMG_20151222_153123804.jpgIMG_20151222_153146590.jpgIMG_20151222_153156354.jpgIMG_20151222_153215116.jpg

So, today, I took off the old spaghetti strings and cleaned the fret board with some lemon oil and after putting 3 layers of tape on the shiny areas, very carefully filed the sharp fret ends with a small file I had...major improvement! Then installed a set of Martins...it sounds great and they are settling in, but I'm thinking Worth Browns may be the trick for this one.
IMG_20151223_105521736.jpg IMG_20151223_112342.jpg

Last edited:
It's a nice looking uke! I bet it will be happy to be played.

I like the Worth Brown's. Just put them on my KoAloha Super Soprano. They took a bit of the twang out of it.

It is still bright and I quite like them.

The spaghetti strings are most likely the original Ko'olau Golds that would have been on it. I've been told when they age they lose their original transparency. That sure is some pretty grain in that mahogany. Congratulations on the acquisition!
Happy Holidays
joe

Congratulations on a great score, UkerDanno, and thanks for buying this one for all of us, as it has been intriguing to find out more about this "vintage" Pono. Looks like they have made a few changes over the years. The tuners look like what Ohana has been using on some of their models. The body shape of their concerts might be a little different now, and the rosettes are rope or abalone today.

Seeing this made me want to find out a little more about the history of Pono and their earlier line-up, so I've applied the "Wayback Machine" to their website. Looks like your model came out in spring 2006. You can find a little more about the specs here.

Anyway, great looking uke, and great story behind it. Enjoy it!

The tuners look like what Ohana has been using on some of their models.

Seeing this made me want to find out a little more about the history of Pono and their earlier line-up, so I've applied the "Wayback Machine" to their website. Looks like your model came out in spring 2006. You can find a little more about the specs here.

Anyway, great looking uke, and great story behind it. Enjoy it!

Yeah, these tuners are similar looking, but a LOT better than what Ohana is using today.

Mahalo for the additional info!!! Now I'm curious about the PKC! :shaka:

Ah, this forum is such an enabler for my UAS...

I love those tuners. They give it flavor.

I love those tuners. They give it flavor.

flavor, yeah, that's it! Initially I thought about changing them, I like the open gear Grover or Waverlys, guess it's the gearhead in me and the simplicity, I suppose. But, after using them, no need to change.

It's great hearing stories about finding THAT UKE, the one that you weren't even looking for: Almost as if it found you.

Enjoy.

It's great hearing stories about finding THAT UKE, the one that you weren't even looking for: Almost as if it found you.

Enjoy.

It seems like it did find its new owner- a ukulele that has just been waiting to be played again :). Might make a good plot for a Pixar film. Great find; enjoy!

Great looking Uke! I'm accustomed to seeing those Kluson tuners on Gibson Electrics... They work great though, I bet!

Congrats and enjoy your unique Pono find!

Was going to throw in that the tuners looked like my '62 Gibson Es330 Kluson tuners. Vintage Klusons are expensive as heck. Was looking for an original set for the '62 and I think they were over 300 dollars.

Very sweet find!

Great looking instrument - the mahogany is beautiful!

Top Bottom